"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Hey Mollyanne and Princess Fiona- Have you ever used Hawaiian Sweet bread, and eggnog to make your french toast? Just asken...It is pretty good!

Old 01-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #12
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
French Toast Off!!!!
DC's very first Throw-down.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Hey Mollyanne and Princess Fiona- Have you ever used Hawaiian Sweet bread, and eggnog to make your french toast? Just asken...It is pretty good!
Oh man, now your talkin chopper.......just outa sight!!

I've soaked overnight and not soaked overnight, and call me nuts but it's better overnight. Specifically I'm talking about those combination breakfast casseroles that has a gizzilion variations, but all with egg and bread included.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
No, I have not tried that. Sounds a bit sweet for me! But, I'd fix it for anyone who would like it!
Old 01-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Oh man, now your talkin chopper.......just outa sight!!

I've soaked overnight and not soaked overnight, and call me nuts but it's better overnight. Specifically I'm talking about those combination breakfast casseroles that has a gizzilion variations, but all with egg and bread included.
I have made those the night before.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
We need a panel of judges who will not only cook their own, following the recipes, but be brave enough to eat them.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #17
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post

I think there was a pancake throw down at one point.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I bet my family would eat anyone's french toast!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #19
Flour Child

Chopper...I have heard of the use of Hawaiian sweetbread but I'm used to the bread I use now. I know those that have had it that way rave about it so you are qualified now for the throw-down with the Princess....haha.

Now this is going to sound bad for french toast but I get rosemary crusty bread (round loaves) made by La Brea bakery...an artisan bread from Harris Teeter. And since it has a slight Rosemary flavor going on (hush Princess lol) then eggnog would be...well...just weird. So I just use eggs, salt, a little milk, pure vanilla, cinnamon, and a bit of sugar (no nutmeg)...to keep things simple. But it's the art of how I cook them that makes them...well...better than the Princess's

kayelle...I know what you mean about soaking the bread overnight in a Breakfast Casserole or strata...I do that too. But I usually don't have that forethought for french toast, plus I don't want it falling apart. I do get it soaked through though.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
Chopper...I have heard of the use of Hawaiian sweetbread but I'm used to the bread I use now. I know those that have had it that way rave about it so you are qualified now for the throw-down with the Princess....haha.

Now this is going to sound bad for french toast but I get rosemary crusty bread (round loaves) made by La Brea bakery...an artisan bread from Harris Teeter. And since it has a slight Rosemary flavor going on (hush Princess lol) then eggnog would be...well...just weird. So I just use eggs, salt, a little milk, pure vanilla, cinnamon, and a bit of sugar (no nutmeg)...to keep things simple. But it's the art of how I cook them that makes them...well...better than the Princess's

kayelle...I know what you mean about soaking the bread overnight in a Breakfast Casserole or strata...I do that too. But I usually don't have that forethought for french toast, plus I don't want it falling apart. I do get it soaked through though.
Oh no...the throw down was with you MA! My recipe against yours, but now that I see you use a rosemary bread...

Tags
cooking