What's the best orange for zest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i'm going to be making a lamb's neck stew for my parents this weekend, and i was wondering what type of orange is the best one to use for zest?

i would think a more aromatic one, with more citrus oil would be good. but what variety of orange would fit that description?

the stores usually stock navels, valencias, and clementines or tangerines.

Lamb stew! Yummmmy!!

Not sure which orange to use Bucky...but, have a great time with your parents!

I think a blood orange would give a very aromatic zest. You can't go wrong with naval oranges either.

While Valencia oranges are great for juicing, I prefer to use California Navals for zesting. The skin is thick and very flavorful. Just don't zest the pithe.

Ditto for Naval oranges. Our Valencias have a pretty thick skin here, but not as flavorful IMHO as a Naval.

thanks everyone, especially dq, mav, and erinny.

i used a navel!

i bought a gigantic california navel, a buck each. the zest went into my stew (awaiting my parents' review. mom called to say that they were having it tonight for dinner), and the rest of the orange went into my parrots. and i got a section :).

thanks everyone, especially dq, mav, and erinny.

i used a navel!

i bought a gigantic california navel, a buck each. the zest went into my stew (awaiting my parents' review. mom called to say that they were heving it tonight for dinner), and the rest of the orange went into my parrots. and i got a section :).

Navel oranges are what I use for zest but I couldn't tell you if that was the best choice. Sorry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom