"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Whole Chicken In A Slow Cooker

I was hoping someone could help me with cooking a whole chicken in a slow cooker...how do I know how many hours it needs to be in there? I have never done it and I really wanna start using my slow cooker more!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't have a slow cooker but if you type the title of your post into Google, you'll get what you need.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Usually on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

got into a big discussion with abel last night. we were discussing the many way of cooking chicken, to use in tamales. he says boil breasts , i say whole chicken roasted in oven. now that i think about it crock pot would certainly work.

in my opinion a store bought roasted whole chicken would work as well. comments?

i think boiling will make it to tough and dry. anyway we will do it my way, was there ever any doubt. lol
Old 01-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
got into a big discussion with abel last night. we were discussing the many way of cooking chicken, to use in tamales. he says boil breasts , i say whole chicken roasted in oven. now that i think about it crock pot would certainly work.

in my opinion a store bought roasted whole chicken would work as well. comments?

i think boiling will make it to tough and dry. anyway we will do it my way, was there ever any doubt. lol
Babe,
I don't make tamales, tho I want to, but I do, make enchilladas and I cook any meat I use in them in my crock pot I don't add seasoning til about an hour before I make them up but it's a wonderful way to get the meat cooked and it's still nice and moist.
kades
Old 01-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

The slow cooker is a great tool. Come home to the smells of home cooking and take advantage of using cheaper cuts of meat with fall-apart tender results.

There are pros and cons to each of these methods. Oven roasting is the best flavor-wise, but it takes time. Good for the weekend, not so much for a work night.

Buying pre-cooked chicken at the store is convenient but expensive and have you checked out the ingredient list?

With crock pot chicken you can get it on sale, throw it in and let the crock pot do the work. You won't get the awesome skin you would with roasted; but it will be good.

Roasted Chicken - crock pot

3-4 lb whole chicken, giblets removed
Salt
Pepper
Butter
Basil, tarragon, thyme, sage, garlic

Wash chicken thoroughly, pat dry. Sprinkle inside and out with salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker. Dot with butter; sprinkle with herbs of choice.
Cover. Cook on high 1 hour; then low for 8 - 10 hours.

Megan's Notes: you can stuff the insides with lemon and onion wedges for added flavor and use lemon-pepper on the outside.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Babe,
I don't make tamales, tho I want to, but I do, make enchilladas and I cook any meat I use in them in my crock pot I don't add seasoning til about an hour before I make them up but it's a wonderful way to get the meat cooked and it's still nice and moist.
kades

got my pot this week, so we will get started next week after a shopping trip for supplies, ie husks etc. we will make pork and chicken tamales. will let u know results. the piggy is me. lol
Old 01-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

If you have a wire rack that fits in your slow cooker, be sure to use it. Otherwise, ball up tin foil and put that in the bottom of the cooker. You could also use chunks of potatoes/carrots and place the chicken on that. Putting it directly on the bottom of the pot makes the bottom kinda nasty- imo.

Be sure to check the temp before eating it. Each slow cooker is different, so until you have a better idea how fast yours cooks- check temps :D
Lover of all things cooking and baking....well, except maybe clean up
SugarMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by recipedirect View Post
Usually on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Yes, chicken is cooked on low setting for 8 hours, or 4 hours on high setting, and here's the recipe I usually make, you might want to try it. See the recipe here
Old 01-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookLikeJulia View Post
Yes, chicken is cooked on low setting for 8 hours, or 4 hours on high setting, and here's the recipe I usually make, you might want to try it. See the recipe here
Have YOU ever done this? And it's not overcooked? I'd think by 8 hours at any temperature that a chicken from the supermarket would be stringy and dry and tough. No chicken recipe (maybe an old rooster) I've ever seen, heard of, tasted takes 8 hours to cook!