"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-18-2005, 09:09 PM   #11
Executive Chef

How will these dishes be transported and handled?

Old 04-18-2005, 10:12 PM   #12
Master Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainee
How will these dishes be transported and handled?
I kept mine in one of those small flexible coolers with 2-3 ice packs.

Rainee, if you are suggesting that it is important to keep foods cold to prevent food poisoning, you are absolutely correct. It shocks me all the time how my coworkers will pack food items, that should be kept cold, in their lunchboxes without any way to keep them cold. Then they think it nothing to put their lunchboxes in the back of their trucks where they sit in the hot sun until lunch.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:55 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Yes, just a reminder to not forget about good food safety nad handling.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:57 PM   #14
Master Chef

Thumbs up Thanks!!

I totally agree. It is better to handle food properly than to have to make a trip to the hospital. Thanks for the reminder.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:16 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Here's a pretty good link re safety.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/foodsc...bs/picnic.html

Rainee, I wondered too about how to pack the Chinese Food take-out containers in a cooler - ice on top?

Kadesma (giggling here), did you wash them out & save them? Lucky you, too, living close to Yosemite. Beware of the bears We'd have to lock all the food up in steel containers & roll up the car windows. (The old bf kept walking around trying to find one ).

Kadesma, if you ever have a chance to stay at the Wawona, it's very romantic, but not for everyone. The deer practically walk right past you.

These recipes do look great. Spring is in the air & can't wait to try them.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:13 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I take fresh salads, cold salmon fillets and something more substantial like a raised pork pie and scotch eggs.

Here's a recipe from a British chef, Rick Stein, for a classic Raised Pork Pie

For the fillings:
1.2kg/2 2.5 lb boned pork shoulder
225g/8oz lean bacon
1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
2.5ml/ tsp each ground mace, freshly grated nutmeg and ground allspice
2 tsp anchovy essence
salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the jelly:
900g/2lb pork bones
1 pig's trotter
1 carrot
1 onion
1 bouquet garni (celery, bay leaf, thyme and parsley)
12 black peppercorns
4 cloves
For the pastry:
450g/1lb plain flour
1 tsp salt
275g/10oz chilled butter, cut into
pieces
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
2-3 tbsp cold water

1. For the jelly: put all the ingredients into a large pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for 3 hours.
2.Strain through a very fine sieve into a clean pan and boil vigorously until reduced to 600ml/1 pint. Season to taste and leave to cool.
3. To make the filling: cut the pork and bacon into 1cm/ in pieces. Put half of the pork and 55g/2oz of the bacon into a food processor and process using the pulse button until coarsely chopped.
4. Scrape into a bowl and stir in the rest of the diced pork, bacon herbs, spices, anchovy essence, 1 tsp salt and some pepper.
5. Fry a little piece of the mixture in sunflower oil, taste and adjust the flavourings if necessary.
6. To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a food processor or mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
7. Beat the whole egg with the egg yolk and water and gradually stir into the dry ingredients to make a soft dough. Knead briefly until smooth then cut off one third of the mixture and set it aside for the lid.
8. Roll out the larger piece and use to line the base and sides of a 20cm/8in clip-sided cake tin, leaving the excess pastry overhanging the edges.
9. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
10. To assemble the pie:spoon the pork filling into the tin and slightly round the top of the mixture to give the finished pie a nice shape.
11. Brush the edge of the pastry with beaten egg. Roll out the remaining pastry and use to cover the top of the pie.
12. Cut a small hole into the centre of the lid with a small pastry cutter, remove the plug of pastry and leave the cutter in place to retain the hole during baking.
13. Brush with more beaten egg and decorate with a twisted rope of pastry and pastry leaves. Brush the top with beaten egg.
14. Bake the pie for 30 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and continue to cook for a further 1 hours, loosely covering the pie with a triple-thickness sheet of greaseproof paper once it is nicely browned.
15. Finally, remove the pie from the oven and leave to cool for 2 hours. Then warm through the jelly and pour into the pie through the hole in the top. Remove cutter used to make the hole in the top. Leave to go cold overnight.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:46 AM   #17
Executive Chef

You would probably be ok to put ice in the cooler, line with some plastic, newspaper, to keep the water out of the containers.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:26 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish

Rainee, I wondered too about how to pack the Chinese Food take-out containers in a cooler - ice on top?

Kadesma (giggling here), did you wash them out & save them? Lucky you, too, living close to Yosemite. Beware of the bears We'd have to lock all the food up in steel containers & roll up the car windows. (The old bf kept walking around trying to find one ).

Kadesma, if you ever have a chance to stay at the Wawona, it's very romantic, but not for everyone. The deer practically walk right past you.

On the Chinese containers, I haven;t used them yet, just tucked the idea away for another day.. Most of the time we just put things in the fridg of the motor home to keep cool. If going by car we have several large ice chests, we pack with ice..If I were to use the
Chinese container, I'd only use it for a "different" party idea, If i had to pack to keep cold, I'd most likely put them into a container that would keep out water, then nestle them down into the ice.
kadesma
Old 04-20-2005, 07:01 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish

Mish, we stayed up at White Wolf in a trailer It was heaven. The kids lived the campfire and sing along. But, we haven't done that in a long time now. Our trips usually have all the kids and grandkids, and us packed into the motor home WaHooo
kadesma
ps. evertaken the tour accross one of the meadows, it's fantastic
Old 04-20-2005, 07:44 PM   #20
Executive Chef

It's been eons since I was there, so can't recall the places you mentioned. Googled it, & sounds charming. Travelling in the motor home with the kids & grandkids sounds like fun...& if you have a close encounter with the bears, you can hit the gas & get outta Dodge. Someday I hope to see Yosemite again. Although, I'm getting much more fond of "my" creature comforts.