How far ahead can I prep these items??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The OP mentioned food safety as the prime concern. To me, this is another case of food safety fears run amok. I don't know how humanity survived without refrigeration, and grocery stores where you could buy fresh food from all over the world fifteen minutes before you eat it.

I've been prepping my veg in advance for decades, and the only thing I've noticed is that some veggies either wilt/get mushy, and others taste bad if you let them sit in the fridge too long. And, like Andy said, chopped onions in the fridge for long will make everything taste like onion.

But, I don't give one minute of worry over the safety of my pre-diced onions, celery, peppers and the like if they sit in the fridge for a few hours, or even until the next day. Beyond that amount of time, it is the texture and flavor I worry about, not the safety.

Also, keep in mind that if you are going to cook with the veggies, that will kill harmful bacteria (that is probably not even there). If I dump day old chopped onion, celery and bell pepper (the Trinity) into a pot of gumbo a day after I prep it, and let the gumbo simmer for hours, there ain't no bacteria that's going to survive that. It's not going to be crisp anymore, either.

If I am making a fresh green salad, I'm going to want to slice and dice my veggies right before I mix my salad. Not because of safety, so much, but because it is going to taste the best that it can taste.

CD

I think it depends on how you prep the food, e.g., are the carrots diced? Sliced? Grated? It also depends on how you are going to use the pre-prepped food.

Ya'll are giving me great information. When I began this post I should have been a little more specific on the time frame. I mean how many hours ahead can you cut up the vegetables. I like to do my prep in the mornings and cook my dishes in the evening at around 6:00 to 7:00 pm-ish. That would be about a 10 hour time frame. I am mostly worried about the garlic and raw onions and the safety issue with cutting them up ahead of time. This is an issue only with stir fries and casseroles.

What I have learned from you all today so far..

Peppers - can be cut up and stored in water ahead of time
Celery - can be cut up and stored in water ahead of time
Carrots - can be cut up and stored in water ahead of time

Garlic - right before use
Onions - right before use
Maybe I’m not understanding… why not just put them in a refrigerator?

There are no safety issues. I'm a little surprised, what made you think there might be?
She asked:
How far ahead can I prep these items?

Onions
Lettuce
Peppers
Garlic
Celery
Carrots

I hope you all see where I am going with this. I am worried about food safety.
-----
There are limits for safety sake. It's a good question. I sure wouldn't want to eat someone's food that has no limits and leaves their prepped veggies in the fridge for a week before making the food for me. Who wants to get sick because no one ever discussed proper food handling?

There are always safety limits to preparing foods.

My bad, I was assuming several days ahead.... not weeks. I'm sure there must be some out there who just might do that. .... present company excluded, of course.

She asked:
How far ahead can I prep these items?

Onions
Lettuce
Peppers
Garlic
Celery
Carrots

I hope you all see where I am going with this. I am worried about food safety.
-----
There are limits for safety sake. It's a good question. I sure wouldn't want to eat someone's food that has no limits and leaves their prepped veggies in the fridge for a week before making the food for me. Who wants to get sick because no one ever discussed proper food handling?

There are always safety limits to preparing foods.

Don't get us wrong here. It is certainly a good question. If you have concerns about food safety, by all means ask these kinds of questions. When it comes to food safety, there are no bad questions. Better safe than sorry.

I think what I, and other DC members are saying is, you can prep these particular ingredients in advance, within certain boundaries, of course. I would never suggest that you prep them a month in advance, but a day in advance, keeping them in the fridge? Yeah, you're fine.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom