The Crock Pot.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A slow cooker is at it's best making soups, stews and braises. I've had slow cooker pulled pork and it was tasty. I prefer to do it on the smoker and/or in the oven. I really like the bark you get with those methods.
me too andy,when i'm visiting bolas & madge we use the smoker.i live in an apartment so a little more tricky with a smoker:ermm::ohmy::LOL:!!.that's why i add a couple of shakes of stubb's liquid smoke to the slow cooker....not as good as the real thing but it's ok

me too andy,when i'm visiting bolas & madge we use the smoker.i live in an apartment so a little more tricky with a smoker:ermm::ohmy::LOL:!!.that's why i add a couple of shakes of stubb's liquid smoke to the slow cooker....not as good as the real thing but it's ok

You do what you can Harry. I use liquid smoke on occasion as well.

Like you Harry, we live in a condo so a smoker is out of the question. I have found that substituting smoked paprika for regular when I make up a rub gives the pulled pork a nice smokey flavor. Much like Andy though, I prefer the oven method beacuse of the nice tasty bark that develops.

I did some research and found that most slow cookers cook too high nowadays. One brand that doesn't is Hamilton Beach, I had it recommended to me by a friend. It cooks slightly hotter than the Rival that I used to have, but nowhere as hot as most Crock Pot brand. I put a thermometer in it after filling it half full with water, and after 6 hours it was only 205 degrees.

From what I've heard Crock Pot and other brands can produce a full boil.

Jennyema, I used a nice piece of chuck and it wasn't too lean. I'm sure it would have been fine cooking in a more traditional way.

Cheryl J, I think you're right about modern crock pots cooking at too high a temperature. This is why I'm searching for a solution. I'm leaning towards timing.

Harry, I've done a corned beef with fix'in in the crock pot before and it came out fine.
This time the recipe called for no liquid and it was shoe leather. Maybe having the meat sit atop the veggies was the problem?

Addie, I though low and slow would work too but in this case it didn't. And this isn't the first time.

Mad Cook, I think you're right about the time thing. I read somewhere that cooking meat there is a point where it pushes liquid out and won't re-
adsorb it. Guess I need to read some more.

Cave, I've had success with chili, soups and beans but I'm looking for a set it and forget it recipe. I don't think a baked potato in a crock pot would be to my liking because I just love a crisp skin.

Andy, Your use of the crock-pot as a warmer just might be it's best use.

Roll-Bones, I browned the chuck as per the recipe. But so far I agree that the traditional ways product the best results. I'm just looking for the lazy mans way for a nice dinner.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. I'll continue to experiment with the crock-pot trying to come up with an acceptable meal that I can make before I leave and is ready when I get home.

So far chili and soup seem to be the leaders. I guess I was hoping for more then the device can produce.

Just goes to show that the old ways are sometimes the best ways. ;)

I did some research and found that most slow cookers cook too high nowadays. One brand that doesn't is Hamilton Beach, I had it recommended to me by a friend. It cooks slightly hotter than the Rival that I used to have, but nowhere as hot as most Crock Pot brand. I put a thermometer in it after filling it half full with water, and after 6 hours it was only 205 degrees.

From what I've heard Crock Pot and other brands can produce a full boil.

Thank you Bakechef. I think I need to adjust my thinking about this device. Timing needs adjustment for sure and braise rather then roast seems likely.

Guess there's always a learning curve. ;)

It was a newer crock-pot.

And here's the recipe for those that care.

I adjusted it for the size or the meat/protein and ingredients on hand.

3 1/2 - 4 lb boneless roast.
1/4 cup flour
2tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
3 carrots, chopped.
3 potatoes 1/4ed.
2 small onions
1 stalk celery, chopped.
10 button mushrooms, sliced.

Trim excess fat from roast, brown and drain.
Combine flour, salt, and pepper and coat meat.

Place all veggies except shrooms in crock-pot and top with roast.
Put shrooms over roast.

Cover & cook on low for 10 to 12 hours.

I gave it 10 because that's about how long I'd be away.

I use a lamp timer to set it to come on after I leave and turn off before I get home. I have everything prepped and chilled. It will stay good and hot for at least an hour after it turns off, maybe more.

Nice recipe, Zagut.

As Cheryl J mentioned, the Nesco Roaster is a great CP standin. I agree, today's CPs are up way too high in temp.

I cooked tons (OK, 6 quarts at a time) of apple butter, for overnight and longer. Worked perfectly. And you can roast and even can in it!

Last edited:
Like you Harry, we live in a condo so a smoker is out of the question. I have found that substituting smoked paprika for regular when I make up a rub gives the pulled pork a nice smokey flavor. Much like Andy though, I prefer the oven method beacuse of the nice tasty bark that develops.
i use smoked paprika & the liquid smoke rocket.....i really like a smoky flavour mate.the whole apartment smells deeelish while it's cooking too, without the destruction an indoor smoker can cause:ermm::ohmy::wacko::ROFLMAO:!!
having said that i do sometimes use the foil lined wok,leaf tea & sugar technique for fillets of fish that don't take too long to smoke/cook.have the extractor on full blast so not to much smoke escapes from the kitchen.works pretty well too!

don't have the overheating problem that some of you mention.even when it's been on all day the liquid just seems to "move" rather than bubble or boil.not sure of the actual make,it was a cheapie from lakeland products.less than £20/$30

I don't cook in my crockpot as much as I should. About the only things I've cooked in it is Roast, Beef Tips & Rotel Dip. I've never been able to force myself to try all the other crockpot recipes out there.

I don't cook in my crockpot as much as I should. About the only things I've cooked in it is Roast, Beef Tips & Rotel Dip. I've never been able to force myself to try all the other crockpot recipes out there.

A Crock Pot is so versatile. You should try to get creative and make just one meal in it, each a week. Just Google "Crock Pot Recipes" and be ready for a surprise at how many recipes are out there. Winter is upon us and that says soup and stew times. :angel:

Addie, Crock Pots are great for soups and stews for sure.

But some of the recipes you find makes you think they are useful for so much more.

I tried again the other day with some chicken.

Onions, Taters, Chicken, Cream of Mushroom soup, Broccoli, and Spices.

Tasted Okay but again the meat was kind of dry.

Now I did fall asleep and it cooked longer then I wanted so It's not the fairest test but I'm not giving up yet.

I think timing is my biggest problem.

Googling recipes at random doesn't necessarily yield reliable recipes. I think it's a good idea to pick a few sites one trusts and stick with them.

It's certainly possible to overcook food in the slow cooker. Cooking low and slow causes connective tissue to break down and this tenderizes the meat. But if all the connective tissue melts away, the food becomes dry and tough.

I think the solution is to use shoulder and leg roasts, rather than cubes, chops, or cutlets, and to cook them for shorter periods of time. Bone-in chicken thighs may work, but again, 4-6 hours will probably be plenty.

I meant to say also, according to Cooks Illlustrated, an internal temp of 190°F will yield pullable meat, whether pork or beef. So taking its temperature periodically will tell you how long it needs to cook in your unit to be done and not overcooked.

Good advice GG. Thanks.

Guess I'm searching for the set it and forget it option. :rolleyes:

I know my times are too long so I'll work from there.

I'll assume recipe time are on the "Safe from lawsuits" side of things. ;)

Experimentation is a good thing and a large part of cooking. :chef:

Addie, Crock Pots are great for soups and stews for sure.

But some of the recipes you find makes you think they are useful for so much more.

I tried again the other day with some chicken.

Onions, Taters, Chicken, Cream of Mushroom soup, Broccoli, and Spices.

Tasted Okay but again the meat was kind of dry.

Now I did fall asleep and it cooked longer then I wanted so It's not the fairest test but I'm not giving up yet.

I think timing is my biggest problem.

There are recipes where they are trying to be everything to everybody. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom