"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta View Post
Hi Maverick, you indicated you are not adventurous nor is your husband but I did have to chime in about cuisines that have extremely flavorful vegetarian dishes. No offense but steamed veggies or creamed or just even plain roasted are pretty bland and not everyone's cup of tea.

Have you tried Asian cuisines that dress up the veggies so well that you don't miss the meat.

I would say if not try some stir frys and carrots in them will be an easy sell. I am Indian and given majority of Indians are vegetarians there are many many creative options.

For example creamed spinach made as Saag has so much oomph and flavor that you would never miss meat. Same with eggplant and cauliflower. If you eat Aloo Gobi (translated as cauliflower and potatoes) with all the fragrant spices you would not miss meat. Again it takes a full spice pantry and some adventure to try these.

I also love Italian and Middle Eastern dishes and they also make use of vegetables in a very creative way. If you eat a falafel sandwich you know what I mean. You can stack in a lot of veggies and the little fritters are made of beans.
You mean my wife. I am the husband, LOL.

On here I am usually referring to my cooking at home. I am not very adventurous as you stated. If given a TNT recipe I will try something for the first time, but I am always worrying about whether or not it is 'above' my skill or not.
My wife, on the other hand, has no such inhibitions and will just leap into something for the first time, she doesn't worry as much about it not turning out so well.
But when we go out, that is a different matter altogether. Chinese from Chinatown, Korean, Indian, French Vietnamese, Malaysian, Thia, etc. I think next on our list is Ethiopian.
That does remind me, about the spinach: We did try a curry from one of our favorite Indian restaurants on Devon in West Rogers Park that was spinach and goat cheese. It was great and I scarfed it right down! I love the Naan as well as the Tandoori. Most times we go there, we don't even have meat unless it is part of the Tandoori Platter.

Edit: And I forgot, there was a great restaurant in Rolling Meadows called Chow Patti that was a vegetarian restaurant, very good food!

Old 02-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #12
Head Chef

Sorry the names don't necessarily tell me the gender so I will remember that next time. Yes I live in the northwest side of Chicago and plenty of options for Indian (India House, Thai Garden, Hot Wok, Bamboo Hut etc.) and other cuisines on this side as well but again a lot of these are easy to prepare at home and if you eat the different cuisines it should not be hard to get veggies in your diet.

Also as I stated start out with a spice pantry and some Asian sauces then it's not that intimidating.

My recommendation is that if you ever make it to the Northwest suburbs (look like you do since you mentioned Rolling Meadows) go to Vali foods (they have two locations - Arlington Heights Road and Golf Road and second Higgins Road and Roselle Road). They have a lot of ethnic type ingredients and the prices are also very good. Stock up and then try to venture into a dish one step at a time.

All the best.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #13
Head Chef

Yakuta always has great ideas. Indian cuisine has so many fantatic veggie reciepes - if there is any dish better than Saag, well I don't know about it.

And there are many far eastern recipes that are fantastic.

Also, one can cook veggies with meat, or seafood, or at least meat broths.

Right now am thinking about kale and ham shanks.

Or make string beans with ham bits.

Focusing in on Southern US cooking. Nathalee Dupree has a recipe for new potatoes with English peas that I doubt anyone could dislike.

Or can make fried corn.

And I have not even hit Chinese cuisine.

We are omnivores and cook with both meat and veggies. And sometimes eat just a veggie meal because it tastes good.

But veggies can be made to be delightful. And if you have to add some meat stork or pieces of beef the vetties can sometimes be made better.

Tossing out the dreaded cauliflower, the OK, but not adored, broccoli, or the adored asparagus can be dealt with.

But there is a whole world of veggie dishes out there. And as a committed meat eater, at least some of the time, I love veggies.

think you could get your bf to enjoy some of the stuff.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the replies. However, I'm looking for an idea to add as a side. Like when I do a starch, meat...and then a veggie.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Green bean casserole....Squash casserole....Fried Squash patties...Fried Okra....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #16
Master Chef

Mk3gurl - you just need to venture far far beyond the 3 common vegetables your boyfriend dislikes.

Good grief - there are literally hundreds of different varieties of vegetables out there. Your boyfriend just doesn't like THREE of them - LOL!!!

What about peas & beans (green snap, yellow wax, sugar snap, snow pea, English green pea), greens (Swiss chard, spinach, collards, turnip greens, mustard greens), root vegetables (beets, celeriac, parsnips, carrots), squash (zucchini, yellow summer, winter squashes) - Lord, one really can't list them all. These are just the most common ones found at most supermarkets & farmers' markets.

Edited to add that it probably wouldn't hurt to start trying different salad greens either. What you describe isn't "adventurous" in any possible sense of the word - lol!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3_gurl View Post
Thanks for the replies. However, I'm looking for an idea to add as a side. Like when I do a starch, meat...and then a veggie.
How about mock mashed potatoes, made with cauliflower? If you don't tell him, he'll never know the difference.

Or, you could just bop him on the forehead, like in the commercials.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:43 PM   #18
Head Chef

two choices.. don't serve those three veggies, serve enough for yourself with something else for him(he won't care, trust me...).
Old 02-19-2008, 08:06 PM   #19
Senior Cook

A nice salad would be great. My sister doesn't really care for vegetables but she'll eat some green leaf or romaine lettuce with apples, pecans and cheese with some sweet onion vinagrette. It's really nice and sometimes, when the green leaf lettuce is a little bitter, the apples balance it beautifully.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3_gurl View Post
My bf doesn't like : broccoli, asparagus, and califlower.
My husband didn't like them either when we got married, but he has learned to love broccoli, asparagus, and brussels sprouts since then, and he will eat raw cauliflower on a salad.
I don't think he'd ever had them prepared properly, and his tastes have probably matured, as well.

Tags
None