"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-14-2016, 10:07 AM   #51
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandjy View Post
Yes, I do agree with di reston. Most of the time, me and my husband bought 1 or 2 bottles at high prices but never drink them for dinner, we keep them for celebrations instead though I am always a bit frustrated when we came to open the bottle...
As far as preferences are concerned, I rarely bought white wine since I prefer the red ones, they are more flavorful. My favourite pairing remains a good merlot or a pinot noir with pork, the taste is heavenly amazing.
I understand what you mean Kandjy though no one forced you into buying the bottles. Instead of being frustrated, you should have been proud of yourself since there are people who can't afford such wines. Another tips, you can keep the bottle once empty, just to show you owned it. As steve said above, it is much a matter of prestige of "owning a piece of history" like a château haut brion wines I bought from Delices and Gourmandises and a cabernet sauvigon based wine Chateau Latour from Millesima few months ago. Though I wish had not open and drink the bottles, we emptied them 3 or 4 weeks after their delivery and up to now I keep the bottles on a big shelf in the lounge. I can see the eyes of some wine geek friends and wine lovers in my family shining when they come to look at them.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #52
Assistant Cook

Hi guys,

I think this statement from Dawglover sums it up quite easily. In general, the "rules" pair red wine with red meat and white wine with poultry or fish. That said, we serve both and drink whatever we please!

Old 10-24-2016, 06:59 PM   #53
Senior Cook

I usually only pair a wine with food if tasked to do so by a client. For the most part I drink dry reds with everything.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #54
Assistant Cook

I read a nice article from Delices and Gourmandises website one day which talks about wine and food pairing. It was a nice read and I learned something. I can't find the article now but I will share some tips on here If I happen to find it again.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #55
Wine Guy

Rather than using color as a guide when pairing wine with food, a basic rule of thumb for me is to match the weight of the wine to the heaviness/lightness of the dish I'm serving. When I say "weight," I'm referring to body. And most of the time I stick with drier wines.

For instance, with beef or game, I'll typically serve a hearty, full-bodied red like Cabernet Sauvignon or Syrah. Either of these wines will stand up to the strong flavors of the meat.

Just a step down on the heaviness scale, you have foods like barbecue ribs or sausages. Zinfandel (aka Primitivo), Tempranillo, and Cab Franc are great with these.

For somewhat lighter fare, such as chicken, pork, or duck I prefer lighter wines such as Pinot Noir, Barbera, Grenache, or Chardonnay (which is usually a heavier bodied white).

For delicately flavored food, including fish or cheese dishes, I usually try to stick to something on the lighter side, such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Gris. Even sparking wine pairs well.

These rules work fairly well for about 75% of the foods I eat.

Some foods will throw these rules for a loop, though. For example, Asian foods have a tendency to be lighter, but often have strong flavors from the spices used. With these types of foods, I've found slightly sweeter wines have a tendency to pair better. Riesling or Moscato/Muscat with Asian foods is often a safe bet.

And with Indian food, I'll almost always reach for a beer over wine. It's a match made in Heaven.

Tags
food, wine