"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

St. Patrick's Day Side Dishes

Hi All,
I have some great recipes for corned beef for the upcoming holiday... but I'm always at a loss for what to serve as side dishes for St. Patrick's Day. Does anyone have any good suggestions or links?

Thanks,
Lori

Old 02-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Just a question. Will these be going onto your website?

Old 02-21-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

St. Patrick's Day dishes

Don't know. I try lots of different things and then post what my favorites are- not just random stuff. I cook every day! I just happen to be having a big St. Patrick's Day family party though so I was hoping to be able to put together a fun, delicious menu.

Thanks,
Lori
Old 02-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
Master Chef

One thing I make instead of the usual "boiled" cabbage, is roughly shredded cabbage sauteed in an obscene amount of butter & seasoned with just a little salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste. Even my cabbage-disliking husband likes this one.

I just melt a stick of butter in a large frying pan, add the shredded cabbage, stir, & cover - checking & stirring occasionally. When it just hits the crisp-tender stage, I season & serve. Gives Corned Beef & Cabbage a whole new look/taste.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

colcannon, sure and there's a good girl
Old 02-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

St. Patrick's Day dishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
One thing I make instead of the usual "boiled" cabbage, is roughly shredded cabbage sauteed in an obscene amount of butter & seasoned with just a little salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste. Even my cabbage-disliking husband likes this one.

I just melt a stick of butter in a large frying pan, add the shredded cabbage, stir, & cover - checking & stirring occasionally. When it just hits the crisp-tender stage, I season & serve. Gives Corned Beef & Cabbage a whole new look/taste.
Tons of butter makes everything taste better
I would like this one too-

Thanks!
Lori
Old 02-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #7
Master Chef

I like to cook cabbage and potatoes in the juice from the corned beef (which I cook in a crock-pot with the seasoning packet included with the beef and a can of beer). Add crusty bread for dipping in the juice, and I'm a happy camper.
There are traditional dishes like Irish Soda Bread and Bubble & Squeak that you may want to try, but I don't have recipes for those.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:20 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all of the help with the St. Patrick's Day recipes... it's all coming together and I should have a nice menu to share with the fam! I think I'll try out some corned beef though before the big day... MMMMM.

Lori
Old 02-24-2007, 07:35 AM   #9
Head Chef

I add a sliced orange to the pot for my corned beef, along with the usual seasonings. Very good flavor.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:44 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

you must have boiled potatoes, and 2 boiled vegetables with the meat. usually it's carrots or turnips, and the ubiquitous cabbage.

you could do a tray of other roasted root veggies or sauteed baby veggies. everything from carrots, beets, leeks, onions, rutabagas, squash, brussel sprouts, stringbeans, peas, even baby bok choy, etc..

roasting is easy: fairly even sized pieces, tossed in evoo and s&p, and roasted in the oven at 350.
for sauteeing, i just melt a half stick of butter into a cup of chicken stock in a wok, then add thinly sliced garlic, s&p, and bring to a foamy boil, then toss in the baby veggies. after they've soften just enough, remove them to a bowl, reduce the liquid in the wok and pour over baby veggies.

some other sides you might offer, for an appetizer, try irish cheddar cheese on stone ground whole wheat crackers, topped with a dollop of spicey brown mustard, and chopped raw onion. you'll need to keep this tray near the beer station.

how about smoked salmon, on irish brown bread (like pumpernickel) toast points, with a chive cream cheese.

or an offering of black and white puddings, grilled or griddled, and served with mini potato or oat rolls and butter sauteed onions.

and whole tomatoes that have been topped and sprinkled with herbs du provence mix, then baked. you could also scoop out the tomato a little and add the herbs mixed with some crispy irish bacon lardons.

another side you might try are northern irish potato pancakes for boxtie. (pronounced box-tee). i don'y have a recipe, but if i remember to bring it in, i just got a new irish cookbook. i'll post some recipes on monday.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote