Pressure Cooker/Slow Cooker/Crock Pot-Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I wish DC had a Pressure Cooker/Slow Cooker/Crock Pot Forum.

img_1506495_0_959b951caf51076ed8c600f395a9e01d.gif

So it would be easier to post/find these types of recipes.

Last edited:
My crock pot is a LeCrueset dutch oven.

Now, it certainly can't do what a pressure cooker does, but a crock pot can't either.

CD

Instantpot seems to be all the rage this year but I'm at the age where slow cooker is preferred in my kitchen... But then, I didn't get into the Sou Vide thingy either...

Instantpot seems to be all the rage this year but I'm at the age where slow cooker is preferred in my kitchen... But then, I didn't get into the Sou Vide thingy either...

Due to this appliance being all the rage, there is presently a three to four month wait for them. Stores can't keep them in stock.

An instapot is also a slow cooker

It's all the rage for a good reason -- it is a very versatile and excellent performer

It's all the rage for a good reason -- it is a very versatile and excellent performer

It replaces many appliances in your kitchen. Slow cooker, electric pressure cooker, rice cooker, steamer, yogurt maker, sauté/browning pan, and warming pot.

Just think of all the room you will have in your cabinets. There is going to be a flux of no longer needed appliances at your Goodwill store.

It replaces many appliances in your kitchen. Slow cooker, electric pressure cooker, rice cooker, steamer, yogurt maker, sauté/browning pan, and warming pot.

Just think of all the room you will have in your cabinets. There is going to be a flux of no longer needed appliances at your Goodwill store.

The versatility is the reason I finally gave in ... that and I only paid $65.00 on Black Friday thanks to Amazon. I am going to try making a cheesecake for Easter. You can even proof your no knead dough using the yogurt setting. No knead dough ready in 3-4 hours instead of 12-18 hours.

GG Amazon does have brief periods when they are out of stock. But not for long. Instant Pot wasn't available for awhile when they had a problem with people receiving dented pots. Also the new 9-1 is currently unavailable.

GG Amazon does have brief periods when they are out of stock. But not for long. Instant Pot wasn't available for awhile when they had a problem with people receiving dented pots. Also the new 9-1 is currently unavailable.

No doubt. But "presently there is a three to four month wait" for one is obviously incorrect.

No doubt. But "presently there is a three to four month wait" for one is obviously incorrect.
For Amazon yes you are correct. I guess some people buy from other stores. I have seen talk about Target, Walmart, B.B.& B. etc being out of stock and a long waiting time. Personally I like Amazon and buy from there whenever possible.

Not quite. You can't cook more than one thing at a time, so it can be helpful to also have a rice cooker. There are also differences in capacities between the Instant Pot and the larger slow cookers.

I don't know what kind of a job the Instant Pot does on rice, but I know my Zoji cooks brown rice waaaay better than a simple rice cooker, like an Aroma.

Not quite. You can't cook more than one thing at a time, so it can be helpful to also have a rice cooker. There are also differences in capacities between the Instant Pot and the larger slow cookers.

I don't know what kind of a job the Instant Pot does on rice, but I know my Zoji cooks brown rice waaaay better than a simple rice cooker, like an Aroma.
I've never used it for rice because I make mine in the microwave. Would you believe that some people have actually bought a second one so they make rice, too?? I think that's nuts :wacko:

Last edited:

You can cook more than one thing at a time using the pot in pot method. You can stack containers holding different foods and cook them at the same time. For instance the other night I cooked potatoes in the bottom of the pot with a cup of water added. Then a trivet placed over them. I placed a bowl with raw broccoli in it on top of the trivet. They cooked for 6 minutes. I removed the bowl and drained the potatoes and mashed them in the pot.

You can do the same with chicken browned then a sauce and/or veggies added to bottom of inner pot. Trivet placed over chicken and rice and water placed in a bowl on the trivet. They can then be cooked at the same time. No need for a rice cooker.

You can use bamboo steamers stacked in the pot to cook several foods at once.

Last edited:
I also cooked corned beef to tender in 80 minutes. Then added potatoes and cabbage and cooked for 4 additional minutes. Dinner was done in about 2 hours.

Have you tried it for no-knead bread?

Interested in how the two methods compare.....
It is the same recipe (which ever one you use) but you proof it on the low yogurt setting. Then proceed with the recipe from there. I will take pictures next time ... if I remember at the time. :angel:

I also cooked corned beef to tender in 80 minutes. Then added potatoes and cabbage and cooked for 4 additional minutes. Dinner was done in about 2 hours.
So you cook, release the pressure, add ingredients, and then bring it up to pressure again? That must make it difficult to get the cooking times right, especially for things with a relatively short cooking time, like chicken.

I've never used it for rice because I make mine in the microwave. Would you believe that some people have actually bought a second one so they make rice, too?? I think that's nuts

I must be, as the Zoji was more expensive than an Instant Pot. Well worth it in my opinion.

I wish DC had a Pressure Cooker/Slow Cooker/Crock Pot Forum.

img_1506863_0_959b951caf51076ed8c600f395a9e01d.gif

So it would be easier to post/find these types of recipes.
What's the difference between a slow cooker and crock pot? I thought "Crockpot" was just the proprietary name for one company's slow cooker? (I have to admit that I have two slow cookers which is possible a bit OTT for a one-person household!)

I have an old-fashioned, top of the stove pressure cooker but only use it for cooking pulses and boiling a piece of ham/bacon. Don't like it for vegetables (over-cooks them however careful you are) and stews, doesn't cook them long enough to develop flavour as the slow-cooker, top of the stove or the main oven does.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom