Aubergines - aka eggplant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're asking a near impossible question. Aubergines (aka eggplants) can be fixed in literally thousands & thousands of ways. Have you done any searches on "cooking aubergines" or "cooking eggplant"? If you do you'll see what I mean.

They can be baked, fried, stirfried, steamed, stuffed; done Asian style, Italian style, Moroccan style, Greek style, Indian style - frankly, they're a truly international vegetable.

Which is why it's virtually impossible to answer your question without knowing more specifically what you're interested in doing with them. If you've never eaten them before, trying them at a restaurant might be your first step.

this might sound dumb but do you cut the black skin away or is there flesh in side or what . I am clueless with this veg

Nick - it's not a question of sounding dumb, but you obviously didn't read what I wrote. Have you ever eaten eggplant? And have you done any internet searches on it? Because I sort of doubt it if you don't realize that yes, there is flesh inside. If you're clueless, doing at least a little bit of searching on your own will go a long long way towards figuring out how you might like this vegetable best.

As far as the "black skin" goes - once again, it totally depends on what you want to make, how you want to cook it, & personal preference. There's no "yes or no" answer to your question.

Take the plunge - just type in "cooking aubergine" &/or "cooking eggplant" into your search box. Then come back with questions.

For a start - what type of cooking do you like best? Italian, Asian, etc., etc.? At least that can help us give you some suggestions.

Hi, Nick. You might want to start off with an easy one, to see how you like eggplant. Here's a baked eggplant dish with tomatoes: Roasted Eggplant and Tomatoes With Parmesan Cheese - Eggplant and Tomatoes Recipe

Here are a bunch more eggplant recipes: Eggplant Recipes

Pick one or two that sound good to you and give them a try. Like anything else, some people like eggplant and some don't; some like it some ways but not others. One of my favorite eggplant dishes is moussaka - a layered ground beef, tomato and eggplant dish topped with bechamel sauce. HTH.

depending on recipe, skin can be left on

you can peal it and slice it in rounds or strips

you can saute it with other veg (tomatoes peppers zucchini etc for a ratatouille) or bread and fry for eggplant parm or just fried eggplant for dipping in your fave sauce.

It is a mild veg. Great in Greek and Italian and Asian cuisines.

If it tastes bitter (try a little slice raw) salt it gently and let it drain the water out...bitterness will come out too. FOr frying it is porobably good to do that so it doesn't get soggy anyway.

FLavor raw is a little like a mellon, not as sweet. the texture becomes very soft and silky or custardy when cooked.

Recipes to research:

eggplant parmesan

caponata (a sweet and sour saute, great as an appetizer on toasts)

mousaka

ratatouille

enjoy!

My favorite is to slice it, dip in flour then egg then bread crumbs and then fry it up. You then can use it to for eggplant parm (cover with sauce and cheese, bake) or just eat it sprinkled with a little cheese or top a pizza with it. I like mine dipped in a Russian dressing. So hope you find lots of fun ways to cook and enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom