"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-29-2012, 12:51 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

i heard on the news that the price of beef was going to go up because of the drought that tx had this year

Old 03-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

this week's specials in north joisey:

$3.49/lb. for bone in chuck steak, choice grade
$4.49/lb. for bone in angus chuck steak, choice

$5.49/lb. for boneless sirloin steak, choice
$6.49 for boneless angus sirloin steak, choice

$3.99/lb. for top round london broil, choice
$4.49/lb. for top round angus lodon broil, choice

$8.99/lb. for kosher boneless chuck steak, god certified
$5.99/lb. for kosher ground beef

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:42 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

So where does the price of pork fit into this increase of meat? Or lamb, or any other meat. (chicken - sorry CWS)
Old 03-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #24
Executive Chef

I dont buy my meat from supermarkets, this link is a comparison site for the majors. The first Asda is owned by Walmart. Compare supermarket prices | Online supermarket shopping | Save and compare on Health and Beauty products
Old 03-29-2012, 02:14 AM   #25
Executive Chef

This may interest you, my best mate a retired Cruise ship Master lives in Kalamata Greece Greece's cut-price potato movement shows Greeks chipping in | World news | The Guardian
Old 03-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #26
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
This may interest you, my best mate a retired Cruise ship Master lives in Kalamata Greece Greece's cut-price potato movement shows Greeks chipping in | World news | The Guardian
Beautiful article, thanks Bolas. They're having a BAD time down there, indeed. Hope we'll find a way out of this bl**y mess of a crisis. Times are hard in Italy, too, but certainly not so hard as in Greece. And being jobless it's very challenging when it comes to build your menu...
However, here the beef costs from about 10 euros to 20 euros for 1 kg (about 30 to 60 USD /lb., if my math is right). Turkey, pork and chicken are usually cheaper. Now you can understand why we are great pasta eaters...
Old 03-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
So where does the price of pork fit into this increase of meat? Or lamb, or any other meat. (chicken - sorry CWS)
I imagine because feed costs have gone up. There has been a trend (at least in Iowa) for farmers to sell their corn for ethanol instead of feed. I think pigs in Iowa were typically fed corn. And, for those planting, seed costs have gone up. Another factor is higher transportation costs (not to mention fuel costs to run the farm equipment). There may also be more regulatory/environmental costs. I know that when I have bought a side of pork or beef, I've had to also pay an "environmental disposal" fee for the hide, etc., which is factored into the cut and wrap cost. Everything we complain about re: rising gas prices, also hits delivery costs to get food to market. And, of course weather. Wheat production was down 1/3 in 2011 (in case you were wondering why bread, flour, and pasta prices have gone up as well). Increased electricity rates are probably passed on for those "hot house" produce items we like to have year around. All of these things are part of the reason we try to raise as much of our own food as possible. It is a lot of work and time, but it does give us freedom not to have to spend as much at the supermarket as we would if we didn't do this. Still toying with buying a share of a dairy cow....just have to find a dairy farmer willing to do this.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Fab Post: Prices in Madrid Capital, Spain

Good Afternoon,

I could not resist, in the mist of my packing for trip to Puglia Friday am to give some feedback to this fab post.

Prices via the Kilo in Euros in Madrid today on Sale:

Boneless steak called Entrecôtè ( a French cut ) = 12.90 Euros a kilo
Veal Cutlets = 7.20 Euros a kilo
Prime Beef Stew ( not chuck ) = 6.50 Euros a kilo
Lamb chops = 6.90 Euros a kilo
Pork cutlets = 5.95 Euros a kilo
Pork Tenderlion ( log shape ) = 6.99 Euros a kilo ( Filet Mignon of Pork )
Pork Chops = 4.99 Euros a Kilo
Rabbit = 4.50 Euros a kilo
Turkey breasts = 6.95 Euros a kilo
Chicken thigh - leg combination = 1.99 Euros a kilo

FISH: ( note: fish is much cheaper in Spain )

Fresh Cod fish = 6.90 Euros a Kilo
Salt Cod = 5.90 Euros a Kilo
Swordfish = 9.90 Euros a Kilo
Fresh Gilthead or Gilt Bream = 2.80 Euros a whole fish
Large Prawns ( steady price except during Christmas ) = 7.95 Euros a Kilo

These were all the sale prices today at a specific market.

We also eat alot of pasta, veggies, Fish and shellfish ... however, we do enjoy our Sunday roasts ... we shop about and price compare for the best quality at the best price ...

Kind regards and thanks for interesting post.
Margi.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Whoa--I could see where you wouldn't be making a lot of meatloaf or meatballs...
well, we are not starving, but I do end up using chicken a lot
Old 03-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #30
Head Chef

Pork is almost always pretty inexpensive. Assorted pork chops and pork ribeye roast, both $1.97. I also can almost always find what they label "Misc. Pork Cuts." It sounds like scraps, but it almost always contains very nice pork chops that happened to lie on the border between one style and another and didn't quite fit either. Sometimes, it'a hard to tell why it's in there, because it might have a couple of perfect butterfly chops. It might just be the last two cuts, and they were making up family packs. It's usually $1.50 or less.

There will be some increase in beef prices this year. The severe drought forced sell-off of stock because we went into winter with no hay reserve. So relatively few young cattle were being brought to market weight. West Texas feedlots were asking $126 per cwt last week, and no one was buying at that price, which is way higher than 2010. There's just a limit to what buyers will pay, and eventually, the sellers will take the loss and sell before feed and beef become more plentiful later this year. The cattle in the feedlots aren't getting any younger and aren't getting much heavier and are eating feed that's still high.

The best seafood deal here is usually wild-caught, x-large or jumbo, brown Gulf of Mexico shrimp, heads off, when it gets down to $6.00 a pound. This chain has their own contracted fleet.

Tags
beef