Vegemite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love marmite, spread thinly on toast. But, the toast is best cold, with the butter spread after it has gone cold.. but it's really good on a home made crumpet, slathered in butter and then the thinly spread marmite.

It's also good if you toast bread one side, turn it over and smear the untoasted, warmed side with marmite and then pile on some grated cheese and grill until the cheese bubbles. YUM.:)

It would appear that my 'joke' has fallen rather flat, as someone has reported me to the Moderators about my earlier posts.... Just so the complainant knows - the caps were a joke - I have visited Australia many times, and have lots of famiily who live there.... The Aussies and the British slag one another's countries all the time - there is absolutely NO malice intended, from either side.

Bye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ishbel said:
It would appear that my 'joke' has fallen rather flat, as someone has reported me to the Moderators about my earlier posts.... Just so the complainant knows - the caps were a joke - I have visited Australia many times, and have lots of famiily who live there.... The Aussies and the British slag one another's countries all the time - there is absolutely NO malice intended, from either side.

Bye.

It is almost a cultural rule that Aussies and Poms slag each other off!! We can be quite nasty too but we all accept it as fun.

How did this turn into a Nutella thread????
I am Australian and hate Vegemite, its too salty and strong, its actually made from the waste products of beer making (or was to begin with) its an art learning how to spread it thinly, my family all eat it on a daily basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ishbel said:
It would appear that my 'joke' has fallen rather flat, .........there is absolutely NO malice intended, from either side.

Ishbel, I sincerely hope you won't leave. Sometimes we all read things differently than the writer intended them. The Internet is tough that way. I am sure if the one who was upset knew you better or could have read your facial expressions there would have been no offense taken.

We all have our "flashpoints" and I hope that we will always be able to step back and reassess and come back to our cooking home. This place would just not be the same without you all. Arguments and all.

I'm an Aussie and I'm not particularly fond of vegemite. Too salty for my taste. Marmite is VILE, more like boot-polish.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Promite. Similar sort of product, but smoother and sweeter. My eyesight is poor, or else I'd list the ingredients for you. It's suitable for vegetarians, however. It's the one I like on buttered bread.

The secret to eating these products is not to be generous with it. A simple thin scraping is enough on toast. A teaspoon or so of it will give colour when thickening stews etc and if you haven't browned the flour enough when making gravy, it will provide the colour you want without altering the flavour. You'd omit added salt, of course. Or, to be more accurate, I would.

Vegemite-flavoured cheese is a popular snack here with kids. Makes a good sandwich for school lunches.

I'm an Australian of Scottish, English, Irish, Spanish and Russian descent (probably a few more, as well!), and I don't give a carrot what jokes you come up with about me or my ancestors - most of whom were respectable, I'm led to believe. (Heck, we all started out as amoebae!) But if you can laugh at me, I can laugh at you, too. Laughing together is good for us all. Some people need to lighten up a bit.

American here. Many years ago we had fantastic Aussie neighbors whose children loved Vegemite. They gave us some to try. Blecccchhhh.

Have also tried Marmite. Blecccchhh.

The stuff is just used brewer's yeast.

Was at the Fuller's brewery tour, just outside of London, and they said they used to supply their used up yeast to the folks who make Marmite, but for some reason no longer. (They did not expound and we did not ask). By the way, as an aside, if you ever are in London the Fuller's tour is great.

We can buy Marmite in our local grocery.

OK, OK, we'll give it another try.

If we like it may even try to find some Vegemite.

Vegemite is not quite as biting as Marmite. But it is delicious on toast. But let me give you a tip, Butter the toast generously while it is hot before you add the Vegemite, The butter tones it down wonderfully.

It is basically a yeast extract, and it is murder for gout or arthritis sufferers.

Back
Top Bottom