"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

SLOW COOKER vs. PRESSURE COOKER (new thread because of circumstance)

Hi,
New to this forum, please help.
My wife is very sick and I now do the cooking for myself, my wife and the dog.
I don't cook very well and don't like to cook, but fast/processed foods are out of the question since we now eat healthy.
I'm debating between a slow cooker and pressure cooker for simple, one pot, few ingredients, healthy, low budget meals like stews, soups, etc.
In your forum you mainly discuss the pros and cons as far as flavors, tenderness, etc.

I need a set it and forget method, that's quick and simple to throw all the ingredients in with as little prep as posssible.
No problem prepping the food at the beginning of the day for a slow cooker or at night for the pressure cooker.
Thanks.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Everymom

I think you're better off with a slow cooker if you want a set and forget type of cooking. You need to be present and paying attention to a pressure cooker. There is no ignoring one of those babies.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Go for a slow cooker. They are easier to use and require no attention once you start them. There are a lot of slow cooker / crockpot recipes too. Just be sure there is nothing touching the outside if the cooker, some of the newer ones get a bit warm to the touch.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I think you're better off with a slow cooker if you want a set and forget type of cooking. You need to be present and paying attention to a pressure cooker. There is no ignoring one of those babies.
Left unattended, one of those lil' piggies blew a hole into someone's ceiling taking a ham joint far into the rafters above. How anyone was killed, beats me.

A slow cooker is fine, but for food safety always brown any meat before putting in. And always get the 'cooker to preheat first. I'm sure the OP realises that anyway, but it's worth mentioning.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
Master Chef

Welcome to the forum Joe and I'm sure your wife appreciates you stepping up the the plate. I would suggest the crock pot also, if given just a choice between the two. If her illness is ongoing, we could help and support you with other methods of cooking also. One pot meals can be tiresome after a while. Good luck to you.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux View Post
A slow cooker is fine, but for food safety always brown any meat before putting in. And always get the 'cooker to preheat first. I'm sure the OP realises that anyway, but it's worth mentioning.
What is unsafe about not browning meat before putting in the crockpot? All it does, apart from giving you another pan to wash up, is change the color slightly and supposedly give a slight extra "meaty" flavor.

[Browning meat first causes what is known as the Maillard reaction]

I have never browned any meat first, nor do I preheat the crockpot before putting things in it. And I've been using a crockpot for well over 30 years.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
What is unsafe about not browning meat before putting in the crockpot? All it does, apart from giving you another pan to wash up, is change the color slightly and supposedly give a slight extra "meaty" flavor.

I have never browned any meat first, nor do I preheat the crockpot before putting things in it. And I've been using a crockpot for well over 30 years.
You beat me to it....was going to say the very same thing,Phaedra, although until I read this, I didn't know anything about Maillard reaction.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/meat/index.html

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post

Fine you do it your way. But I do it my way - brown my meat because I love the flavour. Prefer it because also, I feel it IS safer, and that's come from habit of being a professional cook who takes no chances.

As for the 'extra pan to wash up' - I don't. I bung it in the dishwasher and get then myself a life outa the kitchen, put up my hoofs and watch telly.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
Master Chef

Site Moderator

About the only thing I don't brown before putting it in he crock is boneless chicken breasts or pork ( if I am making pulled pork). I think it does add a depth of flavor, specially if you deglaze the pan and add that to the crock pot.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #10
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux View Post
As for the 'extra pan to wash up' - I don't. I bung it in the dishwasher
Would you believe that I don't have a dishwasher? And I make cooking to be as simple as possible, so pre-browning, de-glazing pans, and then the extra one to wash up is, I'm afraid, beyond my capabilities.