Steaks vs. Burgers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burgers and Steaks both cooked the same??

• Total voters

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Over the years I've heard lots of folks say they like their burgers cooked more than their steaks. So what's the story with you?

I like my steaks cooked rare to med. rare and my burgers the same.

I like steaks med rare and burgers medium. So I guess I'm one of those who like burgers a bit more done than steaks. I think part of it for me is the higher chance of e. coli in the ground beef (especially if you didn't grind it yourself).

A rare hamburger might not be cooked enough to hold together. A rare steak will always hold together.

I'll take MR for both.

When we bought part of a grass fed beef last year, the burger was really lean. Not sure if it was because the way it was raised or the parts used to make burger was just leaner. Anyway, it was at its juicy best if grilled only medium rare. Otherwise, I had not consistently had medium rare burgers previously. Usually I like medium. Medium- well to well done if its at a first time restaurant/ grill/ bar/ and Especially if you know they are using pre-formed frozen patties. Nothing wrong with that, just don't know where all they may have been shipped from. I like when you see the meat dept guy bringing out fresh ground beef to stock the meat cases. Doesn't mean a thing, they could have a semi truck backed up to the loading dock and who knows when it was ground, but it Seems Like it is tastier.

I like steaks medium rare.

I'd be hard pressed to answer which do I like better - a good steak or a good burger. I appreciate eating both.

I like my steak med.rare hamburgers thin and very well done almost charred on the outside. Guess you can guess I'm not much of a burger person. Steaks emmmm burgers well ok if I have to.
kades

"I like my steak med.rare hamburgers thin and very well done almost charred on the outside. Guess you can guess I'm not much of a burger person. Steaks emmmm burgers well ok if I have to."

You've either never had a great burger, or it's a texture issue like I have with large mushrooms. Either way I'm sorry:chef:;)

Just got a grinder, will have to weigh in later. I usually like mine anywhere from medium to medium rare.

I like my burgers med well and my steaks any way they come off the grill. I just consider a med ribeye and a well ribeye 2 different creatures that I enjoy just as much. I do like horseradish with the med well to well, and Salsa with med.

Just got a grinder, will have to weigh in later. I usually like mine anywhere from medium to medium rare.

Please try equal parts sirloin, (I like the flap meat),brisket and (in the best case scenario dry aged) short ribs loosely shaped into patties and liberally salted...then salted a bit more(this is why I don't have these often) and cooked my wife's favorite way, on the grill or my favorite way in a screaming hot cast iron skillet with a touch of bacon grease. Top it with an OE fried egg, cheddar cheese, sauteed onions and mushrooms , a slice or two of bacon, crisp pickles or potato chips(depending on whether I was having fries or fried pickles) and some avocado smashed into a little mayo and lime juice

Last edited:
niquejim said:
Please try equal parts sirloin, (I like the flap meat),brisket and (in the best case scenario dry aged) short ribs loosely shaped into patties and liberally salted...then salted a bit more(this is why I don't have these often) and cooked my wife's favorite way, on the grill or my favorite way in a screaming hot cast iron skillet with a touch of bacon grease. Top it with an OE fried egg, cheddar cheese, sauteed onions and mushrooms , a slice or two of bacon, crisp pickles or potato chips(depending on whether I was having fries or fried pickles) and some avocado smashed into a little mayo and lime juice

Thanks for the meat suggestions, your recipe sounds wonderful!

I like my burgers rare and my steaks rare. If I can't have the burger rare I'll order something else. There are a few places in town where I know they grind their own and I have visited their kitchens.

I like my burgers well done. Not hockey pucks, just not pink.

I like my steaks red rare, not purple.

Not a fan of burgers or streak but when i have some i like my Burgers and Steaks cooked the same. med to well. is it healthy to eat your steaks rare?

no, just more flavourful in some people's opinion.

actually, come to think of it, yes, if you char the meat past well done. charred protein is carcinogenous.

but you'd have to eat a hundred charred horses or some such silliness, so no, and yes.

:)

i prefer my steak somewhere between mooing and medium, depending on the cut and application, and my boigahs medium rare to medium, depending on the efficacy of the origin of said boigahs...

it also depends on the type of boigah. beef is the standardm, but i like more rare bison for the texture, as well as deer and elk. i like fatty, medium pork, and heavily spiced, well done turkey boigahs.

ok, this is getting away from andy's beef arguement.

Buongiorno Andy,

Thank you for your thread.

Firstly, I would only eat a blue rare Filet Mignon, Wagyu or Prime Rib Eye Steak in this fashion, blue rare ... I love Steak Tartar and Beef Carpacchio.

I have never eaten hamburgers nor shall I. It was never a dish, my Mom or Grandmom served in our house growing up and thus, the culture of a hamburger and fast food had never really existed. Pizza was our fast food or a re-heated lasagne or Provolone or Proscuitto di Parma on a Hero ... baguette ...

I have of course, eaten and I have prepared Italian Meatballs and Italian Meatloaf and traditional Emilia Romagna Bolognese all my life, and the ground beef mixed with ground pork should be well cooked.

Have a lovely weekend.
Ciao,
Margaux Cintrano.

Last edited:
Buongiorno Andy,

Thank you for your thread.

Firstly, I would only eat a blue rare Filet Mignon, Wagyu or Prime Rib Eye Steak in this fashion, blue rare ... I love Steak Tartar and Beef Carpacchio.

I have never eaten hamburgers nor shall I. It was never a dish, my Mom or Grandmom served in our house growing up and thus, the culture of a hamburger and fast food had never really existed. Pizza was our fast food or a re-heated lasagne or Provolone or Proscuitto di Parma on a Hero ... baguette ...

I have of course, eaten and I have prepared Italian Meatballs and Italian Meatloaf and traditional Emilia Romagna Bolognese all my life, and the ground beef mixed with ground pork should be well cooked.

Have a lovely weekend.
Ciao,
Margaux Cintrano.

Try to think of a homemade burger as chopped steak and not the garbage that fast food places serve. I often make meatballs and grill them for sliders. As you mention, these have to be cooked well because of the pork.

For good ol beef burgers, med rare, same as my steak.

wow, your pedestal is seperating you from a real pleasure in life, margi: a great burger. as craigsie said, not a fast food hockey puck, but one well made.

if it helps, it's really a dish from germany aka hambug steak or frikadelle.

Back
Top Bottom