"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Very basic. Beans, beef stock, salt pork or bacon, onions, brown sugar, garlic, salt'n'peppa, tomato paste.
That sounds good too. I have made them that way too. I usually use what I have available. You know...throw in this or that. Usually don't actually use the recipe, just make them like Mom did, and Grandma did, and Great Grandma did...

Old 03-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
That sounds good too. I have made them that way too. I usually use what I have available. You know...throw in this or that. Usually don't actually use the recipe, just make them like Mom did, and Grandma did, and Great Grandma did...
My mother never used tomato, molasses or beef stock. The finished product is very a very white bean color. Somehow, they still taste great. I guess they had less products available to them when they learned to cook. With so much available these days, I just can't help myself with most recipes. But, baked beans are one of those recipes that I try to make with as least ingredients possible.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Aww come on guys pick on me I'm a Brit and I eat Heinz baked beans cold out of the tin.
One place I worked at years ago served those on their breakfast buffet. I opened hundreds of 100 oz cans over the years. They aren't too bad. I prefer a dryer bean as opposed to the saucy kind, though.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I use the pan juices from my pork ribs to make my baked beans, plus any pork left over. Soak the beans overnight, rinse and drain, layer with sliced onions and minced garlic pour pan juices over, add water if needed and cook on low in the crock pot till done.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Aww come on guys pick on me I'm a Brit and I eat Heinz baked beans cold out of the tin.

You don't need to be picked on, you need professional help! If you must eat canned beans, go for the B&M brand.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I use the pan juices from my pork ribs to make my baked beans, plus any pork left over. Soak the beans overnight, rinse and drain, layer with sliced onions and minced garlic pour pan juices over, add water if needed and cook on low in the crock pot till done.
Nice one, PF. I've made some with a bit of bbq sauce also, and they can be quite nice. Especially as a side for a bbq meal.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #17
Half Baked

You Brits and your baked beans......

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roger+Daltrey++3.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	10317  
Old 03-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #19
Master Chef

G.W.'s Baked Great Lakes Style Baked Beans:

Now we know that Boston is beantown, and that they use mollases exclusively to add that wonderful flavor to Boston Baked beans. But that isn't the only kind of sweetener that goes well with the little legumes (did you know that in California, beans are sometimes reffered to as "barking spyder eggs).

Here in Great Lakes country, we have lots of maple trees. So, every now and again, for a treat, we use pure, grade b maple syrup to sweeten the beans.

So here's how I make them.

Ingredients:
1 quart of either uncooked Great Northern, or Navy beans
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup grade b maple syrup
1/ cup dark brown brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tbs. prepared yellow mustard
1 lb. of your choice - maple cured bacon, smoky ham, smoked ham hocks, or jowls, or fresh boston Butt roast, with bone.

Wash the beans in running water and place into a 3 quart pot. Cover with water so that there are two inches above the beans. Bring to a boil and let cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Drain. Add fresh water, again so that it fill the pot 2 inches above the beans and bring to a boil. Add the salt, cover and let simmer for an hour. Test the beans. They need to be soft, not almost soft. If they are not tender, cook another ten to twenty minutes and retest.

While the beans are cooking, slice the meat into bite-sized chunks and lightly brown them in a pan. Remove from heat and let cool.

When the beans are soft, drain any excess water from the pot. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir, cover and place in a crock pot, or in the oven, covered, and bake or slow cook for about three hours. Stir every half hour or so. If you desire, you can add just a bit of liquid smoke to the pot.

After you have made these beans, you can play with the flavors by adding barbecue sauce, or a bit of tomato paste. Worcestershire sauce also work in baked beans. Of course you can use molasses instead of maple syrup. I've had some very good beans that were primarily Boston style, but with a bit of chili powder added.

But whatever flavor you like best, it is essential that the beans be very tender before adding any acid containing ingredients, such as prepared mustard, vinegar, catchup, tomato, etc. The acid reacts with the protein in the beans to make them hard, and they just won't soften after that.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #20
Senior Cook

the baked bean bath made me nauseous...

Tags
beans