Please tell me... what are grits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tancowgirl, you might want to watch 'My Cousin Vinny' (Joe Pesci & Marisa Tomei) to know more about Grits. :LOL: (Can't help but remember all the funny scenes...!)

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, grits are the same thing as polenta, just a different name. Grits are usually served for breakfast and polenta is often served for dinner. Grits will sometimes have (I think) cream and butter in them and polenta will have more savory (but not always) things in them like herbs, cheese, and meats.

It's been so long since I've had cream of wheat that I don't even remember what it tastes like. I need to get some just to try it again.

Shrimp and Grits is a very delicious entree common in the Carolinas and (maybe) other parts of the south.

In Italy polenta is often served for breakfast.

Try making grits or polenta with chicken stock and cheese, using about half the amount of liquid called for, turn onto an oiled cookie sheet and make a square or rectangle about 3/4 inch thick. Let cool. Then grill. YUM.

I usually add scallions, cilantro, hot peppers, etc. and seasonings, too. Or basil, if it's polenta.

crewsk said:
Check this out for the diffrences between grits & polenta. http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20021007.html

Thank you so much for posting this cuz my next question was....."What the heck is Polenta?"

Very informative site on that.....I never would have guessed thats what it was....when I read polenta I could only think of mushrooms (Iknow!) but thats what came to mind!

Thank you...

The more I have read about them the more I want to try them but I'm scared! Can someone make them for me and just not tell me what they are till I try them?

tancowgirl2000 said:
The more I have read about them the more I want to try them but I'm scared! Can someone make them for me and just not tell me what they are till I try them?

I'd be happy to but I don't think they'd make it Canada in the mail!:LOL: And you're welcome for the site, I found it quite interesting too.

Right on the button Ironchef...I like mine with milk and sugar. DH mashes his eggs into grits..Yuk..
In the South they serve Grits in place of hash browns with your breakfast.
Dove

:) In the south grits is the standard side with eggs in the morning I also found out that down south their grits are so popular they are not that great at making hashbrowns.Actually grits are really good with salt,pepper and butter.I have been wanting to try a grits and shrimp etc as a dinner side dish.I think they are basicaly a polenta also, but the yellow corn meal has a bit more flavor.
I think if you where putting them on the dinner menu with seafood,sausage etc I would call them white polenta ,sounds better then grits to me.

Last edited:
tancowgirl2000 said:
What the heck are grits??? I thought they were like hash browns but apparently not...plz tell me!

Grits are small broken grains of corn. They were first produced by Native Americans centuries ago.The corn is dried to a 14% moisture content and the kernels of grain are run through the mill stone where they are ground to a certain texture and then sifted through two wire mesh screens. The three products sorted are white corn meal, white corn grits and the bran that pops off. There is a fine bran still in the grits product. This bran will never soften up with cooking. Depending on personal preference, the bran can be left in or removed by rinsing the grits before cooking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom