"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: How Do You Like Your Stuffing/Dressing?
I call it stuffing. 73 57.94%
I call it dressing. 41 32.54%
I prefer bread. 53 42.06%
I prefer cornbread. 32 25.40%
I prefer rice. 7 5.56%
I stuff the bird. 39 30.95%
I use a casserole. 57 45.24%
I like my stuffing/dressing moist. 96 76.19%
I like my stuffing/dressing dry. 11 8.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #41
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
And the leftover mashed potatoes and dressing covered in gravy? Sometimes I think the day after Thanksgiving is better than Thanksgiving! LOL

Barbara
I agree! Leftover are the best! I came home after missing our turkey dinner with my brother and made cornish hen Monday...a great substitution for 2 people. I unfortunately had to make Stove Top...my girlfriend likes it

Old 10-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #42
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Interesting. I've been eating stuffing from the turkey most years for over 40 years, since I'm using my mom's recipe with never a problem. The stuffing always comes out steaming. The dressing in the casserole just doesn't have the same flavor without the turkey juices in it.

The fact that the stuffing "...always comes out steaming." tells the tale. The stuffing got hot enough to kill off any harmful bacteria that may have been present.

When I do the dressing in a casserole, I add turkey broth to give it that 'in turkey' flavor.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:49 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
LEFTOVERS! That's the only reason I have Thanksgiving at my house and tell everyone not to make anything - Use the cranberry relish as a spread, just a LITTLE turkey, tons of dressing, white bread - YUM Breakfast is always a bowl of slightly nuked broccoli casserole. My ex MIL made the BEST broccoli casserole!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:54 PM   #44
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
LEFTOVERS! That's the only reason I have Thanksgiving at my house and tell everyone not to make anything -
I don't blame you! The day after Thanksgiving is kind of a let-down when you eat somewhere else and don't have leftovers the next day!

Barbara
Old 10-12-2007, 04:58 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
When I do the dressing in a casserole, I add turkey broth to give it that 'in turkey' flavor.

as well as i. another trick i employ is to use turkey sausage in the "stuffing".

while i realize that it isn't stuffed into anything, i prefer a casserole type, but still call it stuffing.

i've found i prefer to make it in a glass baking dish.

that way you can control the amount of liquid added initailly, by eye-ing it, and you will end up with a combination of a crusty surface, with a wetter bottom layer. something for everyone's tastes.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:43 PM   #46
Senior Cook

Stuffing & gravy are my favorites too. I do like dressing when the stuffing runs out. I like it moist with the crunchy layer. My favorite stuffing includes bread, butter, sausage, apricots, almonds, celery, onion & Grand Marnier.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:55 PM   #47
Master Chef

In our family the definitions always were that "stuffing" was dryer & more "fluffy", while dressing was moister & more solid. Since dad liked stuffing & mom prefered dressing, they used to take turns every year.

Since these days Thanksgiving is just husband & I, & he's not a big stuffing/dressing fan, we roast our organic free-range bird without it & I try whatever stuffing recipe tempts my fancy every year baked in a separate casserole. Since we have a very proliferous chestnut tree on the farm, some years I use my own chestnuts for a chestnut/brandy stuffing; other years I do a cornbread variation; still others I take the easy way out with just a bag of commercial cubes with a lot of home additions. It always comes out great.

I must say though, that the one stuffing I definitely did not care for was oyster stuffing. I just couldn't warm up to the seafood/turkey thing.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:39 PM   #48
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
while i realize that it isn't stuffed into anything, i prefer a casserole type, but still call it stuffing.
I guess you could say you stuffed it into the casserole!

Barbara
Old 10-14-2007, 01:56 PM   #49
Master Chef

I think that the stuffing is the best part of Thanksgiving. A pile of stuffing drizzled with turkey gravy seasoned with pepper would just suit me fine. I like other parts of the meal, but to me stuffing is the ultimate comfort food!!

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #50
Sous Chef

Moist and Dressing,
for those eating turkey they stuff it, I usually put it in foil and bake it, (same mix though). this year put an egg in there along with the mix just to see what it would be like. turned out well

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote