Price of Beef??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was chatting with the store manager at the supermarket where we shop weekly. He told me to expect an increase in beef prices. As I was focused on questioning him about pink slime, I didn't follow up by asking why prices would be going up.

Here's what I usually pay at Lucky supermarket in CA

Ground beef 2.99 but last week I got 6 lbs at 1.69
Cross rib 2.99
Chuck 2.99
Rib eye or NY 5.99 but frequently 4.88
Spare ribs 1.99
I buy my tenderloin at a asian market for 5.99-7.99

You might want to look at bulk options.

I buy grass-fed beef in 60 lb parcels for about $7/lb. While that sounds expensive (and I'll admit that it is), overall it's a good deal considering that the same meat in a fancy yuppie market would probably average twice that amount - or more. Another added bonus is that you don't get any pink slime.

Ground beef prices have really gone up around here--we feed ground beef to the dogs. We used to get it around $1.99/lb. Now it is $3.49. We are grinding meat for the dogs and feeding them more eggs (gee, wonder why?).

I primarily buy whole primal ribeye or strip in cryovac. Prices have gone up about 50% in the past year. From around 8/pound to 12. Choice has not gone up as much, but it also has increased. Near 7 as of today at Costco.

I attribute the rise in cost, other than the fact that everything has gone up, to increases in transportation costs, and the ethanol program, which has resulted in the tripling of corn prices.

This week in Central Texas:

Boneless Beef Chuck $2.97

Chuck Steak $3.99

Angus Boneless Chuck Pot Roast $2.99

NY Strip Steak $2.99 (Limit 2 - Reg. $3.99)

Sirloin Tip Steak, Wafer Thin $2.49

Choice London Broil $2.99

Last week, Prime Tenderloin pieces were about $22.

This week in Central Texas:

Boneless Beef Chuck $2.97

Chuck Steak $3.99

Angus Boneless Chuck Pot Roast $2.99

NY Strip Steak $2.99 (Limit 2 - Reg. $3.99)

Sirloin Tip Steak, Wafer Thin $2.49

Choice London Broil $2.99

Last week, Prime Tenderloin pieces were about $22.
Is that beef or possum? Around here ground beef is higher than that.

Except for the prime tender.

I guess I should not really complain about price of kosher meat if the regular meat is expensive. I pay about $6.49 per pound of ground beef.

You might want to look at bulk options.

I buy grass-fed beef in 60 lb parcels for about $7/lb. While that sounds expensive (and I'll admit that it is), overall it's a good deal considering that the same meat in a fancy yuppie market would probably average twice that amount - or more. Another added bonus is that you don't get any pink slime.

We have a beef CSA that comes in around $7 per pound (mixed boxes delivered to the farmer's market monthly) That seems like a good price for local, humanely raised, grass fed beef.

Beef (Food) Prices will triple in the next 5 years....However long range prices (10-15 years) will moderate to 1980 levels as soon we get all of our energy from Algae, Melting Snowflakes and Hydroelectric Commode Flushes. ~~ In the interim...better stock up!!

That is the price we're seeing. Gotta say, I had no problem switching my protein intake to EGGS!:)

I'm going to be making that switch, too. Shrek is already eating 2 eggs a day for his protein. It's difficult for this carnivore.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom