What is a potsticker to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're browning the pot stickers in two inches of oil, you would have to drain all the oil before you add the chicken stock or you will have a huge mess and possibly serious burns.

yea that was my concern too...

Up at the top on the blue bar, under Misc. is Ethnic Foods and all the rest of the food catagories.
I'll make a post there about pot sticker

To me, a pot sticker is that yummy thing from the chinese food place that I have no clue how they make. :)

Honestly, I didn't think you came across as belittling, but I can see how your post could be taken that way. That's one of the problems with online communication, it lacks the voice inflection and body language that helps determine the meaning and context of a statement. I think if you posted under the ethnic foods section that you're chinese and the method you were taught to make pot stickers you wouldn't get too much flack for it. At least I would hope not. Sometimes communicating through text can be tough so please don't get discouraged. I'd love to here about the traditional ethnic foods you've learned to make.

And here I thought it was a quiz...
sorry I didn't mean to quiz anybody. I just wanted to start the conversation by asking a question.. like how we do presentations lol

oh and I just posted the recipe there too

Last edited:
Hyperion said:
sorry I didn't mean to quiz anybody. I just wanted to start the conversation by asking a question.. like how we do presentations lol

Kidding! S'okay!

vitauta said:
yep. me too, and i find multiple choice quizzes irresistible. one time i took the mmpi at work just for the fun of it....:)

:ROFLMAO: Yikes! I used to administer those! 750 questions, and that was the short form! Scoring was a real pain, pre-computer...

(Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory=MMPI)

Of course, this has a lot to do with potstickers.

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO: Yikes! I used to administer those! 750 questions, and that was the short form! Scoring was a real pain, pre-computer...

(Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory=MMPI)

Of course, this has a lot to do with potstickers.

750? yeah, but it was actually only about seven questions - asked in 100 different ways. i think i missed the one about potstickers back then, too.:)

The pot stickers are in the middle, the method I was taught is to put a little oil in a frying pan, fry the bottom side only till it is crisp and golden the add some water and put a lid on the pan.When the steam stops shooting out from under the lid they are done, I love a shredded ginger and vinegar dipping sauce with them.
padeswood 228.jpg

I thought it was a dry fried dumpling, I think most asian restaurants call them gyoza?

There are lots of names for basically the same critter--meat/veggies wrapped in a wheat dough shell. Italians call them ravioli, Korea has mandu, Japanese say gyoza, Tibetans eat momo, China has potstickers (and a million other kinds!). Maybe pierogis fit in the this class, too? Some are steamed, some fried, some cooked in sauce.

I don't care what you call them, just bring me a plateful!!

There are lots of names for basically the same critter--meat/veggies wrapped in a wheat dough shell. Italians call them ravioli, Korea has mandu, Japanese say gyoza, Tibetans eat momo, China has potstickers (and a million other kinds!). Maybe pierogis fit in the this class, too? Some are steamed, some fried, some cooked in sauce.

and the polish call them pierogi lol.

The pot stickers are in the middle, the method I was taught is to put a little oil in a frying pan, fry the bottom side only till it is crisp and golden the add some water and put a lid on the pan.When the steam stops shooting out from under the lid they are done, I love a shredded ginger and vinegar dipping sauce with them.
View attachment 11609
I think the ones shown in your picture are "fried buns" which are pot stickers with leavened dough. But same technique.

latvian pirogies (which are at the top of my 5 can't live withouts) are not dumplings. they are oven baked bread rolls filled with bacon, ham, onion and black pepper.

For me, a "potsticker" is a small Chinese dumpling filled with your choice of minced or ground vegetables, meat, poultry, &/or seafood; then steamed or simmered in water & ultimately fried on the bottom (which initially makes them "stick" to the pan, thus the name "potsticker".

What I usually do is use a large deep skillet with a cover & fill it with an inch or two of water & a couple of dollops of oil which I bring to a simmer. The dumplings go in rounded-side down for a few minutes covered, then are flipped over, uncovered, & allowed to cook until the water evaporates & the dumplings' flat bottoms develop a light golden crust. (Sometimes I'll add a little more oil if necessary.)

You forgot empenada!

to everyone: sorry if I sounded like AH.. My intention is to share what I know about pot sticker, but I don't know how to do it without offending people, since I apparently offended someone by posting my pizza technique. I wish there's a sub forum where you can just post your own recipes or something, without assuming yourself an expert.

I can't wait to see how you make Chinese pizza. :LOL:

Same thing with tacos. We've got American tacos and authentic Mexican tacos. I like them both.
As for shumais and gyozas I usually have them at Japanese restaurants and they're prepared and served in the traditional manner. I don't think I've ever had them in any other variation as I never have these at home.

Last edited:
Same thing with tacos. We've got American tacos and authentic Mexican tacos. I like them both.
As for shumais and gyozas I usually have them at Japanese restaurants and they're prepared and served in the traditional manner.
the difference between shumais and dumplings in northern part of china, is that shumais filling contains rice. but apparently the cantonese shumais don't have rice in them.

Back
Top Bottom