"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-05-2005, 01:36 PM   #11
Head Chef

1. How many meals a week do you cook? What spices do you like to use?

I cook 8-9 meals a week. My favorite spices are cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper, corrainder seeds, cumin seeds and brown mustard seeds.

2. Are you more likely to prepare food for family, or friends?

I love to cook for everyone. Normally I cook for my family but I also love to cook for friends or help them cook for their family and friends.

3. What type of food do you most like to prepare? Why?

I like to cook Chinese, Thai, Indian, Mexican and Italian food. I like food that is bursting with flavors that round up your taste buds (sweet, spicy, creamy) and these cuisines do it better than the others that I have tried.

4. Which age range best describes you? A. 16-29 B. 30-45 C. 45-56 D. 57+

B. Early Thirties

5. Describe the most unexpected delight you have had with a dish. Where did this surprise root from? Did it change your opinion for that certain dish?

I was not big into crab and lobster. I just could not handle looking at them in it's entirety (just the entire crawly part got to me). When I first tried crab claws (steamed) I was a bit intimated but now it's one of my favorite meats. It's sweet and succulent and I am glad I tried it.

6. Explain a good, and bad food experience you have had at a dinner party.

Good experience: An appetizer only party. I have a small appetite and I like variety so these sort of parties suit me very well.

Bad experience: Food that was not all the way cooked. I saw the pink chicken and politely refused.

7. Where do you keep your spices? Does this space allow for many sizes of spice containers?

I have a laundry list of spices. Luckily I have a large walk in pantry and several spice jars where I store it. I buy whole spices for the most part and freshly roast and grind my spices.

8. What colors do you associate with an appetizing dish?

Curries - Red. Looks professionally made.
Pasta - I love whites and pale greens. I like lighter sauces on my pasta
Desserts - Soft yellow added by saffron or white added by whipped cream and white chocolate. I also love bright greens, reds and browns (fruits, nuts and a drizzle of caramel).

9. How do you expect high quality dried spices to be packaged?

I buy my spices from ethnic stores and am pretty familiar with quality regardless of it's packaging

10. What is your favorite spice brand? How would you change it to approve the overall experience you have with it?

No brand preference. Most of the spices I buy are shipped directly from asia and other countries. They are labeled as such. I like the ethnic shops because you can get the real deal for a much lower price if you know what to look for.

Old 10-19-2005, 10:17 AM   #12
Sous Chef

1. How many meals a week do you cook? What spices do you like to use? Everyday of the week. Cumin, tumeric, cinammon, cardamoms, dhana jeera and lots more I use lots of spices.
2. Are you more likely to prepare food for family, or friends?Both. I cook for my family daily(proper food ...well we do frozen Pizzas, but I prepare my our pasta sauces)When friend visit, then even more reason to cook!
3. What type of food do you most like to prepare? Why?
I make sure that during the week, we eat potatoes of some sort with something like roast meal(fish or red meat or chicken) and veggies, pasta with some sauce and salad, rice with stew or pilau a kiddie meal during the week like homemade burgers and frozen oven chips. In short I vary the meals weekly. If I am in a hurry,I always have frozen pizza on standby.
4. Which age range best describes you? A. 16-29 B. 30-45 C. 45-56 D. 57+ B. 30-45
6. Explain a good, and bad food experience you have had at a dinner party.Good-my sister-in-law and family were visiting, I had prepared an aubergine sauce for the rigatoni, as they sat down I could tell they were not impressed, but as soon as they had the first taste, they started asking for the recipe.and every time they visit, they request the same meal. bad experience? burnt rice, I had to cook the rice all over.

7. Where do you keep your spices? Does this space allow for many sizes of spice containers?I I keep all my spices in one place, and buy the same shape containers so they all look the same even though they would still fit in different containers
8. What colors do you associate with an appetizing dish?I don't, I taste the food, colours can be deceiving.
9. How do you expect high quality dried spices to be packaged?Air tight containers to conserve the aroma.
10. What is your favorite spice brand? How would you change it to approve the overall experience you have with it?'Tropical Heat' from Kenya and 'Living colours of India' in Switzerland. airtight would be a good way to improve both.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:40 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

How many meals a week I cook always varies. Sometimes I cook something that we have left over and of course heat up the next night. I also might cook breakfast 3 to 4 times a week. If you only count night time then 5 to 6 meals a week. I also do a lot of inbetween meal cooking. Like making deserts and breads that I might give away because I love to cook.
My favorite food to cook would be chicken. I find it more ways to make a meal with chicken than anything. From roasting a large chicken with garlic and rosemary to making an Italian chicken dish with angel hair pasta and a sauce of olive oil and herbs. Give me chicken and I can make more versatile dishes than anything.
I would think that most people cook for family more than friends. Family live with you and friends do not. I guess I invite family over to eat more than friends if that is what you mean.
We are in the C. age range.
The most unexpected delight with a dish was James Peterson's eggplant parmesan recipe. Everyone that hates eggplant loves this recipe. Most eggplant parmesan recipes you fry the eggplant before assembling the dish. In his you bake the sliced eggplant on a cookie sheet 20 minutes before assembling the dish and baking it. I hated eggplant before eating it this way. We have 8 family members that hate eggplant but love this recipe.
Are these experiences (good & bad) at my home or someone else's: On two occassions at someone else's home the chicken that was served to me was still somewhat raw. I just did like I was too full to finish. I cannot think of a good experience except most of the time I have people over to eat they love my cooking and that makes me want to cook more. One of my best friends husband says that my cooking has 'an elegant flair'.
I keep my spices in a smaller cabinet (but not too small) near my stove. I feel that I have sufficient room for them. I love so many spices but if I had to narrow it down to a few it would be garlic, rosemary, basil and thyme.
Colors I associate with an appetizing dish????? Hmmm? Yellow, green & red. That is a hard one. If you are getting at a spice container packaging causing me to want to buy it because of it's looks being appealing then you are asking the wrong person. I want the best quality spice for the best price. I don't care if it comes in a plastic bag and I go home and funnel it into a bottle that I have saved. (Which I have done by the way) I want something that I can stack in the cabinet and see what it is. Not too small and not too big. I only like large sizes of something I use a lot of.
I just went and looked in the spice cabinet. I seem to have more McCormick than any other brand but I have a lot of different brands too. I cannot say that I have a favorite brand. I like stackable spices. Square would be my choice but most are round. Something you can fit all sizes of measuring spoons into the top and a way to level it off but also with shaker holes. I would love some kind of gadget that fit in the cabinet that held like five rows of spices and each row could pull out like a drawer does and the name of the spice be on the side as well as the front for easy identifation. It would be nice if a spice company made their own holder like this to buy for your cabinet that only their brand of spices fit in. The brand would have to be the best quality for the best price.
Ok, now I have devoted enough of my time to this survey. I hope that this survey helps all of us out here who love to cook.