"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-30-2005, 10:07 PM   #1

Question Whole Foods Market

Our first one opening in late July. I've shopped at a couple in New Orleans and Houston, but having one a few miles from the house will be such a different story.

I've heard the 365 products are awesome. What do you recommend ... what should I avoid?

Old 04-30-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I am jealous. Our closest one is 30 minutes away. I love their produce and meats and fish. Fantastic stuff. It is expensive, but so good.

Old 04-30-2005, 11:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I am jealous. Our closest one is 30 minutes away. I love their produce and meats and fish. Fantastic stuff. It is expensive, but so good.
I can tell you live in the northeast. 30 minutes is nothing when you live down here! Bet you have a Trader Joe's nearby. I would much rather that then WF, but I'll settle for what I can get.

BTW, I peeked at some of your photos. Nice shots of Ogunquit! We spent a few days there about 5 years ago when one of dh's nieces had her wedding (anniversary) reception at a local facility. We stayed at the Nellie Littlefield House. It was a great trip. Loved walking the Marginal Way, visiting local art galleries, and spending time with dh's parents who we drove up from Belmont, MA. Last really good visit before FIL passed away.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:34 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Ogunquit is one of our favorite places to go during the summer. The Marginal Way is so beautiful. That is where most of the flower pictures were taken. Thanks for checking them out
Old 05-01-2005, 12:02 AM   #5
Hospitality Queen

I feel guilty -
Trader Joes is about 3-4 miles away and whole foods is about a 20 minute drive.

I do love their 365 stuff - one of my faves is their blue cheese crumbles - it is heavenly.

They also have such a neat selection of "bin" goodies, such as dried fruits, vanilla soy protein powder, millet seed (my parakeets love the stuff!) and yummy cereals. I am just floored at how inexpensive some of their stuff is for the quality.
They have lovely foods already prepared as well - you must try those!
I've noticed a very nice fresh seafood area, but since I don't eat any of it, I've stayed away.
But, they have this rootbeer and cream soda- shoot - I forgot the name, but it looks like it's in little kegs (well not too little, maybe 12-15 inches high. Anyway, the rootbeer is quite tangy and good!
Old 05-01-2005, 12:21 AM   #6

"rootbeer and cream soda" ... sounds like it's on tap. Wonder if it's a regional thing?

No seafood? I would die! Are you allergic?
Old 05-01-2005, 05:41 AM   #7
Executive Chef

My daughter lived in California for a few years and we always went to Trader Joe's when I went out. Also, she would send me boxes of stuff but I certainly miss being able to shop for all the goodies I don't find often.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:42 AM   #8
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanArt
"rootbeer and cream soda" ... sounds like it's on tap. Wonder if it's a regional thing?

No seafood? I would die! Are you allergic?
I believe I have some type of shellfish allergy, but to be honest, I find the smell of all seafood to be rather offensive. Growing up on the beach, we had a neighbor who would bring us the day's catch regularly. Apparently my mom cooks it beautifully, but, ugh... I'd rather go out and eat mud from the garden.

as for the sodas (now there's a yummy thought), they aren't WF brand, but they're sold in little kegs. Quite often they'll have little cups so you can taste 'em.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:39 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Whole Foods has some really good prepared foods and sandwiches. (I love their soups too) So it's a great place to stop by for lunch or if you're too lazy to make dinner.

I notice that their produce is generally much better than our local supermarket. It is pricey, but that's what you get for organic. It's either Whole Foods or the Farmer's Market for us. Trader Joes doesn't seem to have a huge selection in produce and meats. I usually go there for vitamin water and maybe some desserts. Mmm... mudd pie...
Old 05-02-2005, 07:16 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I love WF produce, meats and fish, and their ready-mades look awesome; maybe it was just us, but my hubbie has gotten sick 3 times after eating one of the ready-made dishes; 2 different soups, and 1 cabbage salad (and another friend got sick at the same time after eating it). So - I think I'm going to have a chat with the food manager peeps at our WF - and, unfortunately we won't be partaking of their ready mades.

Oh - and just remembered this; bought a little of their ground beef, which looked beautifully pink; got it home, and it was obviously a 'layer' of fresh red meat wrapped around some rather brown, older lookng stuff. It wasn't bad, just looked gross. And made me think twice about their 'integrity'.