"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-19-2015, 09:30 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
If you're making cranberry sauce or relish, that can be done this weekend.
So true GG, and all the chopping of aromatics for dressing etc. can be done and bagged for the fridge this weekend too.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:02 AM   #22
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontg34 View Post
Hi all,

I have a few questions about what all I can make the day before Thanksgiving that I am hoping someone can answer.

1. Brussels Sprouts: Can I steam/par-boil these, and then just saute them the day after? I am mainly worried about flavor, as I don't want them to taste too sulfuric after sitting overnight. Also, will it affect the texture much?

2. Mashed Potatoes: Can I chop the potatoes and leave them in water overnight? I know I have seen this in the past, but I can't remember if it changes the color or flavor of the finished product.

3. Roasted Root Vegetables: Basically I want to completely cook these and then just re-heat before the dinner. Does anyone see a problem in doing this? Veggies will include sweet potato, parsnips, new potatoes, and onion.

Thanks for any and all help
Well, i think re-heating will harmfully effect on vegetable's taste.
You should better try to re-heat em using gas grill!

Old 11-20-2015, 07:07 PM   #23
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I make roux for gravy in advance as well as the relish tray, cranberries and pies (unless I can get someone else to bring those).

I also set the table and get serving dishes out a day ahead. The rest of dinner gets cooked the day of.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:13 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
If you're making cranberry sauce or relish, that can be done this weekend.
I always make my cranberry sauce ahead, the flavor is much better and the harshness of the cranberries seems to soften a bit.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcD View Post
Keep going, everyone......I'm not too old to learn new tricks. I looked at the electric roasters for years but never gave them any consideration......they sound like a great appliance.

The only things prepped before Thanksgiving was baking pies or making refrigerated desserts. I always had my work cut out for me on Thanksgiving Day and had to get a very early start.
My boss has one and it does come in handy. We've used it at work to cook a whole turkey and it worked quite well. She also uses it for large batches of chili to bring to work. Hers is just an inexpensive GE from Walmart.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:00 AM   #26
Head Chef

I like taking home a drumstick and wing after Thanksgiving dinner and pouring a lot of salt on it. Why? Because around 10:00 PM that night, I'm hungry again.

Leftover white turkey meat for sandwiches is like nothing that can be duplicated except by roasting a whole turkey.

All the flavor of the bones and seasoning and all is something you just can't get cooking it any other way.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:40 PM   #27
Master Chef

I was all set to get up early (for me ) tomorrow morning and start on the Thanksgiving sides, but a disabled friend called me today and asked me if I would come to her house and help her prepare for Thanksgiving dinner. I know it was a hard thing for her to ask and I love her dearly, so I'll be going over to her house around 8 tomorrow morning. We'll work on whatever she wants help with until she decides she's done.

I figure I'll still have tomorrow evening to prep, and we're not having dinner until around 1 or 2 on Thanksgiving Day, so there will still be plenty of time for do-aheads.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I like taking home a drumstick and wing after Thanksgiving dinner and pouring a lot of salt on it. Why? Because around 10:00 PM that night, I'm hungry again.

Leftover white turkey meat for sandwiches is like nothing that can be duplicated except by roasting a whole turkey.

All the flavor of the bones and seasoning and all is something you just can't get cooking it any other way.
Must ask. Why a lot of salt?
Old 11-25-2015, 03:01 AM   #29
Head Chef

Wednesday morning I get up, make a disposable roaster pan full of wild mushroom stuffing, then spend about 4 hours making a couple of loaves of bread (Italian Boules from THIS site). That should be a full day, but I have to do nothing on Thanksgiving but heat them both up before dinner at my wife's brother's house, eat, then watch football.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:41 AM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I was all set to get up early (for me ) tomorrow morning and start on the Thanksgiving sides, but a disabled friend called me today and asked me if I would come to her house and help her prepare for Thanksgiving dinner. I know it was a hard thing for her to ask and I love her dearly, so I'll be going over to her house around 8 tomorrow morning. We'll work on whatever she wants help with until she decides she's done. ...
What a kind and generous thing to do, Cheryl. I'm sure your friend will count you as among the reasons she has to be thankful this year.

Tags
thanksgiving