"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-29-2011, 01:33 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Ah impatience, a trait of the young i'm afraid.

bump *wince*

Old 03-29-2011, 01:54 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

whooooaaaa there, tiger.

you'll "have a night to remember" if you act gracefully, not too eager in any way. trust me. lol.

the italian seafood dinner i was talking about is seafood marinara with angel hair pasta, aka capellini. yeah, you can make this with a ton o' garlic, or with none, but imo it needs some. and if both of you are eating it, that cancels out the bad breath factor to a degree. just be sure to cook the garlic a bit so it's not stinky.

this dish can mostly be prepped before hand, so when you get home all you have is a few minutes to cook.

before you go to pick her up, make a quick marinara sauce by frying a half of a minced sweet onion and several minced garlic cloves in evoo, add some minced anchovy and stir until it melts in , and dump in a large can of crushed tomatoes into a deep saute pan.

splurge on a good can of san marzano tomatoes as it makes or breaks the dish.. cento brand in my favourite at about $3 per can.

stir in a pinch or two of dried oregano, then simmer the sauce on low for about a half hour or so, stirring frequently until it thickens up. when it's thick, cover and set aside.

also before you go, peel and devein a half pound of jumbo shrimp, and scrub/rinse a dozen little neck clams. cover the shrimp and clams and put them into the fridge with a dozen large (or a half pound of bay) scallops.

for the rest of the stuff you'll need in place to cook later, also known as "mise en place", rinse and tear up a big handful of fresh basil leaves, and chop up a smaller amount of fresh parsley. (parsley acts to help kill bad breath, btw). also, have a small can of tomato paste ready if you should need it later.

when you get home, all you'll need to do is make the pasta and finish cooking the shellfish in the sauce.

after you've gotten her comfortable, start a pot of salted water right away for the capellini, which cooks the fastest of all pastas and doesn't feel "heavy". when the water is boiling, add the capellini and set a timer for 5 minutes. you also don't want to overcook the pasta so it's mushy.

while the water is starting to heat up, get the sauce simmering again, then toss in all of the shellfish and most of the torn basil and chopped parsley, reserving some for the end. stir to incorporate the sauce and shellfish.

cover tightly and let it simmer for about 4 or 5 minutes. peek to see when the clams have opened and the shrimp and scallops are opaque throughout, stirring again. it shouldn't take very long, in fact, the longer you cook it, the tougher and less flavourful it'll get.

the shellfish will add some liquid to the sauce as it cooks so you might need to cook this uncovered depending on how thick you got the sauce to start. if it's way too thin, stir in a heaping tbsp of the tomato paste and leave it uncovered to help it thicken back up.

if you've timed this right, the shellfish and the pasta will be ready at the same time. lots of double entendre there, lol.

drain and plate the pasta, and ladel the shellfish and sauce into the middle. sprinkle with the reserved basil and parsley.

serve with bread and a dipping bowl of evoo, salt, and freshly cracked pepper. it looks more sophisticated than butter. but only use good evoo.

hth, and good luck.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:14 AM   #13
Master Chef

I would suggest some Bossa Nova with say, Astrud Gilberto and Stan Getz to set the mood. That, with fine dining and she'll be begging for you.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:17 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, roadfix!

they're only 18. i doubt it'll work.

but i'll go out with you...

btw, zath, pay attention to the lyrics before the final chorus. married, family, etc.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:30 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

evoo?

This reminds me of a mediterrean stew I did but that was a summer dish.

I'll think about it, I think it's a good idea but i'm open to hear others.

Whoa whoa whoa! FAMILY!?! I just wanted a good meal! ;)

The music I have covered, don't worry none of that new BS that people my age call music.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:33 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

oh, sorry. evoo = extra virgin olive oil.

buy a small bottle of the best you can find. it won't go to waste.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:44 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Zathorious, fresh cut flowers on the table, leave a few "sensitive" books on show, within the first 30 mins get someone to call you on the phone and pretend to be your Mum, tell your fake mum how much you miss her and your puppy "Bolas".
Never do a romantic dinner for the first time, she will have her guard up.
The lunch, don't be a cheap skate, fry cubes of pancetta drain and save, fry in the left over oil cubes of cooked lobster (you could use shrimp) lightly, drain and save, fry pieces of chicken liver (I used foie gras) drain and save. Mix the them all into a well dressed salad, don't serve wine your intent would be obvious.
Pudding has to be a dark chocolate mousse with the clincher a glass of Sautern or Tokay.
Pick your romantic background music well, may I suggest Sex Bomb by Tom Jones on a continuous loop.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:47 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
oh, sorry. evoo = extra virgin olive oil.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
within the first 30 mins get someone to call you on the phone and pretend to be your Mum, tell your fake mum how much you miss her and your puppy "Bolas".
rofl!
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Zathorious, fresh cut flowers on the table, leave a few "sensitive" books on show, within the first 30 mins get someone to call you on the phone and pretend to be your Mum, tell your fake mum how much you miss her and your puppy "Bolas".
Pick your romantic background music well, may I suggest Sex Bomb by Tom Jones on a continuous loop.
Sensitive books!!!! Really!!! Do you want her to think he is some wimp?

Like what book? "How To Do Her In 40 ways", "She Hurt my Feelings", "How to Understand Women", "From Door To Bed In 20 Minutes".

Fake MUM!!
Miss your puppy!!
Sex Bomb by Tom Jones???!!!
This is by far the WORST BAD advice I've ever seen, BAD and incredibly FUNNY. thanks for the laughs!
Bolas, we need to keep you around for advice.