"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-23-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Question What would one suggest as a side for...

Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni?

I am making half of it this morning and will make the rest when I get home at 7 tonight, hopefully my bf will get home early so we won't eat too late.

Any suggestions at all (any ingredients i can get before going to work, so it doesn't matter what I have hanging around :)), quick and fast that you would add as a side if you were to eat it and didn't have much time. (If I can't try it now, I will try it next time )

Thanks for viewing :)

Old 07-23-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
Master Chef

I would like a salad and garlic bread with a meal like that. Sure sounds good!

Old 07-23-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I would like a salad and garlic bread with a meal like that. Sure sounds good!
I agree maybe a balsamic vinaigrette and ripe tomatoes to go with the salad.Your dinner sounds delicious.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
The salad and garlic bread sound good. If you don't want to make salad, how about steamed Italian green beans with lemon butter and a little julienned lemon peel?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Thanks for the ideas! It would be better if I made it the way my mum made it, she makes it with really large pancakes, nice and thin and OMGGGGGG YUMMM!!! but i don't have time for that so i had to buy the empty pasta cannelloni and fill them instead.

Definately salad..u know what haven't had garlic bread for a while (I think we ate too much of it at one stage LOL)
Old 07-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #6
Sous Chef

OMG I'm not an Assistant Cook anymore woohoo, just noticed when I went to post to you Katie E.

You know what, beans would be good...for me.... LOL my bf has this thing about green beans, he doesn't really like many vegetables cooked at all, am trying to think of ways I can cook them that he would like.

Should try and get him to eat....broccoli LOL
Old 07-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
OK, no one shoot me for this ok? I like whole canned green beans, rinsed, doused with your favorite Italian dressing, keep in fridge for the day to marinate. It makes a great side dish served cold and you can set them on a couple leaves of lettuce and the marinade can act as a dressing for the lettuce - well, not "act" per se because it IS a dressing.

Steamed whole fresh green beans until still very cruncy - when done and dried from taking out of the ice bath - drizzle a good quality olive oil and shake quite a bit of dill weed and a bit of kosher salt and white pepper. This also makes a nice addition to a crudité platter.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:29 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom
OMG I'm not an Assistant Cook anymore woohoo, just noticed when I went to post to you Katie E.

You know what, beans would be good...for me.... LOL my bf has this thing about green beans, he doesn't really like many vegetables cooked at all, am trying to think of ways I can cook them that he would like.

Should try and get him to eat....broccoli LOL
My DH would never eat asparagus until we had a tapas dinner with friends who ordered it, pan-fried with olive oil and topped with sesame seeds. He loved it, and he also likes them roasted (at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes) with olive oil, salt and pepper, then sprinkled with lemon juice when they come out of the oven.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
OK, no one shoot me for this ok?
Old 07-24-2007, 04:49 PM   #10
Head Chef

Soup (how about ministrone), salad, bread (foccacia) & a (green) veggie.

If you have enough spinach left over, spinach salad -or saute the spinach with evoo and garlic. Serve with toasted pine nuts over the top.

Any green veggie of choice roasted w evoo and garlic or some lemon juice -- zukes, squash, brussels sprouts, eggplant.

Another zuke idea -if you have a mandolin, slice the zukes very thinly (almost spaghetti-like) and sprinkle w lemon juice, s&p -- or you can briefly saute the zuke spaghetti strands in evoo and garlic & add some lemon juiice. Lemon pepper is another suggestion.

Try a search in the veggie catagory here. And... dessert - your call.