What IS Dirty Rice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dirty rice has a far more worrying connection....

Arsenic in rice: how concerned should you be?

There are many info sources confirming this same finding.

I have stopped buying and eating rice now....no sacrifice, can't say I ever really enjoyed it anyway.

Well, there are a whole lot of foods and chemicals in our food that were supposed to be bad for you, then turned out to be okay to eat and possibly even good for you, and vice versa. So, I'll continue to eat rice on occasion, just like I eat chocolate cake and ice cream on occasion. You're link wouldn't work for me, locked up my computer actually, but How Much Arsenic Is in Your Rice - Consumer Reports says it's safe for adults to have up to 4-1/2 servings per week. Since I don't eat anywhere near that and don't even have rice weekly, think I'm safe. I enjoy rice on occasion, especially dirty rice, mushroom risotto, chicken and yellow rice, and paella and intend to continue enjoying them.

Last edited:
Well, there are a whole lot of foods and chemicals in our food that were supposed to be bad for you, then turned out to be okay to eat and possibly even good for you, and vice versa. So, I'll continue to eat rice on occasion, just like I eat chocolate cake and ice cream on occasion. You're link wouldn't work for me, locked up my computer actually, but How Much Arsenic Is in Your Rice - Consumer Reports says it's safe for adults to have up to 4-1/2 servings per week. Since I don't eat anywhere near that and don't even have rice weekly, think I'm safe. I enjoy rice on occasion, especially dirty rice, mushroom risotto, chicken and yellow rice, and paella and intend to continue enjoying them.
Yes true...moderation is fine. However, since I don't really enjoy eating rice (pretty tasteless/bland without help) then it is no sacrifice for me to forego it.

What's wrong with chocolate cake then? Saturated fats? Hardly something eaten regularly I would have thought i.e. as rice may be.

Yes true...moderation is fine. However, since I don't really enjoy eating rice (pretty tasteless/bland without help) then it is no sacrifice for me to forego it.

What's wrong with chocolate cake then? Saturated fats? Hardly something eaten regularly I would have thought i.e. as rice may be.

Haven't you seen all the studies that say breathing is bad for you!:rolleyes:

Actually no, in Paul Prudhomme's recipe, you don't add the chicken livers until the very end. You stir the chicken livers in last, turn heat to very low, let cook for 10 minutes, then remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. They aren't overcooked and don't have that sandy texture.
Hmm, I guess I never saw that particular recipe. I might give it a try.

Here's his actual recipe Taxi. I've never made it but now I might also.

Chef Paul's Recipes - Chef Paul Prudhomme

That recipe is a bit different from the one in the fairly old book we have. He didn't have you "fry" the rice and gave the spices all separate instead of using his spice blend, which is why I didn't post that link. But, since Kayelle kindly did, I also looked to find the first version and here it is http://articles.latimes.com/2009/dec/16/food/la-fo-turduckenrec16c-2009dec16 . I might try a combo of the 2 next time we make it and "fry" the rice and finish it up that way.

Be warned though, whichever version you use, you have to use a fairly heavy bottomed pan or the spice/vege mixture will stick badly and burn.

Last edited:
The arsenic is found in California grown rice, if I remember correctly. Arkansas/Missouri rice doesn't have that problem.
Sparrowgrass, I have read and admired your posts for years so please don't take offense. I thought mid-south rice, a mite south of you, was most affected because of chemicals used in cotton fields, and that California and Asian rice were not in danger, or at least, less so.
I claim no authority, just clearly remember hearing that on TV and radio.

The dirty rice we make leans to the Cajun side of LA cooking. Using chicken livers, ground pork, Cajun seasoning, the trinity, chicken or pork stock and long grain, white rice. It is a one pot dish in the fashion of jambalaya.:yum: Don't judge a dish by it's name!:rolleyes:

It does call for gizzards, but we don't like them.
Thank you, Craig, for the first informative reply to my question.

Um... yeah. You mean kind of like "bubble and squeak" or "cock-a-leekie soup" sound appetizing? :rolleyes:

Toad-in-the-hole or Spotted Dick anyone?

I don't think you Brits don't have much room to complain in this department. :LOL:
(sigh!)
Bubble and squeak - now a vegetable dish but originally, in the 19th century, was a way of using up left over roast beef and cabbage. The name comes from the sound it made in the frying pan as this extract from a poem of the time says.
"When midst the frying pan, in accents savage,
The beef so surly, quarrels with the cabbage."

Cock-a-leekie soup (originally and more correctly Cockie Leekie) - cock(ie)=cockerel (Male chicken and usually a rather elderly one) Leekie=leek, a vegetable related to the onion family. A Scottish speciality

Toad in the Hole - 18th century origins - originally any cheap meat baked in Yorkshire pudding batter but now almost always sausages. In the past it was food for the poor but none the worse for all that. Origins of name lost in the mists of time. Served with steamed green veg and onion gravy in our family.

Spotted dick - (Do grow up, children, and stop sniggering!) a pudding (or dessert to you), comprising suet pastry rolled round a filling of dried fruit (currants or sometimes raisins) and steamed in a cloth. Filling and inexpensive, depending on how many currants went in to it. "Dick" is a 19th century Yorkshire word for any sort of pudding (origins unknown) - known to any generations of schoolchildren as "dead baby".

I do hope this helps further your understanding of other nations' recipes as your answer failed to do for mine

Last edited:

Not so long ago coconut oil was the kiss of death and would fur up your arteries and give you a heart attack if it didn't do a catalogue of other bad things but it seems to have been rehabilitated as the new great hope of mankind.

Ditto butter - it's now almost good for you if you believe all you read

Conversely, fruit seems to be going the opposite way with fruit juice being the latest work of the devil (due to its sugar content)

You eat - you die
You don't - you die
Can't win really.

Last edited:
Don't play so innocent. Your "question" wasn't so much a question as much as it was a snide comment on how the name of a particular American dish sounded unappealing to your ears. Several of us merely pointed out the ridiculousness of your statement in light of a number of British foods with equally unappealing names.

Honestly, if you want to dish it out (pun intended) then I suggest you also be willing to take it. ;)

Don't play so innocent. Your "question" wasn't so much a question as much as it was a snide comment on how the name of a particular American dish sounded unappealing to your ears. Several of us merely pointed out the ridiculousness of your statement in light of a number of British foods with equally unappealing names.

Honestly, if you want to dish it out (pun intended) then I suggest you also be willing to take it. ;)
Actually, it WAS a genuine question about a dish which I have seen mentioned on here but had never heard of elsewhere. I don't need to be snide about anything.

I rather think your last sentence applies to yourself

Last edited:
(sigh!)
Bubble and squeak - now a vegetable dish but originally, in the 19th century, was a way of using up left over roast beef and cabbage. The name comes from the sound it made in the frying pan as this extract from a poem of the time says.
"When midst the frying pan, in accents savage,
The beef so surly, quarrels with the cabbage."

Cock-a-leekie soup (originally and more correctly Cockie Leekie) - cock(ie)=cockerel (Male chicken and usually a rather elderly one) Leekie=leek, a vegetable related to the onion family. A Scottish speciality

Toad in the Hole - 18th century origins - originally any cheap meat baked in Yorkshire pudding batter but now almost always sausages. In the past it was food for the poor but none the worse for all that. Origins of name lost in the mists of time. Served with steamed green veg and onion gravy in our family.

Spotted dick - (Do grow up, children, and stop sniggering!) a pudding (or dessert to you), comprising suet pastry rolled round a filling of dried fruit (currants or sometimes raisins) and steamed in a cloth. Filling and inexpensive, depending on how many currants went in to it. "Dick" is a 19th century Yorkshire word for any sort of pudding (origins unknown) - known to any generations of schoolchildren as "dead baby".

I do hope this helps further your understanding of other nations' recipes as your answer failed to do for mine
Well explained and discreetly handled! ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom