"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 07-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
Ok cool thanks again both of you I will have to pick up a cookbook or see if my mom has one or a few I could have.

Chef sounds real good the idea you have there for me. We both love salads so that will be a awesome start.

I'm not sure how hard it's going to be to try to get us into a routine of eating a meal togeather though. Hopefully if I come home and cook a meal each night though things will fall into place.

xxdrippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #12
Head Chef
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
rachel is really good, however i would advise you to buy at least one cook book. betty crocker's basic cook book. it will tell you how to do some of the things , you will need to know..

simple cooking terms for instance.it is billed as "everything you need to know about cooking today. when you buy one kinda skim all the info. then pick something simple to make.

don't overwhelm your self with things that are to involved.

most of all enjoy!
I like the Betty Crocker cookbook, and/or The Joy of Cooking by Brombeck. I agree with da babe. Don't get yourself in over your head at first. I have two other rules. I would not go out and buy a lot of cooking stuff until I knew what I was going to cook, and what I was comfortable with. My basics would be a decent chefs knife, a paring knife, a good skillet, one cast iron skillet, a couple of sauce pans, a larger pot. A handful of wooden utensils, some basic metal utensils, and a cutting board, as large as possible. With these, you will be able to cook most everything, and you will know soon enough what else you want or need. And, get the best you can afford, and what feels good to you. Lastly, remember the first rule I learned when I got divorced. If you mess it up, go out to eat. You would done that anyway if you hadn't tried.

Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
Alright thanks. We are moving into our first home that we bought in september so hopefully by then I will probably end up buying most everything I need for cooking. I know I need to pick up a cutting board, some good knifes, a pan or 2 and atleast 1 large pot.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:50 PM   #14
Head Chef
If you want good, inexpensive kitchen cookware, spend a Saturday morning at yard sales. Used items are, to me, as good as new if you are buying good items. IMHO, Forschner knives are the best available for the buck, I would stay away from the sets. At SMKW, a Forschner chefs knife is abounr 30 bucks. Mine served me wall for 40 years. Bought a new Japanese set, the Forschners still sit on my counter.
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:06 PM   #15
Sous Chef
And turn off the TV. Good food and good company deserve a well-set table. Matching (yes, matching) flatware, dishes and glass. Tablecloth, maybe. Napkins. Cloth napkins. Candles at dinner, unless it's BBQ. Show your lady a side of you she may never have imagined. Good food and romance go hand in hand.
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:12 PM   #16
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Stick to salads and grilled chicken sandwiches at fast food restaurants if you do have to buy occasional food from there. At home, try preparing easy meals that don't take a lot of time and effort so you won't get discouraged. I started with these recipes: http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/30-minute-meals/ I'd prewash all veggies and fruits to keep accessible when you're going to start cooking. Also separate all meats into 2 servings before freezing so you just have to defrost a small packet. Cook with olive oil and Omega 3 margarines to stay healthy and try not to deep fry ANYTHING. Good luck.
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #17
Head Chef
I agree with Babetoo, Betty Crockers Basic Cookbook is great for beginner cooks. It's got some wonderful recipes. I bought one for my youngest daughter a couple of years ago and she loves it.
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #18
Head Chef
About the simplest meals are braised meats and veggies.

Beef roast, potatoes, carrots, onions in a pot and bake..

If you want to have meats for sandwiches instead of lunchmeat. Roast meat in the oven. I just finished up mine for next week, it's in fridge ready for slicing for my lunches.

Just pick your protein, pork, beef, chicken, turkey... season and roast in the oven. I generally start my roast very hot for a short time then turn the heat down and slow roast. Use a meat thermometer to make sure it is done but not too long.
I let mine set for 1/2 hour then vacuum bag and put in the fridge to finish cooling. It keeps the meat very moist and easily slices for sandwiches.

The easiest way to to pick your menu and be frugal. See what protein is on sale that week, day whatever. Once you pick the protein you can use any cookbook, online search etc. and find something to cook.

Just remember you don't have to be totally faithful to a recipe. You can reduce the recipes to basics.
Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:20 AM   #19
Executive Chef
Get a basics cookbook - Delia Smith has one. There are also some around designed for students that have basic easy budget food recipes. Get to know a selection of basic recipes which will give you the confidence to experiment.

You could always ask your mum if you could cook with her and learn from her.

Try the library for cookbooks you can borrow and see if they suit you before you buy.
"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." - Nelson Mandela
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:06 AM   #20
Assistant Cook
Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! I think I have some good ideas to start on a meal for tonight. If anyone else has any other tips please feel free to post I love reading from all of you thanks again such a friendly place here :).