"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Head Chef

Sharing Recipes

Wasn't sure where to post this.

It's great to see a cooking site w/ members from all over the world, so we can share our dishes & ideas. The problem, for me, is the measurements & some of the slang. If possible, when sharing a recipe, can you post in U.S. measurements as well? Re slang - we all like to have fun with one another & be playful, at times; but when all members don't understand what is being said, it leaves some members feeling a disconnect (as well as stating military time, & "Hellos" in a different language). Thanks for your understanding.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post

It's great to see a cooking site w/ members from all over the world, so we can share our dishes & ideas. The problem, for me, is the measurements & some of the slang. If possible, when sharing a recipe, can you post in U.S. measurements as well? Re slang - we all like to have fun with one another & be playful, at times; but when all members don't understand what is being said, it leaves some members feeling a disconnect (as well as stating military time, & "Hellos" in a different language). Thanks for your understanding.
Ok, so for a perfect pie crust, start with about 3 cups AP flour, and about 1.5 tsp salt. Add a blob of lard to the crust and cut it in. If it doesn't form perfect pea-gravel texture, add another, smaller blob, and cut it in. Repeat until you get the right texture. Add a smidgen of ice cold water and gently stir the dough together until the gravel forms a complete mass of dough, but don't overmix so as to blend the little nuggets into a homogenous dough.

Divide the dough into two equal blobs and place onto your work surface. Roll from the center outward to form the crust, after dusting the work surface and top of the dough ball with flour. Cut the rolled ough into a perfect circle and fold in half, twice. Place into your pie pan and unfold. Fill the first crust, or blind bake if required. Roll out the second crust. Fold like the first and place on top of the pie. Cut vents after fluting the edges.

There, is that accurate enough measurements?

Just kidding. I understand your request for accurate measurements, and common, or at least translated terms. In fairness to others not from the U.S. though, it is just as easy for us to look up a conversion when we receive a recipe, as it is for them to look up and make the conversion to what we are used to. Conversely, are we expected to convert our standard English volume measurements to weight measurements, or from English to metric so that those who cook by weight, or who use metric standards can understand the recipes that we post?

maybe it would be a good idea if we have a post with a link to a measurement conversion chart or calculator site.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
Executive Chef

A link to a conversion chart would be more than helpful - hint hint
Old 07-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have found this site of use in making all manner of conversions:
Online Conversions
Old 07-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Executive Chef

About measurements, I think it's a little US-centric to ask metric chefs to post US units unless US members also post metric unit equivalents. I'd rather not do that. I think most metric chefs are used to translating US into metric, and at least some of us US chefs have learned to translate metric into US. I've memorized the most popular conversions (a Kg is 2.2 lb., a cup is 250 ml or a quarter liter, etc.)

As far as slang, I've seen a bit of UK kidding around I didn't fully understand but I haven't seen any recipes that were obscured by incomprehensible slang. Could you give some examples of slang terms that you didn't understand?

You can use Google to easily convert units:

Search Features

Scroll down to the heading "Unit Conversion." You just type whatever you need in your search box. The description tells how to word it. Example: "1 kg in pounds." Hit "search" and Google does the job.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
About measurements, I think it's a little US-centric to ask metric chefs to post US units unless US members also post metric unit equivalents. I'd rather not do that. I think most metric chefs are used to translating US into metric, and at least some of us US chefs have learned to translate metric into US. I've memorized the most popular conversions (a Kg is 2.2 lb., a cup is 250 ml or a quarter liter, etc.)

As far as slang, I've seen a bit of UK kidding around I didn't fully understand but I haven't seen any recipes that were obscured by incomprehensible slang. Could you give some examples of slang terms that you didn't understand?

You can use Google to easily convert units:

Search Features

Scroll down to the heading "Unit Conversion." You just type whatever you need in your search box. The description tells how to word it. Example: "1 kg in pounds." Hit "search" and Google does the job.

I agree, when I dont understand measurements I just find myself a conversion chart.

I am also not aware of slang used in recipes - would need examples to understand what is meant by this please, so it can be avoided.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I have found this site of use in making all manner of conversions:
Online Conversions
Nice share .. tyvm !!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post

I asked "If possible... can you post in U.S. measurements as well." It was a request to the poster of a recipe. One can make a point, w/o being a smart alec. I wasn't asking for exact or precise measurements either.

Slang had nothing to do w/ wording in a recipe. Please reread. Thank you.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
A link to a conversion chart would be more than helpful - hint hint
I use this one all the time for my work.

Online Conversion - Convert just about anything to anything else

The cooking conversions is mid-way down on the page.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I personally don't measure unless I'm baking. I am more of a "by guess and by golly" type. I give guesstimates when I post a recipe unless I've made a conscious effort to measure everything...