"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #11
Senior Cook

In reply to Puffin 3.

Anchovies are very popular on the Italian Riviera - there is a kind of pizza which consists of a very thick tomato sauce - almost a paste - spread on a rectangle of pizza dough, with anchovies criss-crossed on top, locally grown dark Taggiasca olives, and fresh garlic cloves. I've never come across an ordinary tomato sauce that had anchovies in it anywhere other than the Riviera, where Sanremo is. It's called 'La Sardenaiara', and it's a classic from round there. In the olden days the fishermen's wives would set off north with a cartload of salted anchovies, which are still to this day quite extensively used in Piedmont, to the north of the Riviera.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Old 01-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Here is an easy solution to your problem:

ARTISAN NO-KNEAD PIZZA CRUST

When I was a kid, it seemed we always had pizza on Friday nights, and in the dark ages, Catholics weren't allowed to eat meat on Fridays. We also made pizzas on Christmas Eve, and you couldn't eat meat on Christmas Eve if you wanted to take communion at midnight mass. So until I got out and about on my own as a teenager, I didn't know anything else came on a pizza. I do still love my anchovy pizza, but I also like pepperoni and/or Italian sausage.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:44 AM   #13
Cook

Great tips all, Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
In reply to Puffin 3.

Anchovies are very popular on the Italian Riviera - there is a kind of pizza which consists of a very thick tomato sauce - almost a paste - spread on a rectangle of pizza dough, with anchovies criss-crossed on top, locally grown dark Taggiasca olives, and fresh garlic cloves. I've never come across an ordinary tomato sauce that had anchovies in it anywhere other than the Riviera, where Sanremo is. It's called 'La Sardenaiara', and it's a classic from round there. In the olden days the fishermen's wives would set off north with a cartload of salted anchovies, which are still to this day quite extensively used in Piedmont, to the north of the Riviera.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
I had some of the best meals of my life in Sanremo homes and restaurants.
An all time favorite was when the fishermen would bring hundreds of little sardines to the beach. They'd set up fires with big pots of boiling oil, shake the sardines in flour and deep fry them whole. Then using a 'spider' they'd scoop some out and put them on a piece of newspaper then add seasoning.
Dozens of locals would take them home for lunch. We ate them like you would fries.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:19 PM   #15
Senior Cook

i was watching Undercover Boss -- where the CEO of Marco's Pizza goes undercover. He was being trained by a young lady who's worked there for years. She sort of took the dough ball and then threw it from one arm to another and then did a circular toss a few feet into the air. Or she may have done the toss first and then the arm to arm thing. I am not sure.

I make dough in the bread machine, and I usually just push it down into the pan and try to spread it out. Today I tried her arm to arm technique and it worked! The dough spread out nicely. Made it go faster.

Tags
dough, pizza