Whole Foods Market

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HanArt

Washing Up
Our first one opening in late July. I've shopped at a couple in New Orleans and Houston, but having one a few miles from the house will be such a different story.

I've heard the 365 products are awesome. What do you recommend ... what should I avoid?

I am jealous. Our closest one is 30 minutes away. I love their produce and meats and fish. Fantastic stuff. It is expensive, but so good.

GB said:
I am jealous. Our closest one is 30 minutes away. I love their produce and meats and fish. Fantastic stuff. It is expensive, but so good.

I can tell you live in the northeast. :LOL: 30 minutes is nothing when you live down here! Bet you have a Trader Joe's nearby. I would much rather that then WF, but I'll settle for what I can get.

BTW, I peeked at some of your photos. Nice shots of Ogunquit! We spent a few days there about 5 years ago when one of dh's nieces had her wedding (anniversary) reception at a local facility. We stayed at the Nellie Littlefield House. It was a great trip. Loved walking the Marginal Way, visiting local art galleries, and spending time with dh's parents who we drove up from Belmont, MA. Last really good visit before FIL passed away.

Ogunquit is one of our favorite places to go during the summer. The Marginal Way is so beautiful. That is where most of the flower pictures were taken. Thanks for checking them out :)

I feel guilty -
Trader Joes is about 3-4 miles away and whole foods is about a 20 minute drive.

I do love their 365 stuff - one of my faves is their blue cheese crumbles - it is heavenly.

They also have such a neat selection of "bin" goodies, such as dried fruits, vanilla soy protein powder, millet seed (my parakeets love the stuff!) and yummy cereals. I am just floored at how inexpensive some of their stuff is for the quality.
They have lovely foods already prepared as well - you must try those!
I've noticed a very nice fresh seafood area, but since I don't eat any of it, I've stayed away.
But, they have this rootbeer and cream soda- shoot - I forgot the name, but it looks like it's in little kegs (well not too little, maybe 12-15 inches high. Anyway, the rootbeer is quite tangy and good!

"rootbeer and cream soda" ... sounds like it's on tap. Wonder if it's a regional thing?

No seafood? I would die! Are you allergic?

My daughter lived in California for a few years and we always went to Trader Joe's when I went out. Also, she would send me boxes of stuff but I certainly miss being able to shop for all the goodies I don't find often.

HanArt said:
"rootbeer and cream soda" ... sounds like it's on tap. Wonder if it's a regional thing?

No seafood? I would die! Are you allergic?

I believe I have some type of shellfish allergy, but to be honest, I find the smell of all seafood to be rather offensive. Growing up on the beach, we had a neighbor who would bring us the day's catch regularly. Apparently my mom cooks it beautifully, but, ugh... I'd rather go out and eat mud from the garden.

as for the sodas (now there's a yummy thought), they aren't WF brand, but they're sold in little kegs. Quite often they'll have little cups so you can taste 'em.

Whole Foods has some really good prepared foods and sandwiches. (I love their soups too) So it's a great place to stop by for lunch or if you're too lazy to make dinner.

I notice that their produce is generally much better than our local supermarket. It is pricey, but that's what you get for organic. It's either Whole Foods or the Farmer's Market for us. Trader Joes doesn't seem to have a huge selection in produce and meats. I usually go there for vitamin water and maybe some desserts. Mmm... mudd pie...

I love WF produce, meats and fish, and their ready-mades look awesome; maybe it was just us, but my hubbie has gotten sick 3 times after eating one of the ready-made dishes; 2 different soups, and 1 cabbage salad (and another friend got sick at the same time after eating it). So - I think I'm going to have a chat with the food manager peeps at our WF - and, unfortunately we won't be partaking of their ready mades.

Oh - and just remembered this; bought a little of their ground beef, which looked beautifully pink; got it home, and it was obviously a 'layer' of fresh red meat wrapped around some rather brown, older lookng stuff. It wasn't bad, just looked gross. And made me think twice about their 'integrity'. :angry:

marmalady said:
I love WF produce, meats and fish, and their ready-mades look awesome; maybe it was just us, but my hubbie has gotten sick 3 times after eating one of the ready-made dishes; 2 different soups, and 1 cabbage salad (and another friend got sick at the same time after eating it). So - I think I'm going to have a chat with the food manager peeps at our WF - and, unfortunately we won't be partaking of their ready mades.

Sometimes it really depends on the store. The one by my aunt's house is much better than the one in our area. My coworker got really sick one night after eating some deli meat from Whole Foods. She went in late, around 8pm and I guess the food should have been packed away but she was starving and ate a huge portion. It made her so ill she passed out completely that night from being sick.

The pre-made food is good, but maybe it's because it's all organic, it spoils very quickly. They had this great pasta salad, and it tasted fine at lunch, but a couple of hours later (I know I should have put it away) it was already spoiled.

:) I am so envious I live 4 hours from the nearest WF which is in Santa Fe ,NM .When I finaly get there which is about 4 hours drive one way I stock up on non perishables and meats etc that I can freeze.They just opened a Trader Joes also I cant wait to go, plus I spend at least two days there with my girlfriends to take advantage and have a good time in Santa Fe.SF also has a Wild Oats store gonna hafto hit them all.

I went up to Michigan last summer to visit my brothers and my oldest brother and his partner took me to Whole Foods. I loved that store. I was amazed at the amount of samples available. I tried things I'd never tried before. Our closest one is in Indianapolis so next time I'm around that area I do plan to stop in.

SizzlininIN said:
I went up to Michigan last summer to visit my brothers and my oldest brother and his partner took me to Whole Foods. I loved that store. I was amazed at the amount of samples available. I tried things I'd never tried before. Our closest one is in Indianapolis so next time I'm around that area I do plan to stop in.

Don't forget to stop by Trader Joe's too! :cool:

They took me in there too.............it was really fun to look at the different ingredients available at both stores vs. what we have in our small town or the towns that surround us.

never been to a trader joe's. i wonder if there's one near me, in nyc or northern nj?

i can walk up the block from work to one whole foods, or drive to 2 more on my way home, maybe 15 or 20 minutes out of my way. of all the meats and fishes i bought from wf, i have found that meat from costco and fish from a local monger is just as good and much less expensive than wf. my neighbor is a butcher at a costco, and says the reason why their food is so good is the turnover. they sell tons of meat, so what is on the shelves hasn't been there very long, or in a freezer in the back.
when it comes to fish, it's all about freshness, so local mongers usually have a smaller and fresher selection. wf is good, but you pay for the supposed guarantee that it's the best around.
the main things i go to wf for now are specialty breads, soups, and desserts.

bucky:

The trader Joe's website lists these location in NEW JERSEY

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Florham Park[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Westfield[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Marlton[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Westwood[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Wayne[/font]

We have a WF about an hour away but have not been there yet. I believe it's the only one on the west coast of Florida. There are no Trader Joe's in Florida. You all have convince me. I have to go to WF soon.

All this talk about WF got me curious - I've never heard of one around here ... but went to their website and found out there is one just over 20 miles away ... just down the street from where I used to live in Arlington a few years ago. Humm ... guess I'll have to add checking it out to my todo list.

Back
Top Bottom