Aged Garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay. So the titration percentage is the percentage of acid the vinegar would be if all the acid was whatever standard acid was assumed. Kind of like knowing how much wood a wood chuck chucks based on the assumption that it's indeed a wood chuck chucking wood. A reasonable measure, if you know what its limitations.

(Or the version I would sometimes insert in a math test:

If a chicken and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half, how long would it take a three-legged grasshopper to kick all the seeds out of a watermelon?)

I really hate story problems....:angel:

...If a chicken and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half, how long would it take a three-legged grasshopper to kick all the seeds out of a watermelon?)

Ooo, Oooo! I know this one!!

The answer is Wednesday!

Have you explored acitity enough to help answer something? Am I right that titration percentage expresses the amount of glacial acetic acid in the solution and that pH expresses the overall acidity of the solution. So since with vinegar, we're always talking about acetic acid, is there a simple table of equivalent between percentage and pH for vinegar (and presumably for any acetic acid solution), ignoring the effects of other components in some vinegars. But I don't find such a table. Am I missing something?

Huh? for us regular folks.

I, too, was surprised by the rice vinegar. It just doesn't seem that strong from casual experience using it, and it's significantly stronger, considering the exponential definition of pH. I wonder how much effect on our perception of acidity is from other components. I would guess red wine vinegar would have its share of tannins, just as the wine does. Tannin's astringent, sourness, pucker factor, or whatever isn't too far from the sensation of acidity. Rice wine won't have any, of course.

I prefer rice over others due to it tasting less strong. But the Marakan(?) says it has been diluted with water.

But then I am not a fan of vinegar either

Back
Top Bottom