"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

What is your deal breaker, recipe wise?

When looking at a recipe what is the deal breaker that makes you stop reading and go to another recipe? For me it is :

Too many steps
Too many bowls or pans
And way too many ingredients!!!

Old 12-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Wine Guy

I find most recipes online these days, and what I generally look at first are the reviews. If there aren't any reviews at all, or if there are too many that are negative, I tend to keep looking.

If it's a weeknight, I look at a recipe more with an eye on what's already in my pantry and fridge. If I have to make a special trip or pick up more than a couple of ingredients, it will probably get passed up (though I may still bookmark it to try for a later date).

Old 12-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
  • canned soup
  • MSG
  • Soy that can't be left out (I'm not supposed to have it)
  • Sweet with a meat or vegi dish
  • Too much stuff that has to be made ahead of time
Old 12-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

It depends on the recipe.

If I'm looking for an 'authentic' recipe for a classic dish such as Boeuf Bourguignon or Fettucine Alfredo, etc., I want the recipe I choose to be as close as possible to the origins of the dish. I realize there is more than one way to make most classic dishes. I want to come close.

If I'm looking for a dinner dish, I look for a recipe with flavors SO and I will both like and that uses basic ingredients (no convenience foods as ingredients).

I often compare several recipes for a specific dish and choose one or take some of each recipe to make one I like.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I find most recipes online these days, and what I generally look at first are the reviews. If there aren't any reviews at all, or if there are too many that are negative, I tend to keep looking.
I am always looking for those five stars. Once they get down to three, I don't even look. I think I would trust a recipe from DC first. They are usually family friendly meals that have been handed down or really tested over time.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

My needs are simple, I want a picture of the finished dish. If I don't have a pic, I rarely make the dish, or I find a different version that does have a pic.
I try to follow a recipe as closely as possible, because after all, if I'm going to change a bunch of things, I'm not really following the recipe am I? If it's something I have never made before or have never seen, I need that picture to help me with consistency and such.
And as a disclaimer, I have looked at three different recipes and combined parts of all that I like, but I don't consider that following a recipe.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
Executive Chef

My first deciding factor is if msmofet is the source of the recipe. She makes the most fabulous meals and provides the clearest instruction and methods that can be used. She's a kitchen professional and one fine cook! If she were cooking for me every day, I'd look like Moby Tim, the whale man, and wouldn't be able to clear doorways!

I guess my "deal breaker" would be the degree of difficulty in making the recipe. Those that have "stir constantly for 45 minutes" are immediately discarded.

One pot dishes or slow cooker meals are my favorites. Simple to make usually and easy to clean up from.

I use the "Fasta Pasta" gadget and have to tell you all, it has impressed me in it's simplicity. For a person who cooks mostly for only myself, it's handy as can be. Veggies, taters, pasta...all done in the microwave and done very well.

Also, the Presto Pizza Pizzazz is awesome for anything that is usually put under a broiler. Using the right tool for the right job can sometimes make the job much easier.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

if i would have to make a trip to store, for ingredients,it more than likely not be made.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm with taxy on her first deal breaker: canned "cream of something" soup.

i'm not being snobbish, but i prefer to add my own cream, or milk, salt, and other ingredients.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i'm with taxy on her first deal breaker: canned "cream of something" soup.

i'm not being snobbish, but i prefer to add my own cream, or milk, salt, and other ingredients.
If you run into a recipe that calls for a can of... you don't make it at all, or you substitute your version of the creamed soup they are calling for?

Tags
recipe