"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-11-2015, 06:14 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Ever since I began using my waffle iron, and now my Griddler, to cook bacon I don't use a skillet any more. Some of the benefits include no splattering, I don't have to babysit the bacon, it stays flat because it is sandwiched between the plates of the appliance, and the grease flows into the catch pan.

Making breakfast that includes bacon is so easy now and doing it this way frees up a burner on the stove for other foods.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #12
Head Chef

I think the spattering may be down to the water content. I tend to buy organic dry cured bacon....not bothered about it being flat.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:13 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I think the spattering may be down to the water content. I tend to buy organic dry cured bacon....not bothered about it being flat.
And organic dry-cured bacon tastes wonderful.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:50 PM   #14
Master Chef

I like bacon!
Old 01-11-2015, 07:59 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I never thought of that, but then do your waffles taste bacon-ey, I have a couple tricks for bacon, 1- when dicing it do it in the package while its really cold, I will toss it in the freezer for a bit before I know I am going to be cutting it, I HATE CUTTING BACON, but keeping it in the package and cutting package and all makes it neat and easy. Next is how I cook it, I use a deep sheet pan {when cooking full slices}, I roll the bacon on its side and cook in the oven...
Old 01-11-2015, 09:49 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
I never thought of that, but then do your waffles taste bacon-ey, I have a couple tricks for bacon, 1- when dicing it do it in the package while its really cold, I will toss it in the freezer for a bit before I know I am going to be cutting it, I HATE CUTTING BACON, but keeping it in the package and cutting package and all makes it neat and easy. Next is how I cook it, I use a deep sheet pan {when cooking full slices}, I roll the bacon on its side and cook in the oven...
No, the waffle grids never have any trace of bacon flavor. I also "weave" bacon for BLTs. Works beautifully and I make up a package of bacon at a time and freeze the woven bacon. All we have to do is to nuke the bacon sheets for a few seconds and we're ready to munch. Here's a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 - Copy (3).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	22503  
Old 01-11-2015, 09:53 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
No, the waffle grids never have any trace of bacon flavor. I also "weave" bacon for BLTs. Works beautifully and I make up a package of bacon at a time and freeze the woven bacon. All we have to do is to nuke the bacon sheets for a few seconds and we're ready to munch. Here's a photo.
Very very nice, I wonder if that will work on my pizza screens... Im gonna give it a try, Ill just put a drip pan under them...
Old 01-11-2015, 10:47 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Tastes like ham to me.
Uh-huh. Which is why a lot of US pizza places, the meat toppings choice is listed as ...ham/canadian bacon. Like when ordering a Hawaiian pizza.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:25 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Ever since I began using my waffle iron, and now my Griddler, to cook bacon I don't use a skillet any more...
Cooking the bacon on (in?) the Griddler is pure genius, Katie! I've never thought of doing it that way. Then again, I'm one of those oddballs who likes drier, grease-less bacon. I tend to nuke mine between paper towels. I really need to try your way, especially so that I can catch the bacon grease that I do use in my cooking.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:35 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Bacon...

Tags
bacon