"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #11
Senior Cook

...of course the pre-flavored ones are probably so full of preservatives, etc. that it might just last until next Christmas!!

Old 01-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Remember there is a difference between sell by and use by.

Food Product Dating
Thank you for that; it's good to counter the paranoia with a little dose of reality.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Cool then my eggs were fine.

Since we are on the topic, I'm sure my chicken breasts are fine but I bought them yesterday, used two and put the rest in the fridge in the original packaging planning on wrapping and freezing them later. I didn't do it until the next morning and the tops of the surfaces were dry but the rest of them were still moist.

The chicken should be fine, right?
Old 01-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I agree to throw out the meat. It just isn't worth the food poisining. With eggs however, you can put an egg in water. If it floats, throw it out. If it sinks, crack and smell. A rotton egg is very smelly. This info. from my grandma years ago, and I haven't gotten sick on eggs that are beyond the date yet.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #15
Master Chef

Since we're on the subject yet again, I never ever buy meat that has been marinated. Years ago, I heard that some markets repackage meat that's about to go bad in marinade to mask the "off" flavor, and change the "sell by" date. Believe it or not, it's your choice, but it made up my mind for me. Besides there's such a thing as "over marinating" and I want the control over the amount of time it marinates in my own kitchen, with my fresh meat.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Since we're on the subject yet again, I never ever buy meat that has been marinated. Years ago, I heard that some markets repackage meat that's about to go bad in marinade to mask the "off" flavor, and change the "sell by" date. Believe it or not, it's your choice, but it made up my mind for me. Besides there's such a thing as "over marinating" and I want the control over the amount of time it marinates in my own kitchen, with my fresh meat.
I share your viewpoint.

Plus, I can't really imagine what cryovacced meat soaking in garlic marinade for, at this point 2 or 3 weeks would taste like.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I share your viewpoint.

Plus, I can't really imagine what cryovacced meat soaking in garlic marinade for, at this point 2 or 3 weeks would taste like.
So very true, Jenny......uck.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:33 AM   #18
Head Chef

Found this article and instantly thought of this thread. =)

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:40 AM   #19
Master Chef

I don't buy marinated meat simply because it is so easy and fun to do myself. BUT I am thinking of making an exception for "barbecue" ribs this winter. Cooking out at -0 temps just isn't an option for us. Heck, I go out in it most days and just hate the on and off of all the gear. A friend bought them at our local grocery store last year and brought them to a party and they were pretty good, I was surprised. I've never tried to make ribs of any kind in the house, and if the store still carries them I might try.

By the way, I weigh in with the if in doubt, throw it out group.

Tags
pork