"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Hey Mollyanne and Princess Fiona- Have you ever used Hawaiian Sweet bread, and eggnog to make your french toast? Just asken...It is pretty good!
__________________

__________________
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #12
Master Chef
 
DaveSoMD's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
French Toast Off!!!!
DC's very first Throw-down.
__________________

__________________
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #13
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Hey Mollyanne and Princess Fiona- Have you ever used Hawaiian Sweet bread, and eggnog to make your french toast? Just asken...It is pretty good!
Oh man, now your talkin chopper.......just outa sight!!


I've soaked overnight and not soaked overnight, and call me nuts but it's better overnight. Specifically I'm talking about those combination breakfast casseroles that has a gizzilion variations, but all with egg and bread included.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Hey Mollyanne and Princess Fiona- Have you ever used Hawaiian Sweet bread, and eggnog to make your french toast? Just asken...It is pretty good!
No, I have not tried that. Sounds a bit sweet for me! But, I'd fix it for anyone who would like it!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Oh man, now your talkin chopper.......just outa sight!!


I've soaked overnight and not soaked overnight, and call me nuts but it's better overnight. Specifically I'm talking about those combination breakfast casseroles that has a gizzilion variations, but all with egg and bread included.
I have made those the night before.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
DC's very first Throw-down.
We need a panel of judges who will not only cook their own, following the recipes, but be brave enough to eat them.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
DC's very first Throw-down.

I think there was a pancake throw down at one point.
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #18
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
I bet my family would eat anyone's french toast!
__________________
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #19
Flour Child
 
mollyanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 1,406
Chopper...I have heard of the use of Hawaiian sweetbread but I'm used to the bread I use now. I know those that have had it that way rave about it so you are qualified now for the throw-down with the Princess....haha.

Now this is going to sound bad for french toast but I get rosemary crusty bread (round loaves) made by La Brea bakery...an artisan bread from Harris Teeter. And since it has a slight Rosemary flavor going on (hush Princess lol) then eggnog would be...well...just weird. So I just use eggs, salt, a little milk, pure vanilla, cinnamon, and a bit of sugar (no nutmeg)...to keep things simple. But it's the art of how I cook them that makes them...well...better than the Princess's

kayelle...I know what you mean about soaking the bread overnight in a Breakfast Casserole or strata...I do that too. But I usually don't have that forethought for french toast, plus I don't want it falling apart. I do get it soaked through though.
__________________


. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
Chopper...I have heard of the use of Hawaiian sweetbread but I'm used to the bread I use now. I know those that have had it that way rave about it so you are qualified now for the throw-down with the Princess....haha.

Now this is going to sound bad for french toast but I get rosemary crusty bread (round loaves) made by La Brea bakery...an artisan bread from Harris Teeter. And since it has a slight Rosemary flavor going on (hush Princess lol) then eggnog would be...well...just weird. So I just use eggs, salt, a little milk, pure vanilla, cinnamon, and a bit of sugar (no nutmeg)...to keep things simple. But it's the art of how I cook them that makes them...well...better than the Princess's

kayelle...I know what you mean about soaking the bread overnight in a Breakfast Casserole or strata...I do that too. But I usually don't have that forethought for french toast, plus I don't want it falling apart. I do get it soaked through though.
Oh no...the throw down was with you MA! My recipe against yours, but now that I see you use a rosemary bread...
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cooking

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.