"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: Do you break your spaghetti/linguine prior to cooking?
Yes, almost always or always 27 35.06%
No, never or barely ever 41 53.25%
Less than 50% of the time 6 7.79%
More than 50% of the time 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #211
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fos87 View Post
Ah, the lira. We miss it.
What brand do you have? Are there also italian ones, like Barilla, De Cecco, Buitoni?
The only pasta I buy is organic, whole grain, pasta from Italy. These are the two brands they carry at my local health food store: Bio Naturae, and Felicetti. They are both really nice tasting pasta. I cook them al dente, however long that takes.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #212
Assistant Cook

I usually don't ask for a fork, but I can't use chopsticks well. Maybe I hope to learn it, but after so many years...

Old 10-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #213
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The only pasta I buy is organic, whole grain, pasta from Italy. These are the two brands they carry at my local health food store: Bio Naturae, and Felicetti.
We usually use Barilla, that is nice tasting and doesn't cost so much, but it cracks and I don't like it. The De Cecco it's really better, but it is more expensive.
Quote:
They are both really nice tasting pasta. I cook them al dente, however long that takes.
It should be the only way to cook it :p
Old 10-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #214
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
We have that same Pasta in the Ronzoni brand. I was wondering why we don't have Prince pasta here, it's what I grew up with. Remember "Wednesday, Prince Spaghetti day"? Apparently Prince and Ronzoni are the same company.
Prince restructured and bought out Ronzoni.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #215
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Do you want kill me? Better: "Vuoi che io muoro?" as says an italian comician who mimics Joe Bastianich

If I can ask, how much do you pay pasta?
We pay about $1.00 for a full pound. But at least one week a month you can get pasta for as little as $.89-$.79 a pound. The imported pasta from Italy in cellophane packaging is usually always less than $1.00 a pound for any given brand.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #216
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I like you husband!
Mac and Cheese should be a sort of timbal of pasta and cheese, isn't it?
Mac and cheese is often made with a white sauce, melted chees in it and add to al dente cooked elbow macaroni. That is the very basic simplest way to make it. The type of cheese is the cook's option. Some add toasted bread crumbs, or tomatoes, etc.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:09 AM   #217
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
We pay about $1.00 for a full pound. But at least one week a month you can get pasta for as little as $.89-$.79 a pound. The imported pasta from Italy in cellophane packaging is usually always less than $1.00 a pound for any given brand.
Do you pay Barilla and other italian brands $1 for 450 gr? It's not much, considering that $1 is 0,7 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Mac and cheese is often made with a white sauce, melted chees in it and add to al dente cooked elbow macaroni. That is the very basic simplest way to make it. The type of cheese is the cook's option. Some add toasted bread crumbs, or tomatoes, etc.
Bread crumbs aren't a little too much in a plate of pasta? In my family we usually use them for the soups, in place of pasta.
My mother sometimes does "4 cheese pasta", good but a little heavy. The idea is the same of Mac and chesse, but maybe a little lighter: cheese sauce and pasta.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #218
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Bread crumbs aren't a little too much in a plate of pasta? In my family we usually use them for the soups, in place of pasta.
My mother sometimes does "4 cheese pasta", good but a little heavy. The idea is the same of Mac and chesse, but maybe a little lighter: cheese sauce and pasta.

The bread crumbs are ground fairly finely and just sprinkled on top to make a crispy crust as the dish bakes. It makes a nice contrast with the creamy, cheesy sauce.

When we put "bread crumbs" in soup, they're larger, about 1/2 inch square, and we call them croutons.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #219
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
The only pasta I buy is organic, whole grain, pasta from Italy. These are the two brands they carry at my local health food store: Bio Naturae, and Felicetti. They are both really nice tasting pasta. I cook them al dente, however long that takes.
My favorite spaghetti by far is from Trader Joe's, whole grain organic pasta. It's a little over a dollar a pound. Heck it may be made by one of the companies that you mention since it is a store brand.

I wasn't crazy about whole grain pasta until I bought this, I guess that it has improved over the years.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #220
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My favorite spaghetti by far is from Trader Joe's, whole grain organic pasta. It's a little over a dollar a pound. Heck it may be made by one of the companies that you mention since it is a store brand.

I wasn't crazy about whole grain pasta until I bought this, I guess that it has improved over the years.
When the whole grains came out, the reviews were not too great. It seems that they have fixed that grainy feeling that it had. That was the main complaint. I have never tried it. Why eat healthy now? A little too late for me. I done all the healthy stuff that I am going to do.

Tags
breaking pasta, breaking spaghetti, cooking, dried spaghetti, spaghetti