Polenta - how do you make and serve it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
I made polenta for the first time a few weeks ago. Forgot to post that night :blush: but it was great. I made it in my Instant Pot multicooker, so it took 15 minutes to cook, no stirring required :clap:

I made it with chicken broth, finished with fresh corn kernels and mascarpone cheese, seasoned with Penzeys Mural of Flavor, salt and pepper. It was amazing. Served it with roasted chicken.

Wondering what your favorite ways are to flavor and serve it.

Attachments

• 1461673766862.jpg
    1461673766862.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 198
I like to cook it up real thick, then pour it into loaf pan and refrigerate until firm. After it's nice and solid, I slice it about 1/2-inch thick, dredge it in fine cornmeal and fry until hot and crisp and slightly golden brown. Sometimes I'll serve it as a side right out of the frying pan or I'll use it as a "pasta" base for a marinara or spaghetti sauce.

In any event, when I make it for any of the above purposes, I add any number of seasonings/spices. The usual suspects include garlic, rosemary, basil, oregano. Sometimes I'll mix a combination of them into the polenta. Other times I'll simply combine some grated Parmesan cheese into it and leave out the other seasonings/spices. It just depends on my mood and what else will be on our plates.

Thanks, Katie! I forgot to mention, when I tasted it, I thought it needed something more, so I stirred in a couple tablespoons of white balsamic vinegar. Sparked it right up! :)

I used broth and wisk the polenta as i pour it in.
Kind of at a low hear, or else, like pea soup, does that funky bubbling thing splattering stuff all over the place ( also the risk of letting it burn on the bottom).
In addition, at the end, I grate in about 1 - 2 cups of cheddar cheese and once melted and mixed in, I add a tbs or two of butter to finish it off.

Serve it on the side with chili.

Sometimes, I will pour it in a greased pan, place in the fridge till cool. It hardens up to a firm consistency. I then cut it up into burger sized squares, and either pan fry or grill. And still serve it with chili.

Ooo, love the idea to have it with chili, larry.

Since I don't have a cool Instant Pot (but it is on my list of "treats" after we move...IF we move), I cook it stove-top in my 4-quart Staub Cocotte. Low and slow, and stirring a lot when I first add the corn meal to the water. LOVE that pot, and will buy more Staub someday...

Although I've done the chill-and-fry thingy like Katie does, I mostly use it as a bed for something in lieu of noodles or rice. IF I have any leftovers to fry, I don't want chicken flavor and Mural of Flavor mixed with the maple syrup I pour over in the morning. :ermm:

I've added all kinds of cheeses - cheddar, smoked Gouda, Parmesan - but only as I'm plating it. In fact, I just made it last week, topped it with sauteed Italian sausage, peppers, and onion, and dowsed generously with microplaned Parma cheese.

I like it with salt and butter added to the water. I eat it hot or cold then fried. Sometimes I will use tomato sauce instead of water to cook it and add meatballs in sauce till hot then add the corn meal.

I like to make it with mascarpone or cream cheese and parm, thick enough to be a bit runny when hot, cools to firm and can slice and fry.

Love polenta. Quick fact for those that might not know. Polenta is actually the name of the dish and not the ingredient. Rather like "mashed potatoes." You can make all sorts such as chestnut polenta but the most common is corn. Although you can by "polenta" It's simply fine corn meal.

My favourite way is have it the consistency of mashed potatoes with lashings of butter mixed into it and some nice flavoursome cheese. I love to serve it with meatballs in a rich tomato red wine sauce.

Love polenta. Quick fact for those that might not know. Polenta is actually the name of the dish and not the ingredient. Rather like "mashed potatoes." You can make all sorts such as chestnut polenta but the most common is corn. Although you can by "polenta" It's simply fine corn meal.

My favourite way is have it the consistency of mashed potatoes with lashings of butter mixed into it and some nice flavoursome cheese. I love to serve it with meatballs in a rich tomato red wine sauce.

Wow, that is exactly the same as Paella! Named for the pan it is cooked in, with many variations. Or are you talking about the main ingredient? Welcome to DC!

Wow, that is exactly the same as Paella! Named for the pan it is cooked in, with many variations. Or are you talking about the main ingredient? Welcome to DC!

Thank you for the welcome! Glad to be here!

Named for the thing it is rather than the cooking utensil. :)

Actually making paella de valenciana, tomorrow!

Polenta is basically a mush made from grain. Before corn was brought to Europe after European explorers came to the Americas, people made it with barley, oats, etc.

Although not always a mush. You can serve it many ways such as like mash potato, thick, thin, thick then sliced and fried, you can also a cake out of it. There are loads of ways to use it.

Polenta chips are really lovely.

Life and style | The Guardian

Since we are talking about polenta, you got me searching for ages! I was convinced I had a pic of the last time I made polenta, but can't find it. That's odd because I normally take pics of my food lol

I did find an pic from when I first tasted it while in Italy a couple of years back at Lake Garda. This is how I like to make it. It's very similar to the way I do it. The polenta is perfect for all that lovely sauce! I got pretty obsessed and make it every week for quite awhile. Hopefully I don't get back on it now :)

2md0zr.jpg

I wish I could teleport myself to that restaurant! Interesting style of serving it. I have never heart of our encounted that before! Sounds great! I would love that.

Back
Top Bottom