"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #71
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I like liver (calves liver and beef liver), but only if I cooked it (my mom's was good too). Whenever I see it at restaurants, it just doesn't look right. Many people tend to overcook it.

My husband hates liver, but he loves liver sausage (Braunschweiger) and cheese sandwiches.

Barbara

Old 09-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I dislike frozen peas. The texture is grainy. Same for Garbanzo beans, the flavor isn't good enough to overcome the gritty grainy texture.

I do however like canned peas, the smaller the better. It's just something about the frozen ones' texture.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #73
Senior Cook

I don't like brussel sprouts . . . I thought it was because I've had them boiled, but I tried roasting them, and I still don't like them.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #74
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I like liver (calves liver and beef liver), but only if I cooked it (my mom's was good too). Whenever I see it at restaurants, it just doesn't look right. Many people tend to overcook it.

My husband hates liver, but he loves liver sausage (Braunschweiger) and cheese sandwiches.

Barbara
Just please clarify for me if you will, is braunschweiger actually liver? I didn't think that it was. I actually like braunschweiger but cant stand liverwurst.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #75
Certified Pretend Chef

As far as I know, braunschweiger is a form of liverwurst. So you like some liverwursts but not all types.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #76
Executive Chef

Braunschweiger is a form of liverwurst, in a way. And yes, they are made from liver... liverwurst comes from cooked pork liver - only; Braunschweiger can contain pork, calf, veal or beef liver, or any combination of them in addition to up to 70% meat scraps.

I really like Braunschweiger sandwiches with mayo and chips on the side!!! YUMMM!!! But I have to limit this treat to about once a quarter. (Pfssss!!)
Old 09-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #77
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Yep, the Encarta Dictionary definition of Braunschweiger is "a type of spicy smoked liver sausage."

Barbara
Old 09-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #78
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
...I really like Braunschweiger sandwiches with mayo and chips on the side!!! YUMMM!!! But I have to limit this treat to about once a quarter. (Pfssss!!)
Sounds great. Now I have to pick up some supplies next trip to the market.

Oh, don't forget the pickles!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:10 PM   #79
Cupcake

I'm not crazy for pizza. I'll eat it, but generally do not like it. (Really it is more the sauce and cheese. I just do not like a lot of cheese.) I cook with whole milk, but cannot drink it. It feels like it coats my throat with fat. No surprise that I do not tend to like overly rich cream sauces either.

I love all veggies, seafood (except canned sea urchin), fruits, and meats I've tried to date. I've never had Durian. As for meats, I've also never tried tripe or sweetbreads. I just have never got up the nerve to give them a try as unfair as that seems. All other meats have been grand.

I do not like overly salty things - not even popcorn.

I don't like boiled ham. It is totally a texture thing for me.

The boxed milk is a life-saver for no-milk drinkers. It's a part of my snow emergency kit which has been pretty effective in preventing snow days. *grins*

~Kathleen
Old 09-22-2010, 01:34 AM   #80
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I like liver (calves liver and beef liver), but only if I cooked it (my mom's was good too).
I only eat liver I cook, too!