"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 11-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #111
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by angelfadedblue View Post
Ha... i used to.. way too much! After weight loss surgery, I still do, but just cant as much! perhaps now I just appreciate every bite more! :)
Whoops! Foot in mouth disease! Well, some of us are in the same boat, so we spend a bit of time just reading recipes and dreaming. Very happy for you to join us! And there are very good ideas around here for cutting back. Again, Welcome!

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:48 PM   #112
Sous Chef
Non-pro here. I work at a restaurant, but as a server, not in the kitchen. (The guys still get a little suspicious every time I ask to borrow a real knife to cut lemons instead of using the bar's silly little serrated piece of scrap metal.) I love experimenting and trying out new things (I never can seem to leave a recipe alone) but with a husband who works full time and is a full time student, myself working outside of the home, and a rambunctious 14-month-old who doesn't walk, only runs, I don't get to let loose as often as I'd like. I still cook daily, I just don't often have time for some of the things I'd like to do. If I didn't cook healthy food for myself and my family, we'd never survive our crazy schedule. I'd probably cook even more if I had an electric dishwasher, but for now I'll just deal with doing it the old-fashioned way. If nothing else, in a few more years, I'll have grown and trained myself a dishwasher.

My lack of time to experiment at home often surfaces at other times. On the rare occasions I order food at work I'm always asking "Oh, but could you try switching this for that, or adding a bit of such-and-such?" Thankfully, if you're nice to the boys, they're nice back. I learned the basics, as well as my passion for experimenting from my dear Papa (GWNorth), and have received added inspiration and knowledge from friends, family, and the restaurants I've worked at. When I'm not busy at work sometimes I just watch the guys, trying to pick up new techniques and ideas. I also finally realized in the past couple years that using a recipe doesn't make you lazy or uncreative; it makes you smart enough to learn from your predecessors.

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:08 AM   #113
Flour Child
I'm not a chef...just a
"good cooker" according to
my kids when they were little.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mrs. Doubtfire.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	8874  

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #114
Senior Cook
Hahaha! ^
You can forget what a person looks like, and you can forget what they say. But you will never forget how they made you feel.
Poppi G. Koullias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #115
Assistant Cook
Send a message via AIM to Furrbrain Send a message via Yahoo to Furrbrain Send a message via Skype™ to Furrbrain
Definitely a cooking junkie! Love to get creative at home with the pantry, stove and chef knife. No complaints, so I guess I'm pretty good!!
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
Furrbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #116
Master Chef
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I am into food. Have been gardening organically since 1976, love to cook and bake, have an associates degree in dietetics, love to read cookbooks and create recipes based on what foodstuffs I have. I have raised dairy goats for decades and make cheese, ice cream, yogurt, buttermilk, etc. Like I said, I am into food..
great minds think alike :) my Pap showed me the !! of a fresh scallion, a fried or fresh tomato; sprinkle of salt & very delicate pepper, buttered bread, that's lunch! i've delved into reading into various items, cheeses & that. also i'm pursuing being a dietician, too!
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #117
Master Chef
Pretender here.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:44 AM   #118
Executive Chef
I became a certified cook in '94. I never learned my chops from an institute. I apprenticed for years in kitchens and then wrote my exam with the Provincial Board of Trades. I had been cooking for a while by then and was operating my own restaurant at the time, so I was just curious if I could achieve it. I'm basically a self taught hash slinger...
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #119
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by gracewriter View Post
God forbid I get a bigger kitchen I'd have to go out and spend major bucks on stuff to fill it. It's just my nature and I've got a wish list a mile long.
OK who am I kidding, I'd give my husband's left arm to have one twice as big.
Yeah, My fiancee and I have a huge stack in the basement and in her room in her parents house of kitchen appliances for when we move out and every house we look at, the first thing she shows me is the picture of the kitchen. She want's to make sure we have a big enough one for me to be comfortable in. lol!
Mechanical engineers build weapons -- Civil engineers build targets.

Life is an incessant series of problems... all difficult, with brutally limited choices - and a time limit. -Chapel the Evergreen (Trigun)
Secundinius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #120
Master Chef
After all, the kitchen IS the most important room of any home.

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote