"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-06-2009, 10:41 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

I adore garlic but i've never heard of it pickled. How do you use it? Sliced with chicken on a sandwich? As part of a salad?

Old 02-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupDragon View Post
I adore garlic but i've never heard of it pickled. How do you use it? Sliced with chicken on a sandwich? As part of a salad?
That's one way. You can also eat it straight out of the jar like candy. I usually buy it at the Ren Faire but now that I know how simple it is, I can just do it at home. You have to be careful though, it is possible to eat too much because it's so good.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
That's one way. You can also eat it straight out of the jar like candy. I usually buy it at the Ren Faire but now that I know how simple it is, I can just do it at home. You have to be careful though, it is possible to eat too much because it's so good.
Thank you! I shall make some this weekend.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #14
Master Chef

If you like some heat add some sliced fresh jalapeno to the jar with the garlic.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:53 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCook View Post
If you like some heat add some sliced fresh jalapeno to the jar with the garlic.
I do like a little heat so I plan to do this. I can't get Jalapeno locally so standard chillis will have to do.
OK, so I plan to sterilize my jars, fill with peeled cloves of garlic and a sliced chilli in each jar. I'm then going to dissolve a tsp each of sea salt and sugar in rice wine vinegar and fill each jar with this solution. Then I plan to store in the refridgerator.
Does that sound OK?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Okay, I've done three jars using clean brand new Ball mason jars. Was I supposed to boil them first? Oh well, it's too late now. How do you boil a mason jar? I've had Pyrex explode in boiling water so I try and keep glass away from water that's that hot.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #17
Head Chef

Did you place your Pyrex dish directly on the bottom of the pot when you boiled it? That will break it. You need a towel or rack to keep the jar(s) off the bottom.

Jars should be "clean" before putting food in them for the refrigerator. Sterilizing doesn't do much good if they are exposed to the air and handled again, though I guess it makes people feel better.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #18
Executive Chef

It may have touched the metal on the bottom. It was scary because it was a clean break on one where I could have glued the pieces together and the other shattered.

I clean everything in hot, hot water. It's vinegar, a natural cleaning agent, I'm sure it will be fine.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:44 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Okay, something odd is occurring. Some of the pieces of garlic in a couple of the jars are turning blue-green. Not mold green, literally a light blueish-green. I combined my garlic with store bought already pealed garlic, but I don't know if that's the problem. I don't even have a way to know if the blue garlic is mine or the store bought. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? It's not mold because they are still hard and firm, mold generally makes things soft in my experience. It's the weirdest thing. I don't know what to do. I certainly don't want to toss the jars. Could the garlic be turning the garlic? It's in the Rice Wine Vinegar jar.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

We have had posts on this before Callisto. I do not remember the reason, but I believe the bottom line is it is perfectly safe and normal. Someone else will have to jump in with the details though.