"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 09-11-2005, 03:11 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Unhappy Artichokes

The other day I saw some artichokes in the supermarket and remembered I loved eating them as a child. I bought two and cookied them in boling water. But I think I overcooked them because they were all soggy. Does anyone know for how long I should boil artichokes for? And is there a technique for taking the heart out? There is a kind of fur that covers it and I really fought with it to get it out of the way.

Thanx
Paolita

Old 09-11-2005, 03:15 PM   #2
Master Chef

I tried to make these one time and that was enough for me. They stunk up my house and they were awful. I love guacomole though and I've had spinach and artichoke dip and that was pretty good. But as far as the whole cook them and dip the tips in butter I'll have to pass.

Old 09-11-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

How long did you cook them for? Once the leaves have been removed and eaten the fuzzy stuff on the heart can be removed with a spoon or a paring knife. I usually cook mine for about 45 minutes. Great with melted garlic butter.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:40 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
I love guacomole though and I've had spinach and artichoke dip and that was pretty good.
Guacamole is made from avocados. I could eat my weight in guacamole! (and I look like I have! )

Rather than boil your artichokes, Paolita, just put a couple inches of water (I usually add some lemon juice) in the bottom of a pan. Cut across the top of your artichoke so that it will sit flat in the pan. Cook covered, stem side up, 30-40 minutes, depending on the size. Test for doneness by pulling a leaf off. If it pulls off easily, it is done. I don't remove the "choke" until after it is cooked. I peel each leaf off, dip it into mayonnaise or melted butter, and pull it between my teeth to remove the "meat" of it (there is just a small amount on each leaf). When I get to the choke (fuzzy part), I scrape it off with a spoon. Then I eat the heart. I don't eat mayonnaise very often, but I love artichokes dipped in mayonnaise. I like them dipped in melted butter sometimes too, but I prefer mayonnaise. Artichokes are a food that you have to acquire a taste for. The first time I had one, I didn't like it.

Barbara
Old 09-11-2005, 08:45 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Barbara L is right on. I love artichokes and her way of making them is wonderful. By the way, the stem of the artichoke is almost as good as the heart.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:46 PM   #6
Master Chef

The fresh artichokes I see in our local stores always look kind of tired and are pretty pricey, so I just buy the canned ones.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:51 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
The fresh artichokes I see in our local stores always look kind of tired and are pretty pricey, so I just buy the canned ones.
I have had bad ones but when they are in season and fairly fresh they are wonderful. I do enjoy canned ones but the taste is not the same. I live in Idaho and we still can get good fresh artichokes once in a while. When the price drops is usually when they are at their best.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:41 PM   #8
Master Chef

Total blonde moment Barbara
Old 09-12-2005, 12:43 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
. I don't eat mayonnaise very often, but I love artichokes dipped in mayonnaise. I
I also dip artichoke leaves in mayonnaise, but I mix a little lemon juice with the mayonnaise for some zip.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:36 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Thanx for the advice. I will buy some more artichokes next time I go to the market. I love the hearts and sometimes buy them canned and conserved with olive oil. I use a little of the oil to marinate my chicken (I usually dice it) and then I cook the chicken in with some artichoke hearts. Served over rice or fresh linguine is a delicious choice!

I think last time I left my artichokes on the stove for over an hour. Perhaps it was too much time and that is why they were kinda soggy.
Paolita

Tags
None