"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Quintessential American Food

Hi Everyone.

I've noticed that most of the members on these boards are from the USA.

What I often do at home is designate certain countries to the week and then dedicate that week to the cuisine of that country. It's fun and educational at the same time. In a few weeks time I will be doing a week of food from the USA.

Now, what I would like to know from all you lovely people is, what do you think are the 7 most quintessentially American dishes.

Looking forward to your replies.

kind regards and thanks

http://lisaliaison.blogspot.com/
Lisa Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Mac View Post
Hi Everyone.

I've noticed that most of the members on these boards are from the USA.

What I often do at home is designate certain countries to the week and then dedicate that week to the cuisine of that country. It's fun and educational at the same time. In a few weeks time I will be doing a week of food from the USA.

Now, what I would like to know from all you lovely people is, what do you think are the 7 most quintessentially American dishes.

Looking forward to your replies.

kind regards and thanks
Welcome to DC! Most all "American" and I'm pretty sure "Canadian" cuisine has its roots in other cultures. IMO, adapting immigrant cuisine using native ingredients is as close to American as you will get. Unless you are talking about native American food.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks Craig. Agreed, most Americans originated from Europe or Asia and brought their cuisine along with them. However, some adapted to the new land, maybe incorporated local produce or techniques, or just evolved and became American. For example, I think of southern fried chicken as being very American and not only because of old Colonel Saunders. Another dish that I consider very American is Chili (with or without the beans). I'm just interested to hear what each individual considers to be American dishes.

Also, yes, are there any dishes that are Native American and have been adopted by the nation as a whole?

Old 01-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Macaroni and Cheese are definitely on that list.

As for Native American foods, Succotash is right up there. Corn and Lima Beans.

A lot of our Southern Foods such as White Country Gravy and Biscuits.

BBQ from our western heritage. For Texas, it would be beef. For other parts of our country, it would be pork.

New England is known for their chowders. Clam, corn, oyster stew. Also clam bakes. Bounty from the sea.

The Pacific Northwest has salmon, octopus and potatoes.

The upper Midwest, cheese, dairy products. They also have a very large population of Scandinavian folks there, so foods from that part of the Globe.

Other parts of our country has German, Polish, Irish, Italians, just to name a few nationalities, so we have sauerkraut, globlinkis, Irish stew, pizza, pasta .

California? I have no explanation for that part of the country. Just that most of our farmed foods come from there. A lot of new food fads start there and move to other parts of the country.

A lot of our dishes came over on the Mayflower, thus a lot of recipes from England.

Canada has Poutine. Whatever that is. Western Canada is the farming and ranching areas. So I am better off leaving Canada to a native of that country to tell you what their foods are.

Anyone else care to jump in?
Old 01-03-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Crawfish boil, hominy, grits and true BBQ, probably fit the bill. Chili, I believe originated in early Central and South American cultures. At least the use of chili peppers in combination with meats.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
Head Chef

Hot dogs

Potato salad----- the kind with mayo in it, maybe chopped up hard boiled eggs and a little onion.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
Head Chef

Addie said, and cracked me up----

"California? I have no explanation for that part of the country. " LOL

(Yeah I know she probably meant food-wise, but did she really? LOL)
Old 01-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Addie said, and cracked me up----

"California? I have no explanation for that part of the country. " LOL

(Yeah I know she probably meant food-wise, but did she really? LOL)
Must have been a foodian slip.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Thanks so much. You've all given me some great ideas and direction. Keep them coming.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Mac View Post
Must have been a foodian slip.
You'll fit right in around here Lisa. Welcome.

California has a diverse reputation in the food department. The first thing that comes to mind is a cut of beef practically unknown to the rest of the country called Tri Tip. It's wonderful for what we call Santa Maria barbeque.
The southern part of the state has lots of influence from the flavors of Mexico, while the northern part of the state around San Francisco is well known for it's fabulous Pacific seafood, and cooking with California wine.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food