"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #31
Executive Chef

If the actual recipe is for sweet potatoes with bacon and feta (which sounds really good) I would leave out the sugar, add some green onion and serve it along side salad greens (berries optional) with almonds or sunflower seeds tossed in and a light vinegarette dressing.

The hubby and I use sweet potatoes as a starch. :)

Old 07-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Sweet Potato Fries are very popular these days. You can cut up the potatoes, coat them in olive oil, put them on a baking sheet with salt and pepper and you have sweet potato fries without deep-frying.
They sound lovely, thanks Carol

Old 08-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

I have smashed baked sweet potatoes and made a biscuit dough, then added diced ham, bacon, green onion and shredded extra sharp cheddar – then added extra water so that I had a dumpling dough, that I then dropped by the ½ teaspoon into a pot of Vegetable soup ( soup contained NO meat at all). It’s very versatile as I have also used in Pork roast soup, turkey soup, pumpkin soup, and a fish stew. lol I have also used this dough as a crust for pot pies, spicy fruit pies, and muffins as well. This is beautiful way to use holiday leftovers; fantastic as muffins to go with a pork stew. Added sugar if desired – brown or white – stay away from confectioners as this weakens the dough like you added a cup of water mid-cooking. I have replaced the water with fruit juice (apple & pineapple) during mixing for muffins, just to kick it up as a breakfast food.

Dough recipe –
3 med baked sweet potato – smashed with nothing added
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ C melted & cooled butter
¼ C milk

Just enough water to form the type of dough for the desired need (dumplings or biscuits and CHILL for use as pie crust of course :-)

Oven 350 / cook time 15 – 20 minutes for biscuits and muffins or until golden, for dumplings, just like any other dumpling.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastalover15 View Post
i was wondering what goes well with sweet potatoes - meat wise, veggie wise and cheese wise? thanks =)
I like brie with my baked-in-their-jacket sweet potatoes.

SP and butternut squash go well in soup or for a roast veg combo SPs, butternut squash, red onions, bell peppers and garlic