What's zest/microplane good for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tzakiel

Cook
I see a lot of people are really happy with microplanes and I always hear how useful they are. But what exactly does it work well for? Maybe my recipe library is bland but I rarely see "zest" called for. I'm looking to make my dishes look better and more appealing but not sure where to start. Is there something that you use your microplane for a lot?

I use mine for garlic, citrus zesting, nutmeg, cheese, horsradish, ginger, carrots I can go on forever but I think you get the idea.

Welcome to DC.

There are baking recipes that require zest and marinade recipes that call for zest.

The rasp aka microplane just makes it a lot easier and faster to zest fruit than an old-fashioned grater. Also the strands are longer and it seems that I get more flavor this way.

Last edited:
I am constantly using lemon/lime zest for marinades and I dry the zest to put into spice blends.
Basicaly you can put lemon or lime zest into anything that calls for lemon or lime juice...it intesifies the flavor.

I see a lot of people are really happy with microplanes and I always hear how useful they are. But what exactly does it work well for? Maybe my recipe library is bland but I rarely see "zest" called for. I'm looking to make my dishes look better and more appealing but not sure where to start. Is there something that you use your microplane for a lot?

I also use my microplane to grate nutmeg, fresh ginger and to finely shred garlic. Have also used it to shred fresh coconut for garnish or in salads.

I made some lemon cake mix cookies last fall that were fantastic and probably because I added a quantity of freshly grated lemon zest to the dough.

Moulding, drawers, sticky doors, book shelves, jewelry boxes.....

Back to the microplane discussion! LMAO :ohmy::(:LOL:

Yup, pretty much anything I want. I like it a lot for garlic, shallots, ginger, even hot peppers. It is great for ingredients going into dipping sauces and drizzling sauces.
Sometimes I use both microplaned and chopped, especially garlic.

I use mine for grating hard cheeses (parm, etc) or zesting an orange or lemon. Its also nice to add some grated chocolate to a dish. I love my microplane!

One of mine even has a food holder, which is great for smaller items like cheese ends, garlic, veggie scraps ... even chocolate and nuts!

Lately my microplane has been good for taking off bits of my fingers... :(

My fault I know... usually it is zesting citrus, grating all manner of things, slicing as well, etc.

A word to the wise... different micro plane formats do different things. I have one of those rotary hand crank jobs. Fine for cheese and spices.... BAD for garlic...some garlic goo gets stuck to the inside chamber and beyond that the wheel just spins over the garlic. The thing is also a hassle to clean.. hard to fit a toe in there either!

I would stick with the straight file shaped grater.

Very true, I have four of them now... but no way I am letting the wife get her feet anywhere near any of them!!!! YICKKKKKKKKKKKKK

I keep my parm. cheese and ginger in the freezer as I don't use it quickly enough and it spoils. I take it out of the freezer, micro off what I need and pop it back in the freezer. My son kept admiring mine so I bought him one for Christmas. That was so he didn't slip mine into his return luggage!

I love my microplane! My favorite uses are for citrus zest, garlic, ginger and whole nutmegs

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom