"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
"why they even make cooking wine" Probably it's the stuff that doesn't turn out to expectations. I don't suppose they actually intend to make it. Or perhaps it's the cheap sort you buy in plastic bottles in French hypermarches (which can be pretty dire). There are always people out to make a fast buck.
As someone said earlier, it's a holdover from the Prohibition era in the U.S. Salt was added to make it unpalatable to drink. I don't know why they continue to make it.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
In PA, wine cannot be bought in a grocery store. For a while the LCB had kiosks in grocery stores, but they did away with that, at least in my area. They are starting to sell beer in grocery stores, but not many.

I don't know much about wine and usually only buy it around the holidays. My guests let me know which ones are good by how quickly the bottle is emptied. Then I know that's a good one to buy again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
From what I've heard, most states in the US have gone to private liquor sales. It's been a political battle in PA for years and years.
Since I've been of legal age, I've lived in 3 locales - Montana, Colorado, and the Bahamas.

In Montana you could get beer in the grocery store, and package liquor and wine at the package counter in most bars. The only liquor stores were state owned and operated, and they were only open 8-5 Mon-Fri (I moved away in 1973, so it may have changed since then). We bought most of our package liquor in bars.

In Colorado, again only 3.2 beer is sold in grocery stores. All package liquor and wine and stronger beers must be purchased in licensed privately owned liquor stores. No takeout at all from bars. There have been attempts to get wine into the grocery stores, but no success so far. A few years ago they did change the law so that the liquor stores can be open on Sunday.

Here in the Bahamas, even beer must be purchased in liquor stores. You can get beer to go from bars, but you will pay a premium for it. It's also the only place where I've ever seen individual cigarettes sold in bars. I think from what I've observed that it's about 3 for a dollar, or about $6.66 a pack.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post

"In PA, wine cannot be bought in a grocery store" - probably a good thing in some ways if buying alcohol is made more difficult.
In PA, it's ridiculous. You have to go to a warehouse and buy beer or wine by the case, or buy it at a bar or restaurant to go and pay their mark-up. I've never heard of that in any other state.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

In PA, it's ridiculous. You have to go to a warehouse and buy beer or wine by the case, or buy it at a bar or restaurant to go and pay their mark-up. I've never heard of that in any other state.
+1. When we visit the inlaws, we have to go to the beer store to buy beer, and the liquor store to buy whatever. They're not close to each other. Same thing in Ontario. PITB.

In Mexico, you can buy booze in the grocery stores, but they shut off liquor sales at 2 pm on Sundays, and before and during any major storms or elections. Just when they need it most!
Old 12-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
As someone said earlier, it's a holdover from the Prohibition era in the U.S. Salt was added to make it unpalatable to drink. I don't know why they continue to make it.
We never had prohibition but little bottles came on the market over here in the seventies when cooking with wine first became trendy. (I think it was in the days when people were only just starting to drink wine and thought it was extravagant to waste wine on cooking!) They were marketed by the firm who made things like Oxo cubes (an early form of stock cube) and bottled sauces. I thought they'd disappeared from the shelves until I spotted some a few weeks ago.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Mrs Hoot lived in PA for nineteen years. We still travel there now and then, although since her sisters moved off of the main thoroughfare in Mechanicsburg, Jubilee Day just ain't the same. They do have some very odd laws about alcohol sales.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Alongside my olive oil, canola oil, and grape seed oil, you will see two bottles of wine. A red and a white. I use wine bottles to display and pour oils. I use the liquor dispensing tips.
My wife loves good wine. She never drinks all of it, so it goes to the kitchen counter where I will use it.
I too frown on opening a new bottle of wine for a dish. But will do it, if I have too. But I will always call her first to see which one to open!
Old 12-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Alongside my olive oil, canola oil, and grape seed oil, you will see two bottles of wine. A red and a white. I use wine bottles to display and pour oils. I use the liquor dispensing tips.
My wife loves good wine. She never drinks all of it, so it goes to the kitchen counter where I will use it.
I too frown on opening a new bottle of wine for a dish. But will do it, if I have too. But I will always call her first to see which one to open!
Don't you live with your wife, or is your house so big you have to call her to talk to her.

Nevermind, that's none of my business!!
Old 12-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:

Pac, we can buy wine by the bottle in a State Liquor Store. A case would last me 20 years!! LOL

They say they want control so they can limit underage drinking, but the kids just get someone to go in and buy the alcohol for them.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I thought salt in the cooking wine came from an era of servants, so the cook wouldn't drink the cooking wine or cooking sherry.

OTH, salt is a preservative and apparently the wine doesn't go off.

Tags
recipe, wine