"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #41
Assistant Cook

Location: I live right smack-dab in the middle of cajun country in South Louisiana.
I'm a professional, but only in my own mind

Old 07-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #42
Assistant Cook

I'm new to this forum so, Hello everyone!
I'm not a pro now, due to disability. However I have done a couple of years in a steakhouse and another three in a Chinese restaurant/Takeaway. I was taught in a college in London. Now I just cook for my children and dabble in home made cheeses.
You want to be careful how you ask a question like this IMHO. Any burger flipper could call themselves a pro if you mean getting payed for your cooking.

Larry

Old 07-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #43
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrystein View Post
I'm new to this forum so, Hello everyone!
I'm not a pro now, due to disability. However I have done a couple of years in a steakhouse and another three in a Chinese restaurant/Takeaway. I was taught in a college in London. Now I just cook for my children and dabble in home made cheeses.
You want to be careful how you ask a question like this IMHO. Any burger flipper could call themselves a pro if you mean getting payed for your cooking.

Larry
I think the real pro's will know But I get your point. I, like Puppy Breath ... am a legend in my own mind
Old 07-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #44
Head Chef

Not a pro but if there was another life and chance I would go to CIA. I have a good job now and stable life so I don't want to start from ground zero again. My uncle is a chef and I lived with my aunt and uncle for several years and learned a great deal just watching him cook.

I work in a die hard technical field and don't consider myself to be creative. I do however change colors when I am in the kitchen. That's the place where my creativity takes over and I am truly happy.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:30 PM   #45
Sous Chef

You know Yakuta my hubs is the same way. His is a technical filed as well and he loves the outlet of cooking and creating in the kitchen.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #46
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta View Post
Not a pro but if there was another life and chance I would go to CIA. I have a good job now and stable life so I don't want to start from ground zero again. My uncle is a chef and I lived with my aunt and uncle for several years and learned a great deal just watching him cook.

I work in a die hard technical field and don't consider myself to be creative. I do however change colors when I am in the kitchen. That's the place where my creativity takes over and I am truly happy.
Wow, it's like looking in the mirror.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #47
Head Chef

I just have OCD(Obsessive Cooking Disorder).LOL
I have never wanted to be a chef for a few reasons:
I want to cook, what, when and how I want to.
I like "Home cooking", not some small amount of food piled on top of each other on the center of the plate surrounded by colorful sticky gunk and herbs in some artistic way. To me that is not a Chef, but a Artist.
I hope I have not insulted anyone. That is just how I feel about the subject.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:25 PM   #48
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
I am a software tester for a bank during the week, and do kosher catering on the side on weekends. I do minimal cooking in my catering mosty order the food from other vendors and do the presentation. I learned to cook from my mother as my parents were always en tertaining and learned about the food business from my father who is VP or a frozen food company. I would not call myself a pro, but I do a good job of pretending.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #49
Certified Cake Maniac

To be honest I don't like the terms "professional" and "chef" - for myself, personally, even though I qualify for both. And yet I really respect other chefs and professional cooks.

To me, cooking is all about passion. I have seen seasoned chefs who totally lack it and home or hobby cooks who exude passion in everything they make. I am totally grateful for the training and experience I have....but I feel my best teacher was my Mother who taught herself to cook and was happiest preparing a large meal for family and friends! To me, she was a real pro!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #50
Head Chef

Really well stated LPBeier. It's all about passion and yes training helps but is not everything. I started cooking when I was only 12 years old and I learned how to make fresh roti bread and simple but good food from scratch from my grandmother. She did not have any culinary training but she could knead all types of dough and make bread from it including millet (if you have ever handled it you know it's darn hard to knead and even harder to roll). She had food mill to pulp tomatoes that I helped her with, we brought our own wheat, cleaned it and then took it to the mill to get fresh wheat flour and she loved to feed us fresh good food, it was her passion.