"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: Do you break your spaghetti/linguine prior to cooking?
Yes, almost always or always 27 35.06%
No, never or barely ever 41 53.25%
Less than 50% of the time 6 7.79%
More than 50% of the time 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #211
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,888
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fos87 View Post
Ah, the lira. We miss it.
What brand do you have? Are there also italian ones, like Barilla, De Cecco, Buitoni?
The only pasta I buy is organic, whole grain, pasta from Italy. These are the two brands they carry at my local health food store: Bio Naturae, and Felicetti. They are both really nice tasting pasta. I cook them al dente, however long that takes.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #212
Assistant Cook
 
Fos87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Milano
Posts: 49
I usually don't ask for a fork, but I can't use chopsticks well. Maybe I hope to learn it, but after so many years...
__________________

__________________
Fos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #213
Assistant Cook
 
Fos87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Milano
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The only pasta I buy is organic, whole grain, pasta from Italy. These are the two brands they carry at my local health food store: Bio Naturae, and Felicetti.
We usually use Barilla, that is nice tasting and doesn't cost so much, but it cracks and I don't like it. The De Cecco it's really better, but it is more expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
They are both really nice tasting pasta. I cook them al dente, however long that takes.
It should be the only way to cook it :p
__________________
Fos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #214
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
We have that same Pasta in the Ronzoni brand. I was wondering why we don't have Prince pasta here, it's what I grew up with. Remember "Wednesday, Prince Spaghetti day"? Apparently Prince and Ronzoni are the same company.
Prince restructured and bought out Ronzoni.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #215
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fos87 View Post
Do you want kill me? Better: "Vuoi che io muoro?" as says an italian comician who mimics Joe Bastianich

If I can ask, how much do you pay pasta?
We pay about $1.00 for a full pound. But at least one week a month you can get pasta for as little as $.89-$.79 a pound. The imported pasta from Italy in cellophane packaging is usually always less than $1.00 a pound for any given brand.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #216
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fos87 View Post
I like you husband!
Mac and Cheese should be a sort of timbal of pasta and cheese, isn't it?
Mac and cheese is often made with a white sauce, melted chees in it and add to al dente cooked elbow macaroni. That is the very basic simplest way to make it. The type of cheese is the cook's option. Some add toasted bread crumbs, or tomatoes, etc.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:09 AM   #217
Assistant Cook
 
Fos87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Milano
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
We pay about $1.00 for a full pound. But at least one week a month you can get pasta for as little as $.89-$.79 a pound. The imported pasta from Italy in cellophane packaging is usually always less than $1.00 a pound for any given brand.
Do you pay Barilla and other italian brands $1 for 450 gr? It's not much, considering that $1 is 0,7 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Mac and cheese is often made with a white sauce, melted chees in it and add to al dente cooked elbow macaroni. That is the very basic simplest way to make it. The type of cheese is the cook's option. Some add toasted bread crumbs, or tomatoes, etc.
Bread crumbs aren't a little too much in a plate of pasta? In my family we usually use them for the soups, in place of pasta.
My mother sometimes does "4 cheese pasta", good but a little heavy. The idea is the same of Mac and chesse, but maybe a little lighter: cheese sauce and pasta.

__________________
Fos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #218
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fos87 View Post
Bread crumbs aren't a little too much in a plate of pasta? In my family we usually use them for the soups, in place of pasta.
My mother sometimes does "4 cheese pasta", good but a little heavy. The idea is the same of Mac and chesse, but maybe a little lighter: cheese sauce and pasta.

The bread crumbs are ground fairly finely and just sprinkled on top to make a crispy crust as the dish bakes. It makes a nice contrast with the creamy, cheesy sauce.

When we put "bread crumbs" in soup, they're larger, about 1/2 inch square, and we call them croutons.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #219
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The only pasta I buy is organic, whole grain, pasta from Italy. These are the two brands they carry at my local health food store: Bio Naturae, and Felicetti. They are both really nice tasting pasta. I cook them al dente, however long that takes.
My favorite spaghetti by far is from Trader Joe's, whole grain organic pasta. It's a little over a dollar a pound. Heck it may be made by one of the companies that you mention since it is a store brand.

I wasn't crazy about whole grain pasta until I bought this, I guess that it has improved over the years.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #220
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My favorite spaghetti by far is from Trader Joe's, whole grain organic pasta. It's a little over a dollar a pound. Heck it may be made by one of the companies that you mention since it is a store brand.

I wasn't crazy about whole grain pasta until I bought this, I guess that it has improved over the years.
When the whole grains came out, the reviews were not too great. It seems that they have fixed that grainy feeling that it had. That was the main complaint. I have never tried it. Why eat healthy now? A little too late for me. I done all the healthy stuff that I am going to do.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
breaking pasta, breaking spaghetti, cooking, dried spaghetti, spaghetti

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.