"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-31-2007, 01:14 AM   #1
Cook

Breakfast potatoes

I love all forms of breakfast potatoes. Hash browns, country fries, cubed and seasoned, skillet, or spiced, they're all great.

The problem is that I don't know how to make any of them. Which are reasonable to make at home and how do I actually do it?

Old 10-31-2007, 01:35 AM   #2
Cook

when I make hash browns, I have a cheese grater that I use and I peel and grate the potatoes and fry them in a skillet. my favorite is fried potatoes and chopped onions.
with scrambled eggs and chorizo. with bacon and biscuits and gravy.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
My favorite would be seasoned and diced with diced veggies, namely onion and poblano pepper. I'm not necessarily opposed to other veggies, but these are my go to choices. When I say seasoned, I mean to your preference. I do like multiple seasonings, but I also like (actually prefer with the aforementioned veggies) only S&P and garlic (usually powder as that is what is more commonly on hand).
Old 10-31-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I save all my bacon grease for fried potatoes or hash browns. I just take left over cold potatoes and slice, cube or grate. Hash browns I try to under cook the potatoes, so they grate easier. Yum, can't beat them. Love hash brown omelets. Adding diced onions or diced green peppers are good too. My son like grated cheese when served with them.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L. View Post
I save all my bacon grease for fried potatoes or hash browns. I just take left over cold potatoes and slice, cube or grate. Hash browns I try to under cook the potatoes, so they grate easier. Yum, can't beat them. Love hash brown omelets. Adding diced onions or diced green peppers are good too. My son like grated cheese when served with them.
I too bake the potatoes first a little underdone, then shred, cube or slice them in my Food Processor for hash browns, cottage fries or American fries. And bacon grease is indeed the best thing to fry potatoes in. Adding onion and chopped green or red peppers makes them O'Brien potatoes, my husbands all time favorite.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:50 PM   #6
Master Chef

They all sold in frozen section of any grocery store, just fallow the instructions.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:14 PM   #7
Master Chef

My favorite homemade breakfast potatoes are either leftover boiled potatoes from another meal or ones boiled specifically for this purpose. In that case I just boil unpeeled waxy thin-skinned potatoes until just tender & then cool completely. Slice & saute in an obscene amount of butter until brown/crispy on the outside, season with salt, pepper &/or Hungarian Hot paprika, & serve. Yum!!
Old 10-31-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
Master Chef

I nuke potatoes until they are almost cooked. From there I bake, slice, grate .... whatever prep. It cuts down on cooking time, which is an issue in the summer (my kitchen is not air conditioned). I also have a tendency to get hot flashes when I fry anything, which is no fun. One hint is to first heat some vegetable oil in your skillet, then add a dab of butter. Frying in pure butter is a pain since it burns so easily. At any rate, microwaving until they are almost done (it would be nice if I could be more helpful at timing, but microwave ovens vary drastically in power). I nuke for one less potato than the manual says (in other words, if I'm making 2 potatoes, I nuke what the instructions say to do for one). Then I slice or cube or grate or stick in a high heat oven (450) to finish, crisp, etc.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
They all sold in frozen section of any grocery store, just fallow the instructions.
The frozen potatoes are no way as good as home made. They also contain a lot of ingredients I don't care to put in my mouth. I want potatoes, period. O'Brien's from the freezer taste like O'Brien's from the freezer. Not the same.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

I love hashbrowns! My favorite is to have them with pepper and ketchup on top, I also like adding grated cheese like pepper jack or smoked cheddar and diced onions. You can't go wrong with potatoes!

lpb

Tags
None