"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #241
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am with you Andy. The days of Julia Childs are gone. Even she would advocate using convenience foods when available.
Not true. Even though I do use pre-made and packaged goods, when possible I make things from scratch. it's a source of creativity, and boosts my self-esteem as well. Best of all, it's appreciated by those who eat it. of course there are some things I have neither the hardware, or the proper facilities to make, like artisan cheeses, or most sausages. I do make my own pate', and breakfast sausage though. I've even been known to grind my own flour, and separate it into bran, gluten, germ, and starch, and use every bit of part.

I just love the process, and what the exercises teaches me about how foods react to various techniques, and what they are made of. Equal to my love of cooking, is my love of learning, and the scientific techniques by which I can figure things out. Of course, a lot can be said for just trying new ideas, and see what the results are.

I am a certified wheel re-inventor. If I had the resources, I would design and build my own car, boat, airplane, etc. I don't so I invent recipes, and learn basic, then advanced food prep techniques.

There are those of us that just have that itch to explore, well, anything and everything. I'm one of those. It doesn't help you fit in with society, and you usually get some kind of degrading label for such behavior, especially from 5th grade to 12th grade, and often times beyond. But it's still worth it for the knowledge gained.

Yes, I'm the oddball, everywhere I go. But it's who I am, and I like being me.

Then you have kids, and get to give them more than most kids get from their parents. And to me, that's the best thing I have done in this world.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #242
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Working with phyllo takes more patience than puff pastry. It's tedious to layer it, one sheet at a time, brush with butter and repeat. My pakalva recipe calls for 40 sheets of phyllo so that's a commitment.

We don't make either phyllo or puff pastry.
I love the quote at the bottom of your posts. And yes, i want to create the universe, and then make an apple pie with the results of that creation.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #243
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
As for the black clothing, well, I like black and, trust me, the tank top I had on was barely there and I had on short-shorts. Yes, I always water early in the morning. Have to here. Our normal temps are in the low 100s so, perhaps, 90 is cool. It's hot no matter what time of the day. It was 89 when we went to bed last night, so the nights don't even cool down enough to begin a day on a pleasant note. That's just the way it is here.
Oh we have had summers like that here. Two years ago it was so hot at night that a lot of the residents were sitting outside at one in the morning. Even the AC didn't help. And then you get up in the morning to get ready for work, and you are in a major sweat by the time you go out the door.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #244
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Not true. Even though I do use pre-made and packaged goods, when possible I make things from scratch. it's a source of creativity, and boosts my self-esteem as well. Best of all, it's appreciated by those who eat it. of course there are some things I have neither the hardware, or the proper facilities to make, like artisan cheeses, or most sausages. I do make my own pate', and breakfast sausage though. I've even been known to grind my own flour, and separate it into bran, gluten, germ, and starch, and use every bit of part.

I just love the process, and what the exercises teaches me about how foods react to various techniques, and what they are made of. Equal to my love of cooking, is my love of learning, and the scientific techniques by which I can figure things out. Of course, a lot can be said for just trying new ideas, and see what the results are.

I am a certified wheel re-inventor. If I had the resources, I would design and build my own car, boat, airplane, etc. I don't so I invent recipes, and learn basic, then advanced food prep techniques.

There are those of us that just have that itch to explore, well, anything and everything. I'm one of those. It doesn't help you fit in with society, and you usually get some kind of degrading label for such behavior, especially from 5th grade to 12th grade, and often times beyond. But it's still worth it for the knowledge gained.

Then you have kids, and get to give them more than most kids get from their parents. And to me, that's the best thing I have done in this world.

I no longer have in-house family to cook for. And health reasons keep me from standing for long periods of time. When my kids were small, 99% of my cooking was from scratch. I think only milk and cheeses were not made at home. I learned to cook on a wood stove from a mother that grew up through the Depression. Any roast she made, the bone always had a second job to do. So I know about cooking from scratch. I just have no reason to do it now for just myself. I make most desserts for my kids, and that is always made from scratch. Sometimes if I am in the mood I will make noodles for scratch chicken soup. I have make puff pastry from scratch. Really not that hard to do. Just takes patience. But why should I do that now?
Old 08-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #245
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Even up here in NE I've had my hair up most of the time. Take it down to shampoo or at bedtime, pile it up in the AM.
I do the same thing, CG. My hair goes up in a clippy thing when it's hot, and when I'm at home.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #246
Executive Chef

I learned that there is a lot of evil in the world, and you never know where it will come from until it hits you in the face.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #247
Master Chef

Quote:
Not true. Even though I do use pre-made and packaged goods, when possible I make things from scratch. it's a source of creativity, and boosts my self-esteem as well...
Chief, you are true Renaissance Man, and a rarity in these times. Beats being a curmudgeon by a mile too.

I like to play in the kitchen a lot, doing a lot of "from-scratch". Unfortunately, I'd lose out to molasses in winter in a race. Explains why little more than cooking gets done around here.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:12 PM   #248
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I do the same thing, CG. My hair goes up in a clippy thing when it's hot, and when I'm at home.
+1

Same here. I hate wearing any more clothes than I must on hot, humid days.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #249
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

For financial reasons and because of my food sensitivities, I do make almost everything from scratch re: meals. However, this does not explain why my fridge is full of condiments...
Old 08-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #250
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Oh we have had summers like that here...
Addie, when we lived south of Cleveland I'd wear shorts when the temps got to the mid- or upper-60s. When we moved to MA I didn't even think of shorts until the mid-70s! IMO it's a different kind of temp in different areas of the country. And I'd much rather put up with 115 in Phoenix (been there/done that) than 90 around here. After all, it's a "dry" heat.