"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #51
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I am not sure what you are looking at padams2359, but the link I provided you shows both oyster flavored sauce and oyster sauce, with the majority being oyster sauce.
Actually if you look at the back label, it says oyster flavored sauce.

Lee Kum Kee Premium Oyster Sauce 9 oz

I'm beginning to wonder if there is really even a difference...

Old 01-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #52
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsanX View Post
Actually if you look at the back label, it says oyster flavored sauce.

Lee Kum Kee Premium Oyster Sauce 9 oz

I'm beginning to wonder if there is really even a difference...
That is very odd. My picture and your picture are identical except yours does say flavored while mine does not.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #53
Senior Cook

The international import regulations may help explain the differences. I have indeed seen different labeled bottles of Soy Sauce/Oyster Sauce/Hoisin for Lee Kum Kee and Pearl River and both priced differently. I assume that in these Asian grocers, they choose to import both kinds if they can (at least in the US) because that way people can choose to purchase what they are used to and purchased while growing up. I am familiar with similar regulations for canned italian tomatoes - Pomodori di San Marzano - I know there is an import regulation where if the Italian tomato producers choose to pack the canned tomatoes in water like they do in some of their Italian local markets, here in the states, the tax rate would be so high they could not compete, so a way around them is that they pack the whole tomatoes in a tomato puree instead, which changes the applicable import tax rate. That is what you find on the shelves here, which are reasonably priced.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #54
Sous Chef

I think that as it pertains to what can be purchased in a bottle, they are the same thing. I suppose if you make your own, then it's can be true oyster sauce. When the additives and preservatives are put into the bottled product it becomes oyster flavored sauce. That's JMHO of course...
Old 01-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #55
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Do you see the brand names completely gone though or just less space taken up by them?

In most cases, brand names just have dramatically reduced shelf space and variety. I have seen a few instances where the only option was the store brand.

The stores are trying to make a buck by making it easier for the consumer to buy their product. If there are issues, the pendulum swings back in the other direction.

Uncle Bob's post about a totally private label store is a different situation. In that case, the store didn't reel in the consumer with brand names and gradually switch them over, they tried to switch them over cold turkey.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #56
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
In most cases, brand names just have dramatically reduced shelf space and variety. I have seen a few instances where the only option was the store brand. .
I bet you are referring to Stop and Shop. They are flooding the stores with their brand name products which are in most cases not that great. It ticks me off.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #57
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I bet you are referring to Stop and Shop. They are flooding the stores with their brand name products which are in most cases not that great. It ticks me off.

Actually, we do most of our shopping at the Market Basket chain. I find they have the best prices on most things (for brand names).
Old 01-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M
Uncle Bob's post about a totally private label store is a different situation. In that case, the store didn't reel in the consumer with brand names and gradually switch them over, they tried to switch them over cold turkey.
Actually, in this case there was no pretense (advertising etc.) of offering branded products...It was an attempt to offer a whole store of lower priced products to a segment of the market (low-income). The problem was "they" didn't want the Private label hot dogs...they wanted Oscar-Mayer --- They didn't want Private label Coffee..they wanted Folgers! So down the tubes it went!

I do understand the point you were making however.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
There does seem to be a trend in the industry right now to do this on some scale...To sell the consumer what THEY want YOU to buy...rather than Selling YOU what YOU want to buy...Long term "That dog want hunt"

All any of them have to sell is "Service"...."I can buy Heinz Ketchup (example) at the store two blocks down" --- Further more I drove by three stores to get to your's" That's my line/attitude towards them.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #60
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:

Jen, we do shop at S&S from time to time and we see the same thing there.

I'd be surprised if any major chain doesn't do this. I just don't know if I'm ready for Stop & Shop Oyster Flavored Sauce.