Stuffing/Dressing Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How Do You Like Your Stuffing/Dressing?

• I call it stuffing.

Votes: 73 58.4%
  • I call it dressing.

Votes: 40 32.0%
  • I prefer bread.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I prefer cornbread.

Votes: 32 25.6%
  • I prefer rice.

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • I stuff the bird.

Votes: 39 31.2%
  • I use a casserole.

Votes: 57 45.6%
  • I like my stuffing/dressing moist.

Votes: 96 76.8%
  • I like my stuffing/dressing dry.

Votes: 11 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We call it dressing. I love my mom's oyster dressing made with french bread, lots of green onions & parsley. Oysters, too, of course. But I also have a fondness of really moist cornbread dressing w/o sausage. For the past 5 or 6 years, I've been trying to re-create a recipe of a dressing that I had years & years ago, but still no luck.

I use cornbread and herb croutons, turkey stock, dried cranberries, mushroom soup, celery/onions/green peppers/garlic, Bob Evans or Jimmy Dean bulk sausage. I bake the spices into the cornbread which creates even distribution throughout the dressing. I bake mine in a casserole.

My Mom always stuffed her turkeys and we never got sick.

I use the boxed, seasoned breadcube mix and add fried, bulk sausage, onions & celery to it. Then I stuff the bird...at both ends. Since we haven't had Thanksgiving dinners here, for a few years, I end up taking the finished bird to one of my kids' houses for the holiday. This year, I'll be having dinner here, with our son's family, since everyone else has moved out of the area.:( At least I only have to make a couple of things, and they'll bring the rest! ;o)

Now that I have voted. Stuffing, moist, bread, in the bird. I realize that may not be how I like it but more like how I get it everything Thanksgiving. I don't cook the meal but the traditional stuffing we grew up with is served.

We don't like stuffing in our family, either. We always have a wild rice dish with mushrooms and pecans or walnuts.

There are a lot of stuffing threads here, I think this is the third one I've posted on. I feel like I'm really complaining a lot about stuffing today!!

We don't like stuffing in our family, either. We always have a wild rice dish with mushrooms and pecans or walnuts.

There are a lot of stuffing threads here, I think this is the third one I've posted on. I feel like I'm really complaining a lot about stuffing today!!

The only thing I dont' like about stuffing/dressing is that I can't seem to make it as good as my parents, or grandparents did, and they are gone now and can't teach me.:(

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

The only thing I dont' like about stuffing/dressing is that I can't seem to make it as good as my parents, or grandparents did, and they are gone now and can't teach me.:(

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I was fortunate that my mom gave me lots of her cooking "secrets" before she died.

The only thing I don't like about stuffing/dressing is that it is not great for my diet, and that there is never enough! LOL

:)Barbara

I'm another one in the "stuffing" if it's in the bird and "dressing" if it's cooked outside the bird.

I prepare the one that's been served in my family for generations......

Yes, me too. Our family recipe is called dressing. It's mostly cornbread with a few biscuits and slices of "light bread", along with onion, bell pepper, celery, a couple of eggs, broth, sage and salt. While any other dishes are subject to change for a holiday meal, this dressing is always there. Now in addition there might be oyster dressing (we are from Louisiana originally) or some other new type. But the traditional one is never left out.

We cook it in a casserole and like it moist, but not wet. The top has a bit of a crust. Dressing doesn't get stuffed in the bird because as often as not the bird is a Greenberg's Smoked Turkey. My grandparents started getting those some 50 years ago.

Dressing and cranberry sauce are my favourite parts of the meal.

img_505361_0_9e46aa8c0009dc1a758ce8187f07ca6f.gif

call it what we will, we are all thankful for the food in front of us and family around us. where is that turkey anyways?!? actually I call it stuffing because I do stuff the bird. My mom and my son usually fight over the skin that was covering the stuffing, and my sister swoops in and steals it!:bash::whistling

Stuffing/Dressing

All this talk of stuffing/dressing is quite interesting, especially as only yesterday I watched a 'Christmas' program that showed one of our well known Aussie Chefs Maggie Beer cooking a turkey and making the most amazing stuffing using a combo of dried apples (reconstituted) verjuice, onion, prunes, chicken livers, butter, olive oil, flat leaf parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, fresh white breadcrumbs, sea salt and ground black pepper. After making up this lovely moist stuffing and putting it inside the turkey, she then placed a large apple in after the stuffing to hold it all in place.

I will definitely be giving this recipe a go, although as it so hot at Christmas here in Australia, we usually have a barbecue along with loads of seafood, prawns, oysters, scallops etc etc. Who wants to be sweating away in the kitchen when it's over 40c (100F+):chef:

P.S. I have been introduced to the lovely American tradition of Thanksgiving by my lovely american daughter in law who comes from North Carolina. We now get to celebrate Thanksgiving each year here as it is such a special occasion for my daughter in law.

I will definitely be giving this recipe a go, although as it so hot at Christmas here in Australia, we usually have a barbecue along with loads of seafood, prawns, oysters, scallops etc etc. Who wants to be sweating away in the kitchen when it's over 40c (100F+):chef:
We do the same but not bbq'd. The only hot thing on our table is normally the ham, but that is always dependent on the weather. Oh and of course the Christmas pud at the end.

I use the boxed, seasoned breadcube mix and add fried, bulk sausage, onions & celery to it. Then I stuff the bird...at both ends. Since we haven't had Thanksgiving dinners here, for a few years, I end up taking the finished bird to one of my kids' houses for the holiday. This year, I'll be having dinner here, with our son's family, since everyone else has moved out of the area.:( At least I only have to make a couple of things, and they'll bring the rest! ;o)

Well, after looking all over, I could no longer find the Kellogg's boxed mix, so I ended up using Pepperidge Farm's Herb mix. It was just as good, but I had to figure out how much to use...instead of pouring the whole box in the bowl.:rolleyes:

If we put it in the turkey we call it stuffing, if it is in a dish by itself we call it dressing. I like to stuff it in the bird. and I prefer to make it with bread or croutons. I was actually looking for a good oyster dressing recipe, I have always made the bread type and would add sausage to it with celery, onions, seasonings and of course broth depending on how moist or dry your preferences are.

Back
Top Bottom