"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-25-2013, 12:35 AM   #31
Master Chef

I didn't mean a greens salad. Is that what you thought? Oh yeah yuck! I meant potato or macaroni salad. Maybe tuna or chicken salad. NOT a "salad" salad. And for my potato/macaroni salad I mix half mayo with half sour cream. It cuts the greasy mouth feel that I seem to have after an all mayo mix. Plus I like the tang the sour cream adds. Not into the sweet condiments. When we were first married I made potato/mac salads with all MW because my Mom did it that way. Then I started to add part sour cream to reduce the sweetness. Mom also started to add sour cream because she liked mine better. When I started to use mayo in place of the MW Mom said she was done making potato salad since she liked mine way better than hers. I'm happy with that kind of review. We use less "fat" products in our house than an average family. I'll take the fat in real mayo since I probably use it less than once a month around here.

If I ate your deviled eggs that you make with MW I would enjoy them. Then again it might just be the fact that I wasn't the one who had to do the work!

Old 06-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #32
Master Chef

HA! I did think you meant green salad!

I think I'll try the sour cream trick, too. ("She's secretly replacing the Miracle Whip with Sour Cream. Will the guests notice?")

TNX!!

Old 06-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #33
Master Chef

Try making a batch of tzatziki and add the potatoes for a fresh clean taste.

Nice on a buffet to change things up a little.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:30 AM   #34
Senior Cook

I like the tzatziki idea. Sounds like it would be good with Mac salad. Never made it from scratch. have only eaten it out of a store made container. Believe is is made from Greek Yogurt, and finally chopped cucumbers and ? Am I on the right track ? Thanks if you have a recipe. mysterychef.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterychef View Post
I like the tzatziki idea. Sounds like it would be good with Mac salad. Never made it from scratch. have only eaten it out of a store made container. Believe is is made from Greek Yogurt, and finally chopped cucumbers and ? Am I on the right track ? Thanks if you have a recipe. mysterychef.
And garlic! You can use regular yoghurt and strain it to make yoghurt cheese instead of buying Greek yoghurt. You could do a search for tzatziki here on DC. I know there is at least one tzatziki here.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

It's too easy to make. Make it with mint first. Then try the dill version.

Tzatziki

16 Oz Greek Yogurt
1 Ea Seedless Cucumber
2 tsp Dill or Mint, minced
1-2 Cl Garlic
2 tsp Lemon Juice
1-2 Tb Olive Oil
TT Salt and Black Pepper

Peel, seed and grate the cucumber.

Place it into a sieve, salt it well and leave it to drain for at least 30 minutes. Squeeze out any remaining liquid and put it into a mixing bowl.

Grate the garlic and add it, and all the remaining ingredients to the bowl. Mix thoroughly.

Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least for a few hours so the flavors can blend. Adjust the seasoning and serve.

Note: In place of Greek yogurt, use regular plain yogurt and strain it in the refrigerator overnight in a cheesecloth-lined strainer over a bowl.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:27 AM   #37
Senior Cook

Recipe Looks simple, refreshing and cool. Indian dip ''Raita'' sounds quite similar. [a little more spicy and slightly sweeter]. I could probably use seedless English cucumbers.Thanks for some new ideas for the hot Summer weather we are having this month. mysterychef
Old 06-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
That's my preference too Hoot. MW seems too sweet to have with a meat, so mayo with a sammy. Got a small jar of Dukes when we were in Asheville last year. Didn't buy a big one because I didn't want to get too attached...can't by it in MA. Since I couldn't tell a real difference between Dukes and Hellman's/Best Foods mayo it all works for me.

When I make potato salad I just toss things into a bowl and mix, then dip my finger in and taste (CLEAN one each time ) until it tastes like what I want that day. But I always mix roughly half mayo and half sour cream because I don't really like the greasy mouth-feel I have from all mayo. Since the salad always disappears at our house I guess each time works out OK. Always has some kind of mustard in it though - Colman's powdered, dijon, or Plochman's yellow.
I mix mayo (Hellmans' not home made - sorry) with fat free or very low fat youghourt. Fewer calories than mayo alone or mayo+sour cream.

I used to know an Austrian lady who made her potato salad with a vinaigrette style dressing. I neglected to get the recipe (I was only a teenager) and I've never seen a potato salad done like this in a cookery book or magazine and none of my friends do irt. Experimenting hasn't worked.

=
Old 06-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
...I used to know an Austrian lady who made her potato salad with a vinaigrette style dressing. I neglected to get the recipe (I was only a teenager) and I've never seen a potato salad done like this in a cookery book or magazine and none of my friends do irt. Experimenting hasn't worked.=

Have you searched German potato salad?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I used to know an Austrian lady who made her potato salad with a vinaigrette style dressing. I neglected to get the recipe (I was only a teenager) and I've never seen a potato salad done like this in a cookery book or magazine and none of my friends do it. Experimenting hasn't worked.
I have a recipe for a potato salad with vinaigrette dressing. I first had it at one of the taverns at Colonial Williamsburg. It's different from German potato salad, which is made with bacon and vinegar. I'm out of town right now but I'll see if I can find it.